F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > increase battery drain while stopped
proTUNING Freaks

09-25-2022, 02:22 PM   #1
adika
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f30

increase battery drain while stopped

hello i read in few places about this but couldn't figure out a resolution yet
after i coded daytime taillight i think i had this message pop up ever since, i did revert settings without success message still there i do not have any extra things plugged in or anything that would drain battery did a scan but did not see anything particularly
realized that start engine button stay lit overnight tho
can someone suggest what should i look for to remedy this
thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 02:49 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by adika View Post
hello i read in few places about this but couldn't figure out a resolution yet
after i coded daytime taillight i think i had this message pop up ever since, i did revert settings without success message still there i do not have any extra things plugged in or anything that would drain battery did a scan but did not see anything particularly
realized that start engine button stay lit overnight tho
can someone suggest what should i look for to remedy this
thanks
Think you have found the problem, all systems are not going into sleep mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 02:58 PM   #3
adika
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Think you have found the problem, all systems are not going into sleep mode.
how can i pin point what is not going to sleep mode
thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 03:22 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
how can i pin point what is not going to sleep mode
thanks
I'm not in any way skilled on electronics fault finding.

My understanding, if the car enters sleep mode (1 - 3 minutes);

START STOP button illumination goes out.
Illumination of child lock switch (green LED) on driver's door switch cluster goes out.

It appears your vehicle may not be entering sleep mode. I wonder if something in your coding is now preventing it going into sleep mode. If not obvious in what you did, normal fault finding goes something like the following.

Quote:
Procedure for troubleshooting
In the event of a closed-circuit current fault, use the following procedure:

To isolate the originator, take readings with the current clamp on the supply leads to the front and rear power distribution boxes and, if necessary, on the supply lead from the safety battery terminal. In that way it is possible to determine the area in which the originator is located.

The initiator can be determined by unplugging fuses one after the other at the corresponding power distribution box. As Terminal 30g is switched off 30 min or 60 min after Terminal R off, troubleshooting must focus on the components supplied by Terminal 30 and Terminal 30g-f.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 03:45 PM   #5
adika
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm not in any way skilled on electronics fault finding.

My understanding, if the car enters sleep mode (1 - 3 minutes);

START STOP button illumination goes out.
Illumination of child lock switch (green LED) on driver's door switch cluster goes out.

It appears your vehicle may not be entering sleep mode. I wonder if something in your coding is now preventing it going into sleep mode. If not obvious in what you did, normal fault finding goes something like the following.
i would really try something like reloading /wiping all coding and get it back to factory if possible ?
also i realized that saved presets stations on satellite radio gets wiped every time i start the car...
thanks

Last edited by adika; 09-25-2022 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 06:33 PM   #6
adika
Enlisted Member
Rep

did a scan around noon today before i started reversing some of the coding but canot make out really what this means, anyone have a better understanding theese codes and pinpoint what is causing my battery drain while stoped?
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: pdf carly.pdf (60.1 KB, 89 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 06:55 PM   #7
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

If I was to guess, you drained the battery down too far when coding the car. Charge up the battery (with an actual charger), and the problem will probably go away.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 06:57 PM   #8
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Mine had a similar issue when it was really cold outside, and I didn't drive it for a while. I'd get the "idrive is running with the car off" or something like that. I mentioned on my last service, and they did a software update for it. The "quick fix" was to recharge the battery.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 03:53 PM   #9
adika
Enlisted Member
Rep

anyone?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 04:00 PM   #10
adika
Enlisted Member
Rep

Anyone have an better understanding what's going from this about draining my battery?
Also it saying FLEL is not responding but all lights work , initially had a fender bender and lights are a bit cracked (lens) but working
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 01:55 AM   #11
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I would put the battery on a charger. That worked for mine with the same issue.
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      10-01-2022, 07:35 PM   #12
JoHnMuir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

There are a couple of good clues as to what could be wrong with S 0384 and 804256.
Appreciate 1
adika3.00
      10-01-2022, 09:38 PM   #13
adika
Enlisted Member
Rep

i am putting it on a charger tonight but still feel something is up as the start stop button was on all the time apparently also those errors are fishy
anybody bumped into those errors?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 10:33 PM   #14
JoHnMuir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

The start button is lit because whatever is draining the battery is preventing the car from sleeping, as you can see with the informational codes on ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 11:31 PM   #15
adika
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoHnMuir View Post
There are a couple of good clues as to what could be wrong with S 0384 and 804256.
The one error from the mirror definitely came after as my battery drained before i retrofit power folding mirrors but the one from light module might be there before as I did not realized , the thing is that all lights work as they should…
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 09:45 AM   #16
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Still baffled why it took you a week to put a charger on it, when I mentioned above, that is a known issue. The whole car runs on electronics, they need power. If it isn't there, weird stuff happens, codes get tossed, the dash lights up like a Christmas tree.

Natively, the car won't charge the battery past ~75% under normal conditions as part of their efficiency dynamics. This allows capacity for they regenerative charging when getting off the throttle, etc.

Pick the low hanging fruit on this one, if a charged battery isn't the issue, strike it from the list and move on to the next.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 11:10 AM   #17
adika
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Still baffled why it took you a week to put a charger on it, when I mentioned above, that is a known issue. The whole car runs on electronics, they need power. If it isn't there, weird stuff happens, codes get tossed, the dash lights up like a Christmas tree.

Natively, the car won't charge the battery past ~75% under normal conditions as part of their efficiency dynamics. This allows capacity for they regenerative charging when getting off the throttle, etc.

Pick the low hanging fruit on this one, if a charged battery isn't the issue, strike it from the list and move on to the next.
well things are not good had the car on charger overnight display show 14.8 after started car message still there, after couple hours started car and message again on and battery at 12.1
really need to figure out what is causing this
anybody know how to diagnose ?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 11:43 AM   #18
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

If you look at your codes you grabbed, there is a list of things to check. If the right mirror is listed as faulty, unplug it see if the drain goes away. Same deal with the headlight if that is a suspected device.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 11:58 AM   #19
adika
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
If you look at your codes you grabbed, there is a list of things to check. If the right mirror is listed as faulty, unplug it see if the drain goes away. Same deal with the headlight if that is a suspected device.
that is not the case as its not even installed yet only driver side works for now and had the drain message way before this retrofit
the one code that im not sure is the headlight and if i remember correctly after i enabled rear taillights on i had the draining message tried to reverse the daylights taillights without succes
now FLEL is not responding apparently but my lights work normal can that be the case?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 04:43 PM   #20
adika
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
that is not the case as its not even installed yet only driver side works for now and had the drain message way before this retrofit
the one code that im not sure is the headlight and if i remember correctly after i enabled rear taillights on i had the draining message tried to reverse the daylights taillights without succes
now FLEL is not responding apparently but my lights work normal can that be the case?
thanks
Changed headlight (both) so now start stop button is off

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to code the European headlights to disable the side marker

Apparently FLEL right side had some short inside the headlight so now all is good (for now )if anything changes I'll post
Thanks all
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50