F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Ceramic Coating
Studio RSR

07-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #23
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
I think the ceramic coatings (with hydrophobic top coatings) make most sense if you are not a regular cleaner/detailer of your cars... as they protect the underlying finish from the fall out and dirt...

For me, the Golf was the first I had done and I got it done specifically because I knew it would spend longer periods dirty and so I wanted something to protect the underlying paintwork from degrading because of that and the coatings fitted that bill exactly... It's a £500 job up here to have the car machine polished with the coatings.. including protection for wheels and interior... that is for GTecnique (sp?) products with a 5 year life...

I either cleaned it by hand (now and again) or took it back to the detailers for a wash... Avoiding roller washes etc helps prevent surface damage/degradation of the coatings..,.
That is exactly my reasoning, I am beyond the sunday ritual of cleaning these days so it gets done when I am going somewhere and want it to be clean, or its so embarrassing I cant see / put up with it any longer. Given I cant see it without making a special effort or actually going out in it, that doesnt happen often!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 03:24 PM   #24
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
That is exactly my reasoning, I am beyond the sunday ritual of cleaning these days so it gets done when I am going somewhere and want it to be clean, or its so embarrassing I cant see / put up with it any longer. Given I cant see it without making a special effort or actually going out in it, that doesnt happen often!
One of the benefits of getting the treatment done, for me, is that my detailers can then put it back into "brand new penny" state with simply a £20 clean, including fall-out removal...

Granted, I could also, for £0, but when you think they will do it for not much more than an IMO (well, maybe less, as they include an interior clean up as well for that)... I have normally lost interest (code for got tired) by the time I have washed off the fall-out remover and filled up the snow foam bottle...

The Golf was in amazing condition in this respect after two years... Think it was only washed less than 10 times and shone like a new penny when it went...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #25
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
One of the benefits of getting the treatment done, for me, is that my detailers can then put it back into "brand new penny" state with simply a £20 clean, including fall-out removal...

Granted, I could also, for £0, but when you think they will do it for not much more than an IMO (well, maybe less, as they include an interior clean up as well for that)... I have normally lost interest (code for got tired) by the time I have washed off the fall-out remover and filled up the snow foam bottle...

The Golf was in amazing condition in this respect after two years... Think it was only washed less than 10 times and shone like a new penny when it went...
Same here buts its £35 to allow for south east costs..... worth the coating cost just to get him to come and do that for me!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #26
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:

I think we use the same detailer!

He tells me Gtechniq recommend washing only around once a month to help preserve the ceramic coating and, if I lived a little more local, I agree his £20 wash is good value. But for me it's around 45 minutes each way and, more significantly, I hate having a dirty car and couldn't live with it being mucky for weeks at a time; fortunately I'm happy to wash it myself and have the time to do so!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 05:06 PM   #27
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:

He tells me Gtechniq recommend washing only around once a month to help preserve the ceramic coating and, if I lived a little more local, I agree his £20 wash is good value. But for me it's around 45 minutes each way and, more significantly, I hate having a dirty car and couldn't live with it being mucky for weeks at a time; fortunately I'm happy to wash it myself and have the time to do so!
Aye, we do, and they are well deserving of their reputation…

… and, yes, it is really handy having them on the doorstep…
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C

Last edited by DaveA; 07-26-2021 at 04:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 01:18 AM   #28
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Drive to them? Mine does the maintenance wash at home.... I just have to go to him for coating top ups....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 04:40 AM   #29
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Drive to them? Mine does the maintenance wash at home.... I just have to go to him for coating top ups....
They have an indoor area to do all the polishing and coating etc in a controlled environment…
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 07:56 AM   #30
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They have an indoor area to do all the polishing and coating etc in a controlled environment…
They do although when I was there last week he was talking about the possibility of starting to do mobile valets at people's homes or places of work. However, I think it's a matter of recruiting and/or teaming-up with the right resources to enable him to do it - quite understandably he doesn't want his name and brand damaged by people who aren't up to the job and I get the impression finding the right calibre of individual isn't easy at the moment!

I'm also not sure they'd travel as far as me just to do a wash although I suppose they might if there were a couple in the area to make it worth their while. However, quite genuinely the washing isn't a problem for me - I know some hate doing it but saddo that I am I often find it quite therapeutic!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 11:37 AM   #31
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
They do although when I was there last week he was talking about the possibility of starting to do mobile valets at people's homes or places of work. However, I think it's a matter of recruiting and/or teaming-up with the right resources to enable him to do it - quite understandably he doesn't want his name and brand damaged by people who aren't up to the job and I get the impression finding the right calibre of individual isn't easy at the moment!

I'm also not sure they'd travel as far as me just to do a wash although I suppose they might if there were a couple in the area to make it worth their while. However, quite genuinely the washing isn't a problem for me - I know some hate doing it but saddo that I am I often find it quite therapeutic!
Yes, indeed, I was chatting with him the other week and finding the right people is difficult for any business like that where the quality of work is paramount for reputation...

I used to love washing the cars but, frankly, it's got a bit much for me these days to do it to the level that I would want to... ergo the change in tactic to a ceramic coating... Before, I just had a good, thorough (and most importantly, very regular) routine and didn't really need a ceramic coating...

The product I was most impressed with, to be honest, was not the ceramic on the paintwork (although I am impressed) but the protection to the wheels... Never had a set of wheels look so good for so long as with the coatings...
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      07-15-2021, 03:44 PM   #32
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Quote:
Heard good things about Raceglaze water filters but hadn't realised they were just rebrands of something made by someone else!
Or these guys , I have one…

https://daqua.co.uk/
      07-15-2021, 05:39 PM   #33
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Quote:

The product I was most impressed with, to be honest, was not the ceramic on the paintwork (although I am impressed) but the protection to the wheels... Never had a set of wheels look so good for so long as with the coatings...
Agreed and I have never had sets of wheels that were easy to clean before applying sets with ceramic protection
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 05:58 AM   #34
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

The 135 is now confirmed in with them from Monday for its treatments... I think I will stick with the 5 year ceramic coating and put the extra towards having the Hydro coating and wheel/interior coatings renewed periodically... The Golf lasted two winters and a summer and I would say the hydro and wheel coatings were just about getting to a stage where they ought to be refreshed...
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      07-24-2021, 07:44 AM   #35
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Quote:
The 135 is now confirmed in with them from Monday for its treatments... I think I will stick with the 5 year ceramic coating and put the extra towards having the Hydro coating and wheel/interior coatings renewed periodically... The Golf lasted two winters and a summer and I would say the hydro and wheel coatings were just about getting to a stage where they ought to be refreshed...
Who are you using for it ?
      07-24-2021, 07:50 AM   #36
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwils View Post
Who are you using for it ?
These guys...

https://theshiningmonkeys.com

Used to be in Stockton but moved over to Cowpen Bewley not too long ago...

They did an awesome job on the Golf... You can check out the work they do over on their FB page...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 07:56 AM   #37
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Here's the car immediately after the gloss enhancement and protection...

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=100
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 08:56 AM   #38
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Quote:
Here's the car immediately after the gloss enhancement and protection...

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=100
Wow, nice looking car.
Appreciate 1
DaveA1794.50