F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Alcantara / dry carbon trim without the M stitching?
proTUNING Freaks

03-13-2024, 02:28 PM   #1
SharpDrives
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Alcantara / dry carbon trim without the M stitching?

Has anyone seen an interior trim kit just like the M performance without the stitching? I'm obsessed with dry carbon, but I really don't like how the M Performance stitched on looks, are there any decent aftermarket options just without that stitching? Otherwise I guess I need to go all wet carbon, my ocd would kill me if I mismatched haha
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 04:28 PM   #2
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpDrives View Post
Has anyone seen an interior trim kit just like the M performance without the stitching? I'm obsessed with dry carbon, but I really don't like how the M Performance stitched on looks, are there any decent aftermarket options just without that stitching? Otherwise I guess I need to go all wet carbon, my ocd would kill me if I mismatched haha
Can't say I've come across any however you could always remove the backing plate of the OEM M Performance trim. It's only plastic welded on and can be reattached with glue and some small self tapping screws.

I wrapped mine in a laser cut piece of alcantara to replicate the GTS perforations.

As for going gloss.. not sure if you already have a dry carbon set right now, but making it gloss again (if) on OEM wouldn't look quite perfect. You can make it gloss by building up some resin layers, then having it clear coated, however the real kicker would be the weave as it'll appear very dark.

OEM gloss carbon comes out of a mould rather than hand laid, when it's in a mould the individual strands are pressed firmly flat whilst curing giving off a more unified look, this is what gives each tow of the twill a solid and brighter look.. on hand laid gloss or OEM "dry carbon" you see the individual strands that make up each tow, this darkens everything quite a lot.
      03-13-2024, 10:58 PM   #3
SharpDrives
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post
Can't say I've come across any however you could always remove the backing plate of the OEM M Performance trim. It's only plastic welded on and can be reattached with glue and some small self tapping screws.

I wrapped mine in a laser cut piece of alcantara to replicate the GTS perforations.

As for going gloss.. not sure if you already have a dry carbon set right now, but making it gloss again (if) on OEM wouldn't look quite perfect. You can make it gloss by building up some resin layers, then having it clear coated, however the real kicker would be the weave as it'll appear very dark.

OEM gloss carbon comes out of a mould rather than hand laid, when it's in a mould the individual strands are pressed firmly flat whilst curing giving off a more unified look, this is what gives each tow of the twill a solid and brighter look.. on hand laid gloss or OEM "dry carbon" you see the individual strands that make up each tow, this darkens everything quite a lot.
No carbon in my car yet, which is why I’m trying to be strategic. I love dry carbon, but don’t really love the m performance stitching. So I’m trying to decide if I should get it anyway to match the shifter and all that, or go wet carbon for everythjng just to match. It’s tough.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 07:25 AM   #4
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

I believe the only kits I have seen online are just stick on covers.

Your best bet would be to buy a £30 used set on eBay and then have someone skin it. It'll actually be super easy for whoever does the work as it'll be one coat of resin and then paint with satin lacquer.

If you're DIY friendly then it could make a pretty satisfying project for you. There's no huge skill required as you don't need to level the resin.

Dismantle the trims, key the surface, apply a base coat of resin and wait 2 hours until it's tacky, lay your carbon cloth on top and let it set for a few hours, apply a single layer of resin and let it cure for 24 hours. Then just trim the excess with a dremel and lacquer. Whilst you're there you can wrap the main panel in plain alcantara too, as you only want it to be plain you just need contact adhesive.
      03-14-2024, 10:20 AM   #5
SharpDrives
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post
I believe the only kits I have seen online are just stick on covers.

Your best bet would be to buy a £30 used set on eBay and then have someone skin it. It'll actually be super easy for whoever does the work as it'll be one coat of resin and then paint with satin lacquer.

If you're DIY friendly then it could make a pretty satisfying project for you. There's no huge skill required as you don't need to level the resin.

Dismantle the trims, key the surface, apply a base coat of resin and wait 2 hours until it's tacky, lay your carbon cloth on top and let it set for a few hours, apply a single layer of resin and let it cure for 24 hours. Then just trim the excess with a dremel and lacquer. Whilst you're there you can wrap the main panel in plain alcantara too, as you only want it to be plain you just need contact adhesive.
Hahaha you have way too much faith in me, I’ll leave it to the pros and give them my money happily
Appreciate 2