F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinan N55 Intake / Stage 2 Software Launch.
GetBMWParts

06-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #155
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30MSport View Post
Intake finally arrived at my dealer, installing Monday morning. I have the MPPK, should I use the stock bottom intake piece or the one that came with PPK with the cutout? Performance and/or sound difference?
Could you kindly post a Video of CAI sound at hard Throttle/WOT.

- Hood open outside vehicle
- Hood Closed outside vehicle

- Hood open inside vehicle
- Hood Closed inside vehicle

This would be MUCH Appreciated!! Specially since there are quite a few Members who interested.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #156
F30MSport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz
Quote:
Intake finally arrived at my dealer, installing Monday morning. I have the MPPK, should I use the stock bottom intake piece or the one that came with PPK with the cutout? Performance and/or sound difference?

This would be MUCH Appreciated!! Specially since there are quite a few Members who interested.

Sure can, I've seen quite a few requests with no reply from Dinan.
      06-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #157
F30MSport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06
Quote:
I don't remember where I saw it, but I believe that Dinan recommends using the stock lower half of the air box. This is to create as much of a vacuum as possible since the kit even comes with some rubber to try to seal the seams of the lower and upper half.
Thank you, saved me a lot of time I really didn't want to read 7 pages of posts
      06-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #158
snj49er
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C

Quote:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...4#post17790414

Good luck with the install!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #159
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj49er
Quote:

I still don't feel 100% confident about the MPPK air box hole having no effect on the sealed cold air ram aspect of this intake. Especially because of the fact Dinan took the effort to have such a precise rubber seal to enclose the box.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #160
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd
Quote:
Quote:

I still don't feel 100% confident about the MPPK air box hole having no effect on the sealed cold air ram aspect of this intake. Especially because of the fact Dinan took the effort to have such a precise rubber seal to enclose the box.
The upper and lower airbox needs to have a good seal because that's how the filter is held in place. This has no relevance to the MPPK lower airbox.
The Dinan rep seemed to elude that it was possible that the MPPK lower airbox resulted in more turbulence, but he didn't seem to be very definitive about it.
      06-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #161
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The upper and lower airbox needs to have a good seal because that's how the filter is held in place. This has no relevance to the MPPK lower airbox.
The Dinan rep seemed to elude that it was possible that the MPPK lower airbox resulted in more turbulence, but he didn't seem to be very definitive about it.
Maybe Dinan could chime in as this seems to have some conflicting opinions?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #162
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i XD Alpine white

if someone has a video or knows of a video of the dinan intake plz post a link
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #163
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshVass View Post
if someone has a video or knows of a video of the dinan intake plz post a link
If nobody posts a video, I'll post mine in a week or 2 after I receive and install it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #164
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i XD Alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06 View Post
If nobody posts a video, I'll post mine in a week or 2 after I receive and install it.
Nice! thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #165
Exterminador
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i convertible

Quote:
Yes please post a video as soon as you can. I'm interested to see the results.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #166
F30MSport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed, I'm going to use my stock intake bottom half when installing the intake. I'd rather consistent performance than whooshing sounds
      06-16-2015, 06:10 AM   #167
F30MSport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post

I'll post better videos later this week, took these two really quick after the install. My attempt on the iPhone to get a sound clip while driving didn't turn out well. The wind and road noise drowned out the sound on of the intake.

Initial impression is that the acceleration/pull feels good, smoother than before but nothing major. The real test will be when I take it back to the local track. If I can drop a tenth in the 1/4 mile I'll be happy.

The intake is loud, a lot of whooshing. Take into consideration that the dealer left the mppk bottom half with the cutout on after I requested the OEM be installed . It's a lot louder than I had anticipated.

I'll try and get some videos at WOT inside and outside the car later this week.

06-16-2015, 07:14 AM   #168
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
I'll post better videos later this week, took these two really quick after the install. My attempt on the iPhone to get a sound clip while driving didn't turn out well. The wind and road noise drowned out the sound on of the intake.

Initial impression is that the acceleration/pull feels good, smoother than before but nothing major. The real test will be when I take it back to the local track. If I can drop a tenth in the 1/4 mile I'll be happy.

The intake is loud, a lot of whooshing. Take into consideration that the dealer left the mppk bottom half with the cutout on after I requested the OEM be installed . It's a lot louder than I had anticipated.

You're the Man!! Thank you Very Much!

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #169
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30MSport
Quote:

Did you do stage 2 Dinan tune also or no?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #170
F30MSport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30MSport
Quote:

Did you do stage 2 Dinan tune also or no?
Just MPPK now, stage 2 is next
      06-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #171
cjack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435X, EBII, 6MT, PPK + 2019 X5

Sounds great.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #172
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
Sounds great.
Agreed. Now I can't wait to get mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #173
435iFanatiker
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A rental

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Got my 435i back from the Stage 2/CAI/FFE install and have only had a little time to drive it due to my work schedule, but I noticed a difference immediately when I put it in gear. I had the Stage 1 installed literally the day before the Stage 2 was released, so compared to my experience the last 5-6 weeks, I can say the Stage 2 is definitely more aggressive. It wants to go without even pressing the throttle now. Comfort pulls very hard, and Sport pulls like a mutha.

I had window film put in the day after the Dinan install, so I'm still running with windows up. I haven't noticed any wooshing from the CAI, but have observed a little whine now and then. The Free Flow Exhaust sounds fantastic. Very sporty burbles without being obnoxious. The exhaust tips looked mighty big when I first picked the car up, but have since grown on me.

Overall, very happy with everything.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #174
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep

Very nice. Debadge looks good as well! You gotta get the Dinan springs (or some coilovers if you don't have dhp) to drop the ride a bit. You'll be even more amazed then Just got an email from my dealership that the intake came in today so I'll pick it up on Saturday morning and install it right when I get back. Can't wait now with all the positive reviews I've seen!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 09:36 PM   #175
435iFanatiker
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A rental

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Very nice. Debadge looks good as well! You gotta get the Dinan springs (or some coilovers if you don't have dhp) to drop the ride a bit. You'll be even more amazed then Just got an email from my dealership that the intake came in today so I'll pick it up on Saturday morning and install it right when I get back. Can't wait now with all the positive reviews I've seen!
Thanks. Debadged was the way to go in Germany. Still trying to decide on dropping it, am hesitant to give up any ride quality, but the body roll is definitely noticeable when cornering.

Got to drive a little after work today. What I described earlier as a whine is better described as a whistle. Also noticed a bit of drone in Eco mode, which is now much less smooth, and the car doesn't coast like it did before in Eco.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #176
F30MSport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435iFanatiker
Got my 435i back from the Stage 2/CAI/FFE install and have only had a little time to drive it due to my work schedule, but I noticed a difference immediately when I put it in gear. I had the Stage 1 installed literally the day before the Stage 2 was released, so compared to my experience the last 5-6 weeks, I can say the Stage 2 is definitely more aggressive. It wants to go without even pressing the throttle now. Comfort pulls very hard, and Sport pulls like a mutha.

I had window film put in the day after the Dinan install, so I'm still running with windows up. I haven't noticed any wooshing from the CAI, but have observed a little whine now and then. The Free Flow Exhaust sounds fantastic. Very sporty burbles without being obnoxious. The exhaust tips looked mighty big when I first picked the car up, but have since grown on me.

Overall, very happy with everything.
Any plans to dyno?