F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 10 HU discussion
Studio RSR

11-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #1937
serge858
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundan View Post
Before giving up (support from Andream is still non existing..), anyone have experience in how to connect the cables marked in the red circle in the attached picture?
Usually I leave them as they are, just wrap them with the tape. Only for E84 one connector is used for aftermarket iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #1938
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundan View Post
Hi again Mirjam

Looking a bit further on this page, there seems to some more details... but I'm still not 100% sure how to align my cable connection.
https://hifimaxnavi.com/pages/about-...ker-connection

Any idea of this should be done? Should be the same for all that have a dash speaker in the car..
OK, I see now what you are trying to do. But I still think that you haven't found the right cable to the dashboard speaker, it should have two cables, twisted together, the connector in your picture has three.

You seem to have option 677 Top HiFi Harman Kardon or Logic7, with 13 speakers (only option 677 has dashboard speaker, you're sure you have it?). If you do this hack, that speaker will be disconnected from the OEM system, and end up with 12 speakers. That will change the sound stage a little bit. But probably not a big deal, many dislike the dashboard speaker anyway and disconnects it.

And remember that you don't need to have a dedicated speaker, because Android will mute the music when you get a call, and will mute or lower the music volume when navi wants to talk. This speaker hack is for when this doesn't work, or you're experiencing sound distortion.

Also make sure you install the SoundRestorer. This will fix sound distortion from navi and phone, and low volume bug.

Last edited by Mjam; 11-16-2020 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 02:46 PM   #1939
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Thanks for that

Btw. did you manage to get to the bottom of your issue?
You're welcome.

Unfortunately, I was not able to fix either of the units, and have sent them both back. One for a refund, and the other for a replacement, assuming that Avin can actually figure out what is happening. Otherwise, the second one will be a refund as well.

I have reluctantly replaced them with my previous unit, which seems like a bit of a downgrade after having the pop-out unit, but I just couldn't deal with manually fixing the corruption issue EVERY time I started the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 06:16 PM   #1940
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

Is this bug still present in the latest versions? Android is set to sync the clock with the car. This works flawlessly, unless I put the gear in reverse before Android has booted, in that case the clock will be out of sync for a couple of minutes.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2020, 10:51 PM   #1941
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
Is this bug still present in the latest versions? Android is set to sync the clock with the car. This works flawlessly, unless I put the gear in reverse before Android has booted, in that case the clock will be out of sync for a couple of minutes.

Anyone else experiencing this?
I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I noticed some time ago that in the factory_config.xml file, the string for time sync is written as such:

Code:
<TimeSyncSoucrce>0</TimeSyncSoucrce>
Either the spelling needs to be corrected, or this spelling "mistake" has been the valid string for some time, and now the INCORRECT spelling is somehow the appropriate string that the head unit looks for because manufacturers never bothered to fix it.

Perhaps Kri has some insight into this.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 12:46 AM   #1942
serge858
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried installing a smaller boot animation? As I read RedErik's reply to you, that should overwrite the existing bootanimation.zip and solve the problem.

Choose a default one, or shrink the custom one by deleting every second picture (like picture #2, #4, #6, ...).
Tried to change for the default static one, no effect unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 01:44 AM   #1943
airshaq20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
Looking interessting, but at least is a different OS installed than on the SD625 that are normally discussed here.

So either its a successor of our SD625 Headunits which is brand new, or a fake Android 10 Headunit as also appeared recently.

The only definite downside i see is that the display seems to glare alot, so it does not have blueglare antiglare, which would be at least mandatory for me.

Kri
Just want to share, I recently bought a 10.25" SD625 from AvinUSA.
Day after I got it, I went back to their support site - found out they also sell the 12.3" which is also a SD625. Their support chat told me, the only difference is screen. It has same everything (connections, internal hardware, chips, OS).

The unit came in today and I can confirm this. I updated it using the new firmware you posted. I did not even have to remove the cabling - except for the ones that plugs to the unit itself.

Loving the added 2" of real estate for sure!
Appreciate 1
MrChang36.00
      11-17-2020, 06:57 AM   #1944
Papisurf
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Hello, I have a Movistar car that goes through Wi-Fi, since the last update it no longer connects by itself, I have to disable Wi-Fi direct so that the Wi-Fi turns on, I have to do this every time I turn on the radio, any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:28 AM   #1945
lundan
Rep

Quote:
OK, I see now what you are trying to do. But I still think that you haven't found the right cable to the dashboard speaker, it should have two cables, twisted together, the connector in your picture has three.

You seem to have option 677 Top HiFi Harman Kardon or Logic7, with 13 speakers (only option 677 has dashboard speaker, you're sure you have it?). If you do this hack, that speaker will be disconnected from the OEM system, and end up with 12 speakers. That will change the sound stage a little bit. But probably not a big deal, many dislike the dashboard speaker anyway and disconnects it.

And remember that you don't need to have a dedicated speaker, because Android will mute the music when you get a call, and will mute or lower the music volume when navi wants to talk. This speaker hack is for when this doesn't work, or you're experiencing sound distortion.

Also make sure you install the SoundRestorer. This will fix sound distortion from navi and phone, and low volume bug.
Thanks Mirjam for the detailed feedback :-)

To make it all a bit more clear I disconnected all again today.
Please see attached schematics of how to white and grey cables are connected (one pair of whites and one pair of greys).

From navigation point of view, I get voice from Google Maps when listening to OEM radio without having the AUX connected. The quality of the voice sound is not great in this scenario.

My main interest/concern is what this cable connection actually do, my guess is sound output from Android unit (bit it's not isolated to the middle speaker on the dash, which I confirm exists :-)).

About the SoundRestorer, I will look into this (need to check if it's easy to revert back if activating).

Thanks!!

Update:
After some search I have concluded that the cable connects to the left speaker.
So apparently, there is a separate channel for navigation voice that is separated from the AUX connection :-) This allows navigation voice from Google while listening to OEM radio.

However, I got a lot of noice from the center dash speaker.. not constantly though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #1946
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airshaq20 View Post
Just want to share, I recently bought a 10.25" SD625 from AvinUSA.
Day after I got it, I went back to their support site - found out they also sell the 12.3" which is also a SD625. Their support chat told me, the only difference is screen. It has same everything (connections, internal hardware, chips, OS).

The unit came in today and I can confirm this. I updated it using the new firmware you posted. I did not even have to remove the cabling - except for the ones that plugs to the unit itself.

Loving the added 2" of real estate for sure!
I too have tried two of those Avin 12.3 units and had nothing but problems with them (search the forums if you want to find out more, I'm not going to repost here as I'm sure people are sick of reading my posts on the issue).

As a quick check, put it into reverse immediately as you start the car (don't wait for the screen to boot) and see if the screen acts funny or corrupts in any way. That's one of the tell-tale signs of those aforementioned problems. If it works fine, then you should be in the clear and are one of the lucky ones that the screens work fine for. Best of luck, take care.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 06:04 PM   #1947
HEEDlight
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20_M135i View Post
Hello,
I have been using an Android 9.0 HU for 2 years but : the Xsafe / T3S cameras are fake, just look at their resolution and size .... The best algorithms will not do miracles with this type of material and certainly will not sold at these prices!
There are basic driving assistance software to be associated with high-performance cameras (720P minimum).
the best apps for speed cameras and safe road in France are WAZE / CAMSAMPLUS / RADARBOTPRO
Personally I installed the recommended camera here for 12 euros (version without wifi and without TF card) I installed it in 10 minutes and connected to one of the USB sockets of my HU, I see that the result is the same as in the cameras you offer in your link. For the price, I like this result :

Thanx! I actually habe the same camera but which App are you using for this Street an Distance recognition?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #1948
airshaq20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvntHrzn View Post
I too have tried two of those Avin 12.3 units and had nothing but problems with them (search the forums if you want to find out more, I'm not going to repost here as I'm sure people are sick of reading my posts on the issue).

As a quick check, put it into reverse immediately as you start the car (don't wait for the screen to boot) and see if the screen acts funny or corrupts in any way. That's one of the tell-tale signs of those aforementioned problems. If it works fine, then you should be in the clear and are one of the lucky ones that the screens work fine for. Best of luck, take care.

Too late - I already return the 10.25" today to Avin.
I guess I will just rely on my Amex's 2 year coverage for warranty. If it breaks then I'll have Amex take care of that for me. Thanks for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #1949
coniman
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchodan View Post
Are there any benefits to this besides avoiding the AUX cord running into the glovebox? I was able to hide the cord easily behind the center console panel so it's not visible. I'm interested in making this coding change, but I don't necessarily want to give up USB support.

You may get a very small improvement in audio quality, less cable = better audio quality, if you managed to hide it and don't want to loose USB leave it like that. I don't care about loosing USB in iDrive because I'm going to use always the USB from the screen. I've bought some USB cables to connect the original connector in the armrest to the screen.
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2020, 03:02 AM   #1950
serge858
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvntHrzn View Post

BTW I noticed that issue on my 10.25 screen. I had it only once or twice but it doesn't affect on overall device usage. As a solution just give a few secs before switch to reverse.

Last edited by serge858; 11-18-2020 at 05:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 04:53 AM   #1951
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M140i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEEDlight View Post
Thanx! I actually habe the same camera but which App are you using for this Street an Distance recognition?
I used the software that was included in the camera (dvr.apk) but this one is then displayed "Safety Cam" in the APPS. I would put you here a link to this program which seems to work only with this USB camera. I tried lots of other software in the PlayStore but not all of them detected the presence of this USB camera, maybe a bug? I don't know if ANDROID 9 is able to manage an external USB camera ...

Besides, this program name would have to be in the DVR APK list in the factoryconfig.xml file for it to work from the HU dashboard, you think?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #1952
HEEDlight
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
I used the software that was included in the camera (dvr.apk) but this one is then displayed "Safety Cam" in the APPS. I would put you here a link to this program which seems to work only with this USB camera. I tried lots of other software in the PlayStore but not all of them detected the presence of this USB camera, maybe a bug? I don't know if ANDROID 9 is able to manage an external USB camera ...

Besides, this program name would have to be in the DVR APK list in the factoryconfig.xml file for it to work from the HU dashboard, you think?
Thats weird I have this app, but I dont see the track guarding lines and distance numbers.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:40 AM   #1953
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M140i Xdrive

Hello,
you have to click on the screen, then choose in the right icons, the second and choose to display the ADAS lines (there are plenty of other options) I didn't have time to post the APK here yesterday, but i will do it tomorrow
Good day people
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 02:54 AM   #1954
elnino72
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw E92 320I

Quote:
Hello,
you have to click on the screen, then choose in the right icons, the second and choose to display the ADAS lines (there are plenty of other options) I didn't have time to post the APK here yesterday, but i will do it tomorrow
Good day people
Can you find a guide to set up the application at its best?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 04:15 AM   #1955
blyatman
Rep
Drives: e71

Quote:
Some people had issues when USB stick was formatted under MacOS. It says it's MS-DOS FAT32 file format, but Mac does something with FAT32 that Android doesn't like. If you can try formatting your USB stick under Windows (different machine or vm).

Also the button you where trying to press where factory splash images are, is only for importing mylogo.zip files containing multiple splash images.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
Quick solution if you know adb:

Code:
adb connect  ip:5555
adb root
adb remount
adb shell rm /mnt/vendor/persist/bootanimation.zip
Still had no time to do a enduser friendly batch file.

Kri
Someone can explain, how to do this step by step?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:00 AM   #1956
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blyatman View Post
Someone can explain, how to do this step by step?
EvntHrzn prepared a batch file for it here.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:32 AM   #1957
blyatman
Rep
Drives: e71

Quote:
EvntHrzn prepared a batch file for it here.
Should i download bat file to the android and run? or firstly root required?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:41 AM   #1958
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blyatman View Post
Should i download bat file to the android and run? or firstly root required?
Batch file is to be run on Windows machine. You need to connect both Android HU and Windows machine to the same local network and run this script.
Appreciate 0