F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > UPDATE: Soaked Carpet
ARMA SPEED

11-16-2021, 12:14 AM   #23
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

The drain that's located behind the door panel is the culprit. It was a common issue on e90s as well.

I have a post with a video where I commented it somewhere …

Water leak-hopefully fixed https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1643300
MY13: TTE400 Stage 2 turbo, Spec Single Mass flywheel + Stage 3+ Clutch, FTP V2 Turbo Inlet, Evolution Racewerks Charge pipe + Boost pipe + Intercooler, Turbosmart Recirculating Diverter Valve, aFE grill scoop + aFE Magnum Force Cold Air Intake, B58 coil retrofit, eBay Downpipe, Active Autowerke muffler, DW400 LPFP, B58TU HPFP, M5 s63TU injectors, Bimmermilvs, e80 tune by Navardi Tuned. 380 whp/360 wheel torque stock block
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 06:59 AM   #24
Fliplegend
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435ix F33

This is a common issue with BMW's period. It's called a vapor barrier and over time, the seal just disintegrates which allows water in.
AndrewC198910910.50
      11-16-2021, 09:32 AM   #25
hiperco
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Thanks for the replies, but again I need to state that IT IS NOT COMING IN THROUGH THE DOOR. When I pour water into the driver side drain (corner of windshield), the water somehow gets through the firewall and onto the driver side floor.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 10:17 AM   #26
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post
Bumping this old thread in hopes that the OP got this issue resolved, and can report back what it was. I have the same issue (2016 340xi), with A LOT of water making its way into the back passenger area on the driver's side. I have narrowed it down to water coming through the firewall when the driver side drain is overwhelmed with water. Initially the drain was clogged, but it has been cleaned and now the water only comes in if I pour a lot of water into the drain such that the water flows rearward towards the firewall.

I took off the accelerator pedal and it there is a lot of dampness there. Hard to tell if its a clue, or just that its a low spot. Could be coming in where the throttle wire goes through the firewall?

Its most definitely not coming in through the doors or sunroof etc, as I have done a very focused pour of water from a bottle into the drain.

Any insights welcome, this is driving me nuts.
I could have sworn my leak was coming from the dash, roof, or windshield but it ended up being the vapor barrier in the door. The water would pool under the pedals and dry up quickly near the door making it seem like the leak wasn't coming from that area so it threw me off. I'd bring the car to the dealer and see what they say. My indie couldn't find the issue but BMW was able to resolve it immediately.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2021, 09:49 AM   #27
tangobretta
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, but again I need to state that IT IS NOT COMING IN THROUGH THE DOOR. When I pour water into the driver side drain (corner of windshield), the water somehow gets through the firewall and onto the driver side floor.
Did you ever bottom this out, I'm just experiencing extremely similar symptoms on my F30. Cant 100% determain if its the 'driver drain' or the water exiting down the outerwall of the car (between the front wing and door) I can actually see/feel the water around the rubber flap which leads to the firewall above the foot pedals.

Much appreciated on any reply.

Thanks TB
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 12:10 PM   #28
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangobretta View Post
Quote:
Did you ever bottom this out, I'm just experiencing extremely similar symptoms on my F30. Cant 100% determain if its the 'driver drain' or the water exiting down the outerwall of the car (between the front wing and door) I can actually see/feel the water around the rubber flap which leads to the firewall above the foot pedals.

Much appreciated on any reply.

Thanks TB
I can't state exactly what you have wrong, but for me in my old e46, I had all 4 door vapor barrier go and in each case I had water in the foot well around that door. The car was 17 years old when it was totaled but those issue with the vapor barrier were my issues with water leaks. I think the back passenger door had the issue 3-4 times. The multiples were covered by the 2 year warranty by my dealership. I guess I also had the hose that drains the sunroof clog once too. Hope that helps. Good luck getting to the bottom of your issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 10:00 AM   #29
avanleur
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

I experienced a very wet passenger side floor after my regular car wash installed a brand new, very high-powered car washing system.
I just want to know from WHERE the water entered!!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 06:18 PM   #30
Marcoadj13
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f30 335i

Having a similar issue but the water would be under my rear seats instead of the carpets. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 11:53 AM   #31
hiperco
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Bumping this old thread in hopes that the OP got this issue resolved, and can report back what it was. I have the same issue (2016 340xi), with A LOT of water making its way into the back passenger area on the driver's side. I have narrowed it down to water coming through the firewall when the driver side drain is overwhelmed with water. Initially the drain was clogged, but it has been cleaned and now the water only comes in if I pour a lot of water into the drain such that the water flows rearward towards the firewall.

I took off the accelerator pedal and it there is a lot of dampness there. Hard to tell if its a clue, or just that its a low spot. Could be coming in where the throttle wire goes through the firewall?

Its most definitely not coming in through the doors or sunroof etc, as I have done a very focused pour of water from a bottle into the drain.

Any insights welcome, this is driving me nuts.
It seems that the issue in my case was a badly worn/cracked windshield seal. After replacing it, there has been no more leaking.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 08:15 AM   #32
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
It seems that the issue in my case was a badly worn/cracked windshield seal. After replacing it, there has been no more leaking.
There are no windshield "seals" on these cars, just cowl and decorative trim. The windshield is sealed to the frame with an adhesive when it is installed. That is what makes it "water tight".
      03-19-2024, 03:38 PM   #33
BrennanF30
BMWLad
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

Garage List
BMW F30 M Sport  [0.00]
Just like to open this topic again as I too am having the same issue with my 2013 F30.

Soaking wet drivers side rear footwell, huge puddle of water in the footwell, I have a UK car so this is the right hand side of the car.

It’s been raining for the past 3 days continuously so I have been sponging out the water from the footwell for the past 3 days. It’s been raining for the past hour, I’ve just went out and checked and there is a puddle of water yet again.

I’m getting really frustrated with this now. Does anyone know what the first course of action would be? Someone mentioned seals or water vapour inside the rear door. Do I really need to take the door card off to try and solve this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6times7 View Post
I don't know - BrennanF30 is Irish isn't he? I reckon he's got some super hi def, Ultra HD4K F30 photo taking potato
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 03:58 PM   #34
im_an_alien
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennanF30 View Post
Just like to open this topic again as I too am having the same issue with my 2013 F30.

Soaking wet drivers side rear footwell, huge puddle of water in the footwell, I have a UK car so this is the right hand side of the car.

It’s been raining for the past 3 days continuously so I have been sponging out the water from the footwell for the past 3 days. It’s been raining for the past hour, I’ve just went out and checked and there is a puddle of water yet again.

I’m getting really frustrated with this now. Does anyone know what the first course of action would be? Someone mentioned seals or water vapour inside the rear door. Do I really need to take the door card off to try and solve this issue?
At a minimum you'll have to remove the door card and inspect the vapor barrier, there is a very high likelihood it will be the problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 08:09 AM   #35
BrennanF30
BMWLad
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

Garage List
BMW F30 M Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
At a minimum you'll have to remove the door card and inspect the vapor barrier, there is a very high likelihood it will be the problem.
As a bit of an amateur on these things, is the rear door card easy to remove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6times7 View Post
I don't know - BrennanF30 is Irish isn't he? I reckon he's got some super hi def, Ultra HD4K F30 photo taking potato
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 09:44 AM   #36
im_an_alien
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennanF30 View Post
As a bit of an amateur on these things, is the rear door card easy to remove?
Very simple. Lots of vids on YT. If it takes you longer than 5 minutes something is wrong with you...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 12:44 PM   #37
DeanMassye
Rep
Drives: bmw

Passenger side carpet would get soaked when raining overnight. Ended up being a small crack on bottom right side of the windshield. My guess would be checking there..

Nox Vidmate VLC

Last edited by DeanMassye; 03-25-2024 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0