F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Interior Rattles After Track Day
ARMA SPEED

10-03-2021, 09:24 AM   #1
indyjoeshmo
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sedan

Interior Rattles After Track Day

I did my first track day in the F30 the other weekend and now I am noticing tapping/rattling in the interior when going over small bumps. Kind of sounds like the door panel in the front. In the rear I cant tell if it is the fold down seat latches or the door panels. Anyone else experience this or know of a fix?
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #2
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjoeshmo View Post
I did my first track day in the F30 the other weekend and now I am noticing tapping/rattling in the interior when going over small bumps. Kind of sounds like the door panel in the front. In the rear I cant tell if it is the fold down seat latches or the door panels. Anyone else experience this or know of a fix?
Well if you hear in doors, take down panel and check everything. This problem can only be addressed by patience.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
SuperLomi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Tracking down UIN (unusual interior noise)/BSR(bump, squeak, rattle) is a bit of an art form, but there are some tricks to it. Here's a generalized process:

1) Find a road you can easily recreate the noise on. Ideally with a pull off where you can do some disassembly/investigation. Drive with windows up, A/C off, radio off. Drive a few times to make sure you know when the noise occurs, on what part of the road. Drive at consistent speeds. You may need to vary your speed, or provide some wheel input to recreate the noise. Just make sure you have a consistent method.

2) Isolate the noise to an area. Use sense of hearing, as well as touch (press places and see if you can turn the noise on/off). It may require you to have someone drive for you, if not in the immediate driver seat area.

3) If you can't turn it off with a touch (meaning it's not an issue at the surface level of the part), start digging into the location of the noise. Diss assemble in small stages and look for loose parts/parts that rattle when you tab on them, or cause vibration in the panel (hit it with the bottom of your fist, light to medium force).

4) Re-drive to confirm the noise still exists. Especially if you don't see anything obvious. Use the same techniques as before on the disassembled area.

5) if you have an idea where it's coming from, try to secure it. Noise is fixed in 2 ways: add clearance (make sure it can't touch anything else) or add interference (make sure it can't move).

6) Redrive and confirm it's gone, then re-assemble and drive again to confirm nothing was changed when you re-assembled.

Rinse and repeat for each noise. It's not always very easy.

You can also skip a lot of the driving and just dive into disassembly, if you have an idea of where it is, and if you think the cause will be obvious.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2021, 02:25 PM   #4
indyjoeshmo
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sedan

Thanks for the help. I think I tracked it down to the door locks. I overrode the auto locking and kept the doors unlocked for a few drives and now the rattles are gone. Doesnt really make sense, but I dont really want to take the door panels on and off repeatedly trying to find it. After doing 17 window regulator installs on e46s, I got tired of door panel removals lol.
Appreciate 1