F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Wheel Cleaner
GetBMWParts

07-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #23
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
They were filthy...and I’ve seen several times.
why don't you just call him?
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2018, 10:19 PM   #24
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vooonoo View Post
Do you know what color the liquid was? Honestly it's probably a diluted solution of Dawn, bc it's cheaper than them buying wheel cleaner

i've used this and it works pretty well https://www.amazon.com/Best-Wheel-Ti.../dp/B014V9GFJU
I've used that too and it's nowhere near as good as either of the Sonax products.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 10:24 PM   #25
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
why don't you just call him?
MIA
Appreciate 1
rjd5981769.50
      07-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #26
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Most all turn some shade of red in YouTube demonstrations.

What is the stronger stuff called?
I cant recall which one exactly but it was something like Mequiar's wheel brightener D140 or Mequiar's super degreaser 108. The guy didn't dilute but used them full power...it worked but seemed a little strong handed!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 05:59 PM   #27
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Try Meguair's wheel brightener!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #28
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
If it wasn't his own blended mix, my guess is Bilt Hamber...can't get a better wheel cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #29
DarkStarBimmer
Colonol Forbin
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM 330i xDrive

Garage List
2017 330i  [0.00]
have you ever thought about ceramic coating the wheels?

I recently had a few rods and screws put into my spine, so I cannot bend down like I used to so I looked into a few diff things to help me out in upkeep.

After I got my wheels coated, the brake dust really melts off when i use Iron X.

It may be something to think about if you're looking for an easier way to keep the rims clean without having to scrub.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #30
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStarBimmer View Post
have you ever thought about ceramic coating the wheels?

I recently had a few rods and screws put into my spine, so I cannot bend down like I used to so I looked into a few diff things to help me out in upkeep.

After I got my wheels coated, the brake dust really melts off when i use Iron X.

It may be something to think about if you're looking for an easier way to keep the rims clean without having to scrub.
I personally have been thinking about going with Gyeon for the rims.

What are you using?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 10:54 PM   #31
tsm007
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
2003 Honda CBR954RR  [0.00]
Was the wheel cleaner purple? It might have been AMMO NYC product. Ammo plum wheel cleaner. Works really well especially if you're living in a snowy area.
      08-01-2018, 04:58 AM   #32
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

I use sealant on my wheels and that definitely keeps them slick and allows brake dust to come off easily. I use Adam’s Wheel Cleaner (the original with the somewhat foul odor). There’s a newer cleaner out there that’s more bio-friendly but likely doesn’t work as well in removing brake dust. I clean my wheels once a week when I wash the car and it’s been pretty easy to maintain them looking brand new. I also recommend the Adam’s wheel Woolie. It works really well to get into the wheel well behind the rotor even right near the caliper. I no longer have to move the car to allow access to the wheel drum that was hard to reach due to the caliper because I can use the cleaning tool to get in that area.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #33
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

This is going to sound crazy, but I bought a wheel and tire cleaner for 1$ from Dollar Tree. Shit was the most amazing wheel cleaner I've ever used in all my years of car ownership! Sprayed it on, washed it off and I took all brake dust with it. I'll post a pic of the stuff. No staining, no bad smell it just worked crazy good without a brush even. I'm telling you, I've had every wheel cleaner possible, including Ironx and this cheap shit is better! Try it for a 1$. There are even vids on YouTube of it! I swear, spray on, let it work don't touch it, spray off. Rub your wheel with a finger and see if anything is left on! Guarantee you guys won't believe this shit.

Going to grab a case before the secret is out of the bag!! Lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
IK6SPEED4486.00
Diegov209164.50
      08-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #34
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
there is no such thing as a 100% hands free wheel cleaner.

either your wheels were relatively clean to begin with and the detailer just spray wheel cleaner on to get some light dirt off or you might have not watched his whole process.

i'm not trying to rain on your parade i'm just saying ask any detailer and they will agree there is no such thing as a true no agitating wheel cleaner on the market.
100% agree... you can apply the cleaner and pressure wash it off and yes, it will not be "brown or black", however, it NEEDs that contact to be 100% clean. I mean just try it yourself.

Wait 2 weeks to get dirty wheels... Do the no-touch process you want, then make contact with only half the wheel.50/50
      08-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #35
Diegov209
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i Xdrive

Idk if you guys watch thatdudeinblue but he has his patterson care care car cleaning store and I used his wheel cleaner like you guys said it smells horrible but it cleans the wheels very good its the same as iron x, dragon breath etc... Turns purple as well.

Previous:F30 328i 2012 PWG: FBO Vrsf 6 stepped fmic, Afe intake, Catless DP ER, FTP CP's, FTP turbo inlet, GFB DV+, Gplus oil cooler, BM3 stg 2 tune, Cary Jordan E50 tuned stock fuel system.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #36
Diegov209
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperBimmer View Post
This is going to sound crazy, but I bought a wheel and tire cleaner for 1$ from Dollar Tree. Shit was the most amazing wheel cleaner I've ever used in all my years of car ownership! Sprayed it on, washed it off and I took all brake dust with it. I'll post a pic of the stuff. No staining, no bad smell it just worked crazy good without a brush even. I'm telling you, I've had every wheel cleaner possible, including Ironx and this cheap shit is better! Try it for a 1$. There are even vids on YouTube of it! I swear, spray on, let it work don't touch it, spray off. Rub your wheel with a finger and see if anything is left on! Guarantee you guys won't believe this shit.

Im about to go buy some lol. I looked at videos you aint lying lol looks like it works very good.

Previous:F30 328i 2012 PWG: FBO Vrsf 6 stepped fmic, Afe intake, Catless DP ER, FTP CP's, FTP turbo inlet, GFB DV+, Gplus oil cooler, BM3 stg 2 tune, Cary Jordan E50 tuned stock fuel system.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #37
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegov209 View Post
Quote:

Im about to go buy some lol. I looked at videos you aint lying lol looks like it works very good.
Yeah I'm telling you, my wheels had about 2 weeks worth of brake dust on them, and the guy I got them from just took them out of storage. Stored dirty. This dollar tree shit is legit. Not sure if it's ph neutral so I don't let it soak too long. But it works and is damn near almost 100% touchless.

Also about to coat my wheels in Maguire's fast finish. If you guy don't know about this shit!!! Holy crap, polymer hydrophobic sealant that maguires now says can be used on glass, leather, wheels!!!! I did my glass last night, the infamous bmw streaks are no more!!!! 11$ at Walmart. Other companies have to be salty

Don't get suckered into paying a shit ton of money for bs detailing stuff. Biggest scam was grit guard and 2 bucket method. Lol. Sheep
Appreciate 1
Diegov209164.50
      08-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #38
Diegov209
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegov209 View Post
Quote:

Yeah I'm telling you, my wheels had about 2 weeks worth of brake dust on them, and the guy I got them from just took them out of storage. Stored dirty. This dollar tree shit is legit. Not sure if it's ph neutral so I don't let it soak too long. But it works and is damn near almost 100% touchless.

Also about to coat my wheels in Maguire's fast finish. If you guy don't know about this shit!!! Holy crap, polymer hydrophobic sealant that maguires now says can be used on glass, leather, wheels!!!! I did my glass last night, the infamous bmw streaks are no more!!!! 11$ at Walmart. Other companies have to be salty

Don't get suckered into paying a shit ton of money for bs detailing stuff. Biggest scam was grit guard and 2 bucket method. Lol. Sheep
I've never tired the meguiars one I'm definitely going to pick some up tomorrow hopefully they have some at the Dollar tree tomorrow lol I'll let you guys know and post some pics if their is some lol.

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:18 AM   #39
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:

its probably taking your clear coat with it as well. have you tested the PH of the product?
      08-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #40
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Quote:

its probably taking your clear coat with it as well. have you tested the PH of the product?
I have not yet, but can assure you it is not stripping clear coat off of my vmr's. I tested on an old 195 spare I had first. I was concerned about that too. It also didn't seem acidic w skin contact, which wasn't on purpose! Lol
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #41
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:

True, there are some product lines that are a bit pricey, and no one wants to overpay - depends on your budget.

I've liked a number of Meguiar's products, but haven't tried the Ultimate Fast Finish. The box says "Not recommended for glass/windows" - don't know how it does with leather. Can't speak to the durability claim yet, but it would be nice for a car that spends a lot of time outside. Will check to see if it's in the local Walmart store for $11 - it's $17-19 at Advance Auto.

Adam's H2O Guard & Gloss is a similar product - a bit more $ initially, but you get quite a number of uses per bottle. It's a water-activated acrylic resin sealant / protectant that is hydrophobic - safe on windows, wheels & exterior trim. Super-easy to use after a wash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdVpa6jz08c
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #42
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Quote:

True, there are some product lines that are a bit pricey, and no one wants to overpay - depends on your budget.

I've liked a number of Meguiar's products, but haven't tried the Ultimate Fast Finish. The box says "Not recommended for glass/windows" - don't know how it does with leather. Can't speak to the durability claim yet, but it would be nice for a car that spends a lot of time outside. Will check to see if it's in the local Walmart store for $11 - it's $17-19 at Advance Auto.

Adam's H2O Guard & Gloss is a similar product - a bit more $ initially, but you get quite a number of uses per bottle. It's a water-activated acrylic resin sealant / protectant that is hydrophobic - safe on windows, wheels & exterior trim. Super-easy to use after a wash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdVpa6jz08c
Don't waste your money on Adams anything, his shit is made by Chemical Guys and marked up. Get the fast finish and call it a day, it works amazing on windows. Drive through a downpour at 65 with no wipers. Shits amazing. Maguires recently answered detailers on their q&a part of their forum as to multi uses of gas. Finish. It's a hydrophobic polymer so you can use it on pretty much anything, just test for staining. I sprayed the front of my T-shirt and poured water on it, it didn't penetrate and it ran off. Did the same on microfiber towels.

As for expensive bs in the detailing industry, it's all bullshit. Use a product that works for you with the least amount of effort. I know exotic car detailers that use maguires and mothers off the shelf shit. You don't need to spend thousands on shit. Everything from power washers to ruppes buffers are a rip off. Harbor freight and Home Depot can get you the same shit
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #43
Zara
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Haven't seen much talk about this brand but I've recently purchased Forma Car Care's Wheel Cleaner and holy shit.. This is hands down the best wheel cleaner I've ever used. I have satin black wheels and all I do is spray this onto my wheels, use a wheel brush soaked in water to apply the wheel cleaner all over my wheels for 2-3 minutes then rinse my wheel off with a power washer. My wheels look as if they're brand new after cleaning them. The satin black finish actually looks black and not like a "dark gray" if that makes sense and this is after not washing my wheels for 3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 11:19 AM   #44
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

So far I have been able to clean relatively easily (without towel aid) the ceramic coated wheels on one of my cars. I would say they get 95% clean without brushing but if you want a 100% result then a final touch-up with a towel is needed to remove the light residual dirt on the angles and in more hidden spots where one may not have targeted when using the compressor.
For the rest I have been quite happy with Sonax products too. Further I try to clean the wheels 1x every 2 weeks and certainly after any major trip.
Appreciate 0