F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Bmw f30 f31 halogen to Led Headlight lci upgrade
Studio RSR

10-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #1
alladin cars
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw f20

Bmw f30 f31 halogen to Led Headlight lci upgrade

So after doing my Bmw 1 series f20 from pre lci to lci led I thought I'll give it a shot on my f31 so I did.
Some people make it sound so hard to do and want to charge you an arm and leg local guy was asking 900 quid to have them done so after searching this forum getting my notepad out downloading different versions of ista I got them working well half way there

So just note
You will be working with only three wires

Pin 1-2-3 will remain untouched
Pin 8-9-10 will be the ones that where Gonna mess about with

Pin 8 is your lin1
Check what colour it is and then go back to your fem body on the passenger side footwell
Trace it from the first clip in the middle and relocate it to pin 53 which will be empty get a pin to push it down and take it out of old slot and slide it in 53

Same goes for your driver side check what colour pin 8 is and trace it back at the fem and put this in pin 54 also a empty slot

That's your lin done

Now pin 9-10
For me I just took my stereo out found the kcan h & l
Yellow red and yellow brown cable pin 9-13 right next to each other spliced it and ran two cables to pin 9 and 10 on both headlights

Job doneeeeeee
Now that really wasn't even hard

Ok a professional which I hope to become soon would trace colours of pin 9-10 on each plug get the wires out of the fem and connect them direct and save all the dirty wiring but hey a noob like me would have to give it a few try's before I get to that stage

That's it now for the coding
I'm learning it still
My softwares are always coming up with some stupid errors so still getting there check my results

If anyone needs any help just send me a message
And if you liked my work so far a thumbs up
Appreciate 3
      10-21-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
alladin cars
United Kingdom
Rep

Not bad
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alladin cars View Post
So after doing my Bmw 1 series f20 from pre lci to lci led I thought I'll give it a shot on my f31 so I did.
Some people make it sound so hard to do and want to charge you an arm and leg local guy was asking 900 quid to have them done so after searching this forum getting my notepad out downloading different versions of ista I got them working well half way there

So just note
You will be working with only three wires

Pin 1-2-3 will remain untouched
Pin 8-9-10 will be the ones that where Gonna mess about with

Pin 8 is your lin1
Check what colour it is and then go back to your fem body on the passenger side footwell
Trace it from the first clip in the middle and relocate it to pin 53 which will be empty get a pin to push it down and take it out of old slot and slide it in 53

Same goes for your driver side check what colour pin 8 is and trace it back at the fem and put this in pin 54 also a empty slot

That's your lin done

Now pin 9-10
For me I just took my stereo out found the kcan h & l
Yellow red and yellow brown cable pin 9-13 right next to each other spliced it and ran two cables to pin 9 and 10 on both headlights

Job doneeeeeee
Now that really wasn't even hard

Ok a professional which I hope to become soon would trace colours of pin 9-10 on each plug get the wires out of the fem and connect them direct and save all the dirty wiring but hey a noob like me would have to give it a few try's before I get to that stage

That's it now for the coding
I'm learning it still
My softwares are always coming up with some stupid errors so still getting there check my results

If anyone needs any help just send me a message
And if you liked my work so far a thumbs up
Good job mate!! I did the same retrofit. Was a pain in the ass coming from a beginner n having to study the diagrams n not having much other info to go from but did u install the level sensors too or did ur car already have them? How did the coding go?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 06:08 PM   #4
alladin cars
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey thanks for the message
So no I didn't install any level sensors if I'm not wrong they are for adaptive lights right ?
I'm still on the coding part don't know where to start from any ideas what I would need to do
I've got esys all functioning
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alladin cars View Post
Hey thanks for the message
So no I didn't install any level sensors if I'm not wrong they are for adaptive lights right ?
I'm still on the coding part don't know where to start from any ideas what I would need to do
I've got esys all functioning
No the vertical sensors control the up and down which the non adaptive LED's do too. The adaptive goes up down and left n rite. As far as coding it's pretty easy. Depending what year ur car is I had to change the build date for the fem and rem and I believe icm and add 5A2 to FA and vo code said modules. You'll still get vertical aim error since no level sensors but I deal wit that. U can code that error out but then they wount go up n down when u turn the lights on which I like. Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 06:41 AM   #6
nikolay40
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320I

Hello everyone,
First of all I want to thank you for the great write up.
I have just completed the same retrofit but I have the level sensors error. Can someone point me how to code out the error because I don't think I will install the level sensors.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0