F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > “Young” UK drivers - Insurance companies
ARMA SPEED

10-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #23
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Created a thread a while back (June last year) after watching a TV program about car insurance. The big takeaway from it was that of the 43 data points they collect off you, pretty much everything including your name can count against you! Here are a few examples of things you might not think are relevant but that can affect your premium:
  • Having children added £146 to the premium vs. having no children.
  • Using a gmail address vs. using a hotmail address added £391 to the premium!
  • If you're born outside the UK you're more likely to pay more.
  • If you have a foreign sounding name such as Ahmed Khan you could pay £462 more than if your name was David Smith. Also, someone with the name David Ledwell paid £1,169 more than someone called David Montgomery.
  • If you're married you could pay up to £200 less than a single person.
  • When answering the 'How did you hear about us' question, choosing 'From a friend' got you a £135 lower premium than if you chose 'TV Advert'.

The insurance industry guy on the program said it's all heavily data driven. So insurance companies look at their claims data and if they find people with gmail addresses make more claims than people with hotmail addresses for example, then they load the premium.
Funny you say that I had a weird one with our house insurance the other week. We are with Direct Line and the renewal came through at around £450 (cant remember but more than last year).
So I did the usual and went online to DL's website and got an online quote and was astonished to get a quote of well over a grand!!!!

I edited the quote and all I did was change my name for the wife's (nothing else was changed) and the quote went down to around £300 WTF!!!!!!

So we took out the house insurance in the wifes name. We asked an operator at DL why my quote was so high just because my name was on the quote ... they had no idea.

Only thing I can think of is that we claimed off them to fix a ceiling about 3 years ago and wondered it that went against me (well, my name).

So if your house insurance quote is high, put it in your wife's name.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 06:18 AM   #24
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Another one - I'm registered to vote at a different address to where I live (it's a perm address whereas the place I'm at now I'm renting) I didn't realise, because insurers can't find you on the electoral role at your given address they hike the price significantly. I only found out as BMW refused to quote me as I failed their ID check due to the above.
Then switched the address to my electoral role one (only half mile away same area) and the quotes came down £2-300! There isn't much difference due to area having done it before, so pretty much all of that is simply due to not being on the electoral role. Did the same on comparison sites and hey presto suddenly all my quotes are much more decent... wish I'd known this sooner
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 08:32 AM   #25
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

So will likely be updating this through my wonderful yearly run around of pain.

So far LV aren't happy with a 26 year old in a 435i for the 3rd year of insurance cover. Too young... another that might've changed things over the course of a year, AXA did the same last year (despite being insured with them at 24 years of age).

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #26
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

What have BMW insurance said?
How about Aviva and completing the Drive App? Where you give a phone to your grandmother for a week or so.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 12:49 PM   #27
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
What have BMW insurance said?
How about Aviva and completing the Drive App? Where you give a phone to your grandmother for a week or so.
Was running through the list I put together thanks to everyone who posted, but looks like age requirements change on some from year to year. Aviva quoted, but not close to being competitive (more than my current years premium).

BMW did come out the cheapest last year, and on checking seem to be 2nd best this year, but I am scoping for insurance that allow for 'modifications' in case I go for a remap within the year, or any other 'mods' as BMW are not mod friendly other than getting BMW products that must be installed at a BMW dealer (yes.. even grilles as they quoted).
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 01:46 PM   #28
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Back in my young modification days there were 2-3 that came to mind, in no particular order:

1. Adrian Flux
2. Sky Insurance
3. Broker Direct (broker that actually shaved £300 off the Aviva quote).

Other random ones worth a try but not sure if they are open to modifications:
1. NFU Mutual
2. CSMA
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 01:54 PM   #29
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

I'll also add that occupation makes a difference. The same occupation might be known by a different name.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #30
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Increasing excess can also help. If you're willing to pay more than 50 % of the mandatory excess equivalent in voluntary excess, it might bring you a hundred or so down. The risk attached is having that money ready if needed. So one needs to save.

The only time I haven't seen it work is with BMW. When I said £600 they said it increased the premium by £170. When I said £300 it dropped by over £100.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #31
hilift
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d f31 msport

Garage List
blimey here's me moaning about my insurance going up this year by £15 .to a whopping £215 .fully comp with protected NCB .for the f31 330 d
and £110 for the bike ,also a BMW .s1000r .

but then age has its benefits not just free prescriptions .haha !!

really I sympathise , I still have to help my daughter out with her extortionate car premiums .she's 23 and mostly drives a company car !!
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50
      09-11-2020, 09:25 AM   #32
f30paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330e

I couldn't understand my hike in insurance when changing cars...

Audi A3 S Line Cabrio - £250
BMW 330e - £315 (cheapest I could find)

I'd have thought without the liability of a cloth roof (though with a more powerful engine) the difference wouldn't have been as much.

When it comes to helping sons and daughter out with driving etc... we're going to have to buy a small runaround pool car for them. Probably an eye watering amount to get a 17 year old on a 330e!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #33
Check-Mate
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Its funny that this thread popped up as i pulled it up after clicking get quotes lol.

Just had a few quotes which you may find interesting, i am now 7 years passed with 6 years NCB on my 330d.

Year one of ownership i paid £2998 (onecall)
Year two of ownership i paid £2300 (approx) (Hastings direct)
Year three of ownership i paid £1832 (Goskippy)

For this year i got a renewal quote for £1636 quote through compare the market last week and the cheapest two quotes i got were

£1554 - Debenhams finance
£1561 - Go skippy

Checked today (heard that there is some sort of reset on Thursday with prices unsure if true) on confused whilst i loaded this forum and the quotes i got were

£1427 - Debenhams finance
£1452 - Go skippy

i then checked on compare the market today and got

£1357 - Debenhams
£1360 - Go skippy

To finish it off as i rather avoid these companies i checked with BMW direct and got *drum roll please* .... .... .... .... £2260 ������
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 11:21 AM   #34
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Are folks defaulting to the cheapest? I once did that and it was all about reducing the cost. However, I started looking at trusted reviews (verified) and sometimes the second to cheapest was best!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #35
apex_crisis_
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

1st year 440i - Admiral - £2060 - London - 25
2nd year 440i - AXA - £1990 - (same address, occupation etc.) - 26
Current renewal - 1st Central - £1590 - (same address, occupation etc.) - 27

Address matters most really - with my previous car my renewal was somewhere around £900. I moved literally 2 miles away and cheapest renewal was suddenly £1300.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #36
hilift
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
premium prices change on a daily basis .
I looked every day at quotes and acquired requotes over a period of 2 weeks, while lockdown was in place .prices did fluctuate for my bike insurance up and down from a base line of £120 .by about £15 either way .

so it is a good idea to keep getting quotes several times well before insurance needs renewing .
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #37
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

27 with 10 years no claims in a good area
£900 for the 335dx
£520 for the 340i
Lovely jubly
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 06:16 PM   #38
f30paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330e

Not sure whether it still holds true, but when I turned 30, years back, the insurance premiums that year took a massive dive... so at 27 you may have many cheaper years ahead!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 05:01 AM   #39
hilift
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30paul View Post
Not sure whether it still holds true, but when I turned 30, years back, the insurance premiums that year took a massive dive... so at 27 you may have many cheaper years ahead!!!
this is true, 30 and 50 yrs old seem to be a threshold for premium reductions ,
and then again when you change " occupation "
to " retired" .
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 09:33 AM   #40
MH94
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Insured my car this year a 435i with 8 years no claim protected and living in London came out at £950 with a £250 excess

Matt.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #41
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Back in my young modification days there were 2-3 that came to mind, in no particular order:

1. Adrian Flux
2. Sky Insurance
3. Broker Direct (broker that actually shaved £300 off the Aviva quote).

Other random ones worth a try but not sure if they are open to modifications:
1. NFU Mutual
2. CSMA
Checked out brokers this morning going through an extensive list, was surprised at the night and day difference in language, professionalism and attitude over the phone between a few. Will not name as they ultimately suggested what they could do, and that was not match the best price I got so far so cuts down on wasted time both sides.

One answered, Hello... which I responded to asking to get a quote and got "Where did you get this number from?!" then really quickly firing off short questions in far from the nicest manner, "Age, Car, Age again!?, what part of the country) almost like being interrogated with no opportunity to breathe.

eSure seems to be next best cover in the event I want to go down the mods route.

Quote:
Are folks defaulting to the cheapest? I once did that and it was all about reducing the cost. However, I started looking at trusted reviews (verified) and sometimes the second to cheapest was best!
Just my thoughts earlier on reading the policy booklet I googled for the one underwriter/insurer through my Chris Knott quote, Highland (apparently part of LV broker).

Edit: Missed out the most important part, the header . First point removed

Other points that made me pause for a while:
  • NOT COVERED: Loss or damage from repossession of the insured car and returning it to its rightful owner.
  • DECISION IN CASE OF CLAIM: Entirely at our discretion and subject to payment of the policy excess,
    arrange to:
    a) repair the damage at our Approved Repairer, we may decide to use
    suitable parts or accessories which are not supplied by the original
    manufacturer, or alternatively authorise repairs at a repairer of your choice subject to the provision of satisfactory estimates,
  • SITUATIONS NOT COVERED: Pressure waves caused by aircraft and other flying objects, or Carrying any dangerous substances or goods (BBQ coal for example?)

Might have been a US thing I regularly saw on these forums, but if a car is stolen it has automatically devalued as a result of being recorded as stolen, but no compensation given as a result? Isn’t it similar with cars being CAT C/D, with the option of buying back?

Full policy: https://www.lvbroker.co.uk/customers...17140611&la=en

Pretty speechless unless I really have not been reading my other policies as well..

Honestly don't think I can be asked anymore.. will stay stock and stick with BMW. I get the "you pay to play", but this isn't even at the stage of hardware, modding and troubleshooting anything mechanical, just basic cover that does not meet any sane persons expectation.

Last edited by KTE; 10-16-2020 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50
      10-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #42
apex_crisis_
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTE View Post

Uhhhh really? No body wants to have an accident but if one were to happen you simply cancel their policy. How bizarre.

This doesn't mean that if you have an accident, they will cancel your insurance. What this means is if you have an accident (claim) and you want to cancel your insurance after, they will cancel it but won't refund the remainder.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 11:21 AM   #43
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex_crisis_ View Post
This doesn't mean that if you have an accident, they will cancel your insurance. What this means is if you have an accident (claim) and you want to cancel your insurance after, they will cancel it but won't refund the remainder.
Indeed it does, missed the header at the top with Cancellation continued.

This I am aware of through a previous experience.

20 odd days, will see how I feel down the line. Pretty long morning/afternoon spent calling around.
Appreciate 0