F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Should I pull the trigger on a 335 GT? Good family hauler?
Studio RSR

01-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #45
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

According to reviews the GT seating position is 59mm higher than a standard 3 series so will be better but obviously not as good as a Rav4. It just depends if it's good enough for you.

The boot is very big but is limited by height when compared to a Rav4 due to the slopping roof. So I'd expect the Rav4 to be better there too.

If you're after maximum height and luggage space then the Rav4 is the way to go, you have to compromise in these areas with the GT.

You might find the rear legroom on the GT beneficial. But there might not be that much in it against the Rav with the way its engine is mounted.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 05:17 PM   #46
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
I had a 2.2d4d rav4 for 6 years and a 335d gt for 3 years.
Rav4 in retrospect was better if you can live with inferior engine and gearbox but otherwise better mostly.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 12:08 PM   #47
smithbh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Brownburry View Post
Hi guys,

After test driving twice, after reading all I can find on the internet, I'm seeking real-world advice from F34 drivers.

Here's my situation : 34 years old, one 14 months-old daughter, most probably #2 will be coming in 2015 or 2016.

My current ride a late 2011 E90 335 xdrive Candian special edition, MT.

Love the car (altough I had mmmaaaannnnyyyyy problems with it), but it is getting TIGHT in the backseat for my daughter, even in a forward-facing seat!

Actually it is getting hard to install her in it! But I guess I could manage that...

Sometimes though I must say that with the 19'' 313's, the ride can be harsh. Also, trunk space is limited, but not that much of a deal breaker, cause we'll probably get a minivan for the wife next year.

My lease is coming up in february, but of course at this point they can (and want) to pull me out of it to buy a new car!

One 335 GT EBII almost fully loaded is waiting in the showroom for me!

My options are to hop on a new lease at about 1000$ per month (more or less), or renew my E90 lease (they do that now in canada) for 12 or 24 months, at around 600-700$ per month.

Here are my thoughts and questions about my GT vs E90 issue :

-Higher payments, but brand new car I must say financially times are harder now than they were in the last years...

-Akward styling of the rear end of the GT, but I think it could grow on me!

-This would be my first AT car, I must say I'm nervous about that...I love to downshift, matchrev, and so on ... but sometimes I must be getting old but I think an AT would be more comfortable, and even more performant?

-The GT is sitting higher, I'm hesitant about that...on some days I wish I had a more comfortable ride, but on the other hand, I'm afraid I'll miss the handling of the E90. Would a dinan Shockware answer that issue ?

-I don't want an SUV, but is the GT a good car to have two young kids ? If someone could post a picture of the backseat with childseats installed, I would appreciate!

-How's the real-world MPG ?

Thanks for sharing your toughts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Brownburry View Post
Hi guys,

After test driving twice, after reading all I can find on the internet, I'm seeking real-world advice from F34 drivers.

Here's my situation : 34 years old, one 14 months-old daughter, most probably #2 will be coming in 2015 or 2016.

My current ride a late 2011 E90 335 xdrive Candian special edition, MT.

Love the car (altough I had mmmaaaannnnyyyyy problems with it), but it is getting TIGHT in the backseat for my daughter, even in a forward-facing seat!

Actually it is getting hard to install her in it! But I guess I could manage that...

Sometimes though I must say that with the 19'' 313's, the ride can be harsh. Also, trunk space is limited, but not that much of a deal breaker, cause we'll probably get a minivan for the wife next year.

My lease is coming up in february, but of course at this point they can (and want) to pull me out of it to buy a new car!

One 335 GT EBII almost fully loaded is waiting in the showroom for me!

My options are to hop on a new lease at about 1000$ per month (more or less), or renew my E90 lease (they do that now in canada) for 12 or 24 months, at around 600-700$ per month.

Here are my thoughts and questions about my GT vs E90 issue :

-Higher payments, but brand new car I must say financially times are harder now than they were in the last years...

-Akward styling of the rear end of the GT, but I think it could grow on me!

-This would be my first AT car, I must say I'm nervous about that...I love to downshift, matchrev, and so on ... but sometimes I must be getting old but I think an AT would be more comfortable, and even more performant?

-The GT is sitting higher, I'm hesitant about that...on some days I wish I had a more comfortable ride, but on the other hand, I'm afraid I'll miss the handling of the E90. Would a dinan Shockware answer that issue ?

-I don't want an SUV, but is the GT a good car to have two young kids ? If someone could post a picture of the backseat with childseats installed, I would appreciate!

-How's the real-world MPG ?

Thanks for sharing your toughts!
Yes, I absolutely love my 328xi GT, my only regret is not purchasing a 335 instead!

The rear seats are very easily accessible and the leg room is luxurious; this body style came about primarily to target the "executive car" popularity in Asian markets, where that extra rear leg room serves as a status symbol and this model delivers. The storage is also INCREDIBLE, with the seats folded down it has more cubic feet of cargo space than my previous 2013 F-150 FX4 SuperCrew. I also really love and make use of the hydraulic-lifted floor storage compartment in the trunk. It has a slightly longer wheelbase than the X3 but more cubic feet of storage as well; you really get just about all of the advantages of an SUV but a driving experience much closer to that of your standard 3-series.

The increased height was also an initial concern of mine, and for the first year or so I had my seats configured as low as they'll go. After replacing the tires, however, I tried out riding high and it still corners as well as I ever need it to. I also do like the extra visibility riding high.

As far as the AT goes, you are correct in that now it is more advanced and performant. The thing I love about it though is that it's still incredibly fun to drive with so many configurable modes and features. You can switch directly between drive and reverse in one movement; popping the shifter into sport mode automatically drops you down a gear when passing and in general should be able to find the right settings that are similar to your preferred MT driving style. The launch control is also badass for those times when you want to jump as quickly as possible off the line and it delivers with no slip.

Anyway that's my personal take, hope this helps!
Appreciate 0