F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M Sport Performance Suspension - Labor hours
GetBMWParts

09-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #573
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
Okay, so I had considerable time with the car this weekend. We drove about 100 miles over a combination of expressway, smooth and bumpy roads. Definitely, not too harsh. My wife never said a thing about it other than she's happy that it doesn't roll anymore.

She also asked to drive it and loved it (only a 5 mile drive). She said it felt smoother than her MINI S with JCW Strut Braces. I thought it was a little stiffer than the MINI S but I have not driven them back-to-back yet.

Signs are pointing to you ordering it...NOW!

Edit: I drove to LA this morning - 45 miles on highway. Zero complaints and the road gets pretty rough on the 110.
Great to Hear, bittersweet though...car hit limp mode again (just got it back last week after its second limp fix) so I'm not throwing any more money at it, so annoyed.
      10-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #574
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335
Quote:
Okay, so I had considerable time with the car this weekend. We drove about 100 miles over a combination of expressway, smooth and bumpy roads. Definitely, not too harsh. My wife never said a thing about it other than she's happy that it doesn't roll anymore.

She also asked to drive it and loved it (only a 5 mile drive). She said it felt smoother than her MINI S with JCW Strut Braces. I thought it was a little stiffer than the MINI S but I have not driven them back-to-back yet.

Signs are pointing to you ordering it...NOW!

Edit: I drove to LA this morning - 45 miles on highway. Zero complaints and the road gets pretty rough on the 110.
Great to Hear, bittersweet though...car hit limp mode again (just got it back last week after its second limp fix) so I'm not throwing any more money at it, so annoyed.
Oh man. I am sorry to hear. I have had 4 to 4 LMs since I purchased my car. I hope bmw discovers a solution to this soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #575
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer
My car is back from the dealer after the install

The body roll is just gone.

Traffic was pretty much stop and go on the way home, so couldn't gather more impressions. I plan to take the car out later tonight and see how it is on turns etc.

Looks-wise: Even with 17"s, the car looks proportionate now. It certainly doesn't have a "lowered" look, but there is a big difference even at first glance. Pics don't do justice to the difference, but I will share a few I clicked when I got the car and a few quick pics clicked now.

I know the pics don't show the difference clearly because the angles are different. But one simple test from my side is, I used to be able to stick my fist in the gap before. Now the gap is about half-fist size.

I am happy

Thanks everyone on this thread for the guidance.

"Before" pics:
Attachment 920351
Attachment 920350

"After" pics:
Attachment 920352
Attachment 920353
Attachment 920354
Congrats!! Car looks great. You will be pleased with the purchase. Now, go find a tight circular on- ramp and take it at 50mph!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #576
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Thanks OC40! I did take a drive last night with the excuse of filling gas , tried some of my regular on-ramps and curvy backroads. Here's what I noticed:

- the car stays absolutely FLAT, inspires confidence to take corners faster

- lane changes are much easier and more elegant because of no roll

- interestingly, the car seems to oversteer/kick the tail out a lot LESS after the upgrade- not sure if it's my imagination. Could some of that oversteer be induced by the body leaning too much earlier? (more weight being transferred to the outer rear wheel)? I mean I can still induce it with strong acceleration on a turn but previously it used to happen a lot more easily.

- ride: I can feel the road irregularities a lot more but it is not even close to jarring. I like it.

- one thing I disagree with others about, at least in my case with 17" and stock RFTs, is steering feel: I don't necessarily see any improvement in steering feel. The steering feel wasn't bad to begin with, I already liked it. But in my case at least, the suspension upgrade didn't particularly improve it (the benchmark is my earlier E90 and I'm comparing on a certain set of roads and curves that I'm familiar with)

Overall I got what I was hoping for, which is primarily reducing the body roll! Happy!
      10-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #577
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Oh man. I am sorry to hear. I have had 4 to 4 LMs since I purchased my car. I hope bmw discovers a solution to this soon.
me too... i'm okay, bummed, but trying to handle it the best I can... we'll see what BMW says this time. I'm one fan, and 2 relays and three trips into a non solution.
      10-11-2013, 02:29 AM   #578
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Hey how's everyone doing, haven't seen anything in this thread recently.

Is it my imagination, or has the car softened up a little bit as the m perf suspension settled down over a couple of weeks? It's still nice but not rock-hard-stiff as it was on the day of installation. Anyone else feel this?

Or, could it have anything to do with the fact that my car's software was "reprogrammed" for a drivetrain malfunction? (I tend to not think so, since it's just mperf suspension on a base model and I don't have adaptive or anything).
      10-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #579
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:

Is it my imagination, or has the car softened up a little bit as the m perf suspension settled down over a couple of weeks? It's still nice but not rock-hard-stiff as it was on the day of installation. Anyone else feel this?

Or, could it have anything to do with the fact that my car's software was "reprogrammed" for a drivetrain malfunction? (I tend to not think so, since it's just mperf suspension on a base model and I don't have adaptive or anything).
I found the ride became more bearable after the first week. Maybe just got used to it, you never know
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #580
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

I'm still loving mine! I think it's a combination of getting accustomed to it and it softening as it settled (yes, I just wrote "it" three times in one sentence...).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #581
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Aah ok so it's normal . I had to get the thought out of my head, that the reprogramming could've done something.. Lol!

Yes I still love it too. At night I think of random excuses to go on drives and throw the car around my city.
      10-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #582
BRM6
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 328/335/M235i/M4 - Current M6

Guys, I am debating between this and the Bilstein PSS10 B16 "COMFORT" - I will be upgrading from a standard suspension car (S225 code), how much lower will it be? I am guessing 20mm? Those getting this installed, please post pics! I won't be able to order the sway bars as shipping will kill me. Do you all think it will be worth upgrading without the sway bars? :O
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #583
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRN55 View Post
Guys, I am debating between this and the Bilstein PSS10 B16 "COMFORT" - I will be upgrading from a standard suspension car (S225 code), how much lower will it be? I am guessing 20mm? Those getting this installed, please post pics! I won't be able to order the sway bars as shipping will kill me. Do you all think it will be worth upgrading without the sway bars? :O
Go with the Bilsteins!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #584
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post

Eventually, it "settles" in...took me a month.

Still rock solid and handles like on rails....did a track day last weekend, the Suspension and Brakes were giving me a huge advantage over most 4 door sedans on the grid.

Only limiting factor, I've found, are my skills (obviously), traction (duh), and the bloody heat (limp mode)...

The MPS has been the best investment in the car for sure...but not for your less than enthusiast.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #585
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRN55 View Post
If you're coming from a base, the sway bars will change the handling substantially....

If you care for a warranty, get the M Performance. Otherwise, go for what fits your budget!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #586
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post

Still rock solid and handles like on rails....did a track day last weekend, the Suspension and Brakes were giving me a huge advantage over most 4 door sedans on the grid.

Only limiting factor, I've found, are my skills (obviously), traction (duh), and the bloody heat (limp mode)...

The MPS has been the best investment in the car for sure...but not for your less than enthusiast.
did you actually experience limp mode? Thought that was an exclusive M-sport-only disease.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #587
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull
Quote:

did you actually experience limp mode? Thought that was an exclusive M-sport-only disease.
Yes, twice.

But it wasn't for the same reason as the M sport guys.

After 58 cumulative minutes of going full throttle, trail braking, and hurrying around Lime Rock, my oil temps were simply too hot and the car decided to protect itself.

Cooled off for an hour, ran a final session for 19 minutes and again, last lap/last minute, limped again.

Cooled off for 10 minutes, filled up on 100 Octane, and drove home in Eco Pro

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #588
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, twice.

After 58 cumulative minutes of going full throttle, trail braking, and hurrying around Lime Rock, my oil temps were simply too hot and the car decided to protect itself.

Cooled off for an hour, ran a final session for 19 minutes and again, last lap/last minute, limped again.

When are you ordering the new brake pads???!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #589
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, twice.

When are you ordering the new brake pads???!
BMW is replacing them under my factory maintenance plan in 2700 miles,

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #590
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, twice.

time for a new intercooler ?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #591
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

I've driven around 1000 miles after the upgrade and the car feels great . I've started taking freeway ramps like a rowdy (yeah need to control myself).
It does slightly pull to the right, I am not able to judge whether that's the road incline or alignment. But it didn't pull before. Maybe I should get the alignment checked anyway? Problem is, the SA is not going to recheck the alignment for free after 1000 miles I guess .

Another thing, sounds silly, can you guys confirm it's just my imagination or are you feeling it too? After the upgrade, the car feels stiffer in sport mode than comfort mode. I don't mean the steering weight. I mean the amount of roll/pitch for example when you move the car slowly and then apply brakes quickly, how many times it "bounces" when it stops. I can't think of any reason why it would be stiffer in sport mode on a non-adaptive car. But there seems to be a difference. I'm not complaining, because sport mode makes more of a difference now. Just curious.

Imagination? Or maybe the car is just moving at a slightly different speed due to rpm difference, causing it to pitch/dive differently?
      10-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #592
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
I've driven around 1000 miles after the upgrade and the car feels great . I've started taking freeway ramps like a rowdy (yeah need to control myself).
It does slightly pull to the right, I am not able to judge whether that's the road incline or alignment. But it didn't pull before. Maybe I should get the alignment checked anyway? Problem is, the SA is not going to recheck the alignment for free after 1000 miles I guess .

Another thing, sounds silly, can you guys confirm it's just my imagination or are you feeling it too? After the upgrade, the car feels stiffer in sport mode than comfort mode. I don't mean the steering weight. I mean the amount of roll/pitch for example when you move the car slowly and then apply brakes quickly, how many times it "bounces" when it stops. I can't think of any reason why it would be stiffer in sport mode on a non-adaptive car. But there seems to be a difference. I'm not complaining, because sport mode makes more of a difference now. Just curious.

Imagination? Or maybe the car is just moving at a slightly different speed due to rpm difference, causing it to pitch/dive differently?
Def get your front camber checked, mine was a little off after the many installations, and they did it for free...

If you're non-adaptive, it's probably in your head...remember, the shock/spring combo has altered a lot of driving dynamics, so potentially different elements your driving experience is picking up...

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #593
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
Def get your front camber checked, mine was a little off after the many installations, and they did it for free...

If you're non-adaptive, it's probably in your head...remember, the shock/spring combo has altered a lot of driving dynamics, so potentially different elements your driving experience is picking up...
Hey Shiva,

Question for you. Did the m performance suspension kit come with anything other than the springs and shocks?? I mean anything like other little suspension pieces that would need to be installed? I have a sport line so already have the sways stock.

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #594
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
Hey Shiva,

Question for you. Did the m performance suspension kit come with anything other than the springs and shocks?? I mean anything like other little suspension pieces that would need to be installed? I have a sport line so already have the sways stock.

Thanks...
Just the shocks/springs/and an appropriate fittings. Unsure if the bump stops were revised...and if you have the ARBs, then that saves you some heartache/installation costs.

Appreciate 0