F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
ARMA SPEED

08-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #793
Geoken
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky007 View Post
Geoken, look at your MCU Version. This time it's CIC-HW7-XXXXXX.

Last time you said you had 023042bGs-CC-HW8-180611[B1280_170325]. Maybe that is the difference?

How did you connect Audio? To AUX in with audio cable?

Expand from 6.5" unit to 10.25 full screen only works if you have NBT head unit. He has CIC head unit
Hi Wacky007
I had two version previously (CIC and CCC) and neither worked. You are correct that the latest version is probably why its working better. I also think there is a new power cable/wires in the harness.

Yes I connected audio via the AUX Out on the harness to the standard AUX IN on the car. Need to go to iDrive Multimedia menu to select AUX to get sound.

Yes CIC head unit. Thus CIC MCU.
I did a couple of small trips this morning and its working ok. Booted to iDrive twice but wait about 20 to 30 seconds and it connects to Android.

About to leave for a long drive. Will update you when I get back on tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #794
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamgrewt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova66 View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation to get text messages to the head unit, and have them read (text to speech)?
CarPlay (and I’m sure Android Auto) will do this
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamgrewt View Post
Quote:
Does anyone have a recommendation to get text messages to the head unit, and have them read (text to speech)?
CarPlay (and I’m sure Android Auto) will do this
I'm an Android guy... I have yet to get my phone to link up to the head unit. Easy connection doesn't work. Having the head unit is pointless if I have to constantly mess with my phone. I hate to think I need to go Apple to get the functionality I want.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 06:54 AM   #795
Geoken
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'm an Android guy... I have yet to get my phone to link up to the head unit. Easy connection doesn't work. Having the head unit is pointless if I have to constantly mess with my phone. I hate to think I need to go Apple to get the functionality I want.
This is off topic but I have had my Android phone connect once in 3 months. It pairs but doesn't connect. But its not only Android. Can't get an iPhone to connect either. It too pairs but doesn't connect. I've tried 3 different phones without success.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 07:10 AM   #796
Geoken
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoken View Post
Hi Wacky007
I had two version previously (CIC and CCC) and neither worked. You are correct that the latest version is probably why its working better. I also think there is a new power cable/wires in the harness.

Yes I connected audio via the AUX Out on the harness to the standard AUX IN on the car. Need to go to iDrive Multimedia menu to select AUX to get sound.

Yes CIC head unit. Thus CIC MCU.
I did a couple of small trips this morning and its working ok. Booted to iDrive twice but wait about 20 to 30 seconds and it connects to Android.

About to leave for a long drive. Will update you when I get back on tomorrow.
Back from a 750km round trip. The unit performed well. No 'No Signal' issues.
Most of the time it boots to iDrive with that stupid 'confirm' request. The screen is 'frozen' but after about 30 seconds (haven't timed it) it then switches to Android menu.
I have an issue with audio guidance for iGO navigation. Works intermittently. Haven't figured out why. Audio on all other apps is fine. Other than that it is working well.

The unit gets warm. Its winter here and not sure how it will go in the summer. I would suggest the manufacturer puts ventilation in the back of the unit to let the heat disperse (a handy person could cut some slots with a Dremel disk).

Yanzi from Sardincar has provided great support for the product.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #797
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Quote:
This is off topic but I have had my Android phone connect once in 3 months. It pairs but doesn't connect. But its not only Android. Can't get an iPhone to connect either. It too pairs but doesn't connect. I've tried 3 different phones without success.
Quote:
Quote:
Appreciate the response. I am going to follow-up with Louie. Will keep all updated.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #798
losdamianos
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D 2015

Quote:
bit of a hack but it works quite well once setup...
download android auto on your phone and activate android auto server/emulator and leave it running on your phone,
then install head unit reloaded
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=gb.xxy.trial
you can try trial first,
once you connect your head unit to your mobile hotspot and run head unit reloaded on head unit it should load to android auto.

hopefully if we can request this app to be added to whitelist experience will be seamless

here is yt video
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #799
wacky007
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320i

I noticed another issue.

Most of the time I have light on switch on automatic.

When I put light switch on zero 0, light goes to high-beams and brightness of android screen goes to max.

Can you confirm that?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #800
fontiablanco
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
I noticed another issue.

Most of the time I have light on switch on automatic.

When I put light switch on zero 0, light goes to high-beams and brightness of android screen goes to max.

Can you confirm that?
in my car also happens that same
in my car I also carry it in automatic and during the day the angel eyes light up. In that period the brightness is at maximum, but when it gets dark and the road lights turn on, the brightness decreases.

Last edited by fontiablanco; 08-13-2018 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #801
wacky007
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontiablanco View Post
in my car I also carry it in automatic and during the day the angel eyes light up. In that period the brightness is at maximum, but when it gets dark and the road lights turn on, the brightness decreases.
That makes two of us.

Do you mean the brightness of your android screen adjusts automatically according to the outside light? Want to have that feature as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:19 AM   #802
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d M-Sport (2013)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fontiablanco View Post
That makes two of us.

Do you mean the brightness of your android screen adjusts automatically according to the outside light? Want to have that feature as well.
When car lights (not DRL) are on (either by auto or by manually switching them on) the unit brightness decreases due to the fact that is night. The opposite happens when the car lights are off. Unit auto brightness has only these 2 modes based on my experience.

I believe this is a feature and not a bug. :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:54 AM   #803
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

I tried it and when I put the switch on 0 instead of AUTO nothing happens...
I do however get some strange notifications of my car (plong!) that I cannot find anywhere in the idrive for what it was.
doesnt happen frequent and I need to readout my car to see if there are any error logs but nothing major.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 01:29 AM   #804
fontiablanco
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That makes two of us.

Yes it is, exact
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:10 AM   #805
fontiablanco
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike78 View Post
When car lights (not DRL) are on (either by auto or by manually switching them on) the unit brightness decreases due to the fact that is night. The opposite happens when the car lights are off. Unit auto brightness has only these 2 modes based on my experience.

yes, I also understand how characteristic
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 06:30 AM   #806
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d M-Sport (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
I tried it and when I put the switch on 0 instead of AUTO nothing happens...
I do however get some strange notifications of my car (plong!) that I cannot find anywhere in the idrive for what it was.
doesnt happen frequent and I need to readout my car to see if there are any error logs but nothing major.
Have you set full brightness on the unit?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 06:33 AM   #807
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

nope, never changed the setting....
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #808
jd__m4
Captain
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike78 View Post

Mine does this as well (E84)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #809
Nickhawk
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Thats nothing new that the brightness gets dimmed with headlights on, my second gen unit with Android 4.4.4 does it as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #810
wacky007
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Tip: How to reboot your head unit manually

#Tip: How to reboot your android head unit manually

Sometimes you want to clean reboot your android head unit. But since there is no power button, you can do

1. Turn engine/ignition off and wait a few minutes. Restart engine/ignition --> android unit reboots

or

2. You can use Android Terminal Emulator app to execute unix commands

Install the app from Google Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...al.androidterm

Open terminal emulator app and type following commands...

Reboot
Code:
reboot
Shutdown/Poweroff
Code:
reboot -p

FAQ: https://github.com/jackpal/Android-T...sked-Questions

More unix commands to have fun with please see
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1843015
https://github.com/jackpal/Android-T...mand-Reference

Use it at your own risk!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #811
garcijav
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d touring

Quote:
#Tip: How to reboot your android head unit manually

Sometimes you want to clean reboot your android head unit. But since there is no power button, you can do

1. Turn engine/ignition off and wait a few minutes. Restart engine/ignition --> android unit reboots

or

2. You can use Android Terminal Emulator app to execute unix commands

Install the app from Google Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...al.androidterm

Open terminal emulator app and type following commands...

Reboot
Code:
reboot
Shutdown/Poweroff
Code:
reboot -p

FAQ: https://github.com/jackpal/Android-T...sked-Questions

More unix commands to have fun with please see
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1843015
https://github.com/jackpal/Android-T...mand-Reference

Use it at your own risk!
Good idea!

Do you use this program?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #812
Bobbyjee
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

I've been following this thread for a while now for a 7.1.1 unit I fitted on the F10.

Had an issue similar to previous users with a no signal error on startup so wanted to share my experience.
My problem turned out to be the GPS splitter.

The GPS rec that came with the android unit wasn't giving me good enough signal therefore decided to purchase a splitter to use the GPS rec from my F10 shark fin as my car has the idrive navigation (the car came with a a standard 6.5 inch system). I wanted to have the option of using the GPS on idrive and the android screen.
After fitting the GPS splitter...
Day 1 everything worked fine.
Day 2, unlocked the doors, got kids in the car, turned on the car and I got an error. Switched off engine, waited a few minutes, switched on... Error.
Later that day got to the car, fired it up, and there error had gone.
Day 3, got kids in the car, turned the engine and I got the error again.

Decided to revert back to the normal gps rec that came with the android unit to see if it was the GPS splitter. The issue was fixed.
Turns out when you unlock the doors on the car, idrive (navigation unit) has started doing its work. If you go straight into the drivers seat, and fire up the engine the android screen works fine. If you unlock doors wait a min, then fire up the engine, I'd get a no signal error.

Now that I knew the GPS splitter was the culprit, I went to tackle this.

I used the GPS receiver on the car and wired this up direct to android unit, without connecting to the BMW system. tested and all worked well.
The problem now was my idrive BMW navigation didn't have a GPS rec so I decided to use the one that came with the android system and wired this up to the BMW system. Seemed to work flawlessly.

Been a week now. Haven't had any no signal issues. The GPS on the idrive is as responsive as it has ever been. The GPS on the android takes around 30 seconds on startup but perfect after that.

Hope my post help anyone else having similar issues
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #813
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

How do you connect the BMW cable to the Android unit? it is way to short...
Did you use the splitter to connect it without connecting the Idrive (thus leaving a loose connection?)
If I understand you correctly, you nog have the factory GPS on the android unit. Why does it take 30sec to get a loc? I will probably try it as well but perhaps putting a relais in the gps splitter that is switched on after pressing the start button to forward the GPS signal is also a possibility to keep using the original GPS. Any issues on GPS with the ugode rec on the Idrive?
Thanks for the feedback dude, really appreciated!!
For my info, if this is the real issue, none of you guys having the ugode GPS receiver should have the no signal issue at startup. possibly only after a short drive in the sun that the unit is overheated but not the way Bobbyjee and myself describe with a pause after unlocking the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #814
florinbrv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
How do you connect the BMW cable to the Android unit? it is way to short...
Did you use the splitter to connect it without connecting the Idrive (thus leaving a loose connection?)
If I understand you correctly, you nog have the factory GPS on the android unit. Why does it take 30sec to get a loc? I will probably try it as well but perhaps putting a relais in the gps splitter that is switched on after pressing the start button to forward the GPS signal is also a possibility to keep using the original GPS. Any issues on GPS with the ugode rec on the Idrive?
Thanks for the feedback dude, really appreciated!!
For my info, if this is the real issue, none of you guys having the ugode GPS receiver should have the no signal issue at startup. possibly only after a short drive in the sun that the unit is overheated but not the way Bobbyjee and myself describe with a pause after unlocking the car.
I have never experienced the no signal issue and I'm using the ugode gps antenna.
Appreciate 0