F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > SOS call loop, SOS malfunction
GetBMWParts

08-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #1
2wheelsrbetter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: hot rod

SOS call loop, SOS malfunction

I've searched this but haven't found similar cases and definitely not a solution. Issue's in my 2013 f30 335i non-nav, premium stereo.

Situation is: early this year I believe, just after I opted out of the SOS upgrade, I started to get unprovoked SOS dialing. The calls never went through, possibly because my car has the old 2G and because there's no service. But this process shut down radio and idrive for 7 minutes or so while attempting a call.

Over time this became more frequent until the last few weeks it became constant. As soon as I got in the car it began dialing SOS. Then it continued to try to dial even after lock and sleep, to the point where it killed my battery over a day or two of not driving the car.

Because the dialing loop is constant, I can't access idrive at all any more. I took to the dealer and they haven't seen a case like this (what I expected), and aren't sure where to start.

They ran my key and saw my idrive software is dated, so they suggested to start there. They want to charge $260 to update the software, and aren't very confident this will address the issue, and nether am I.

My first question is, when did BMW start charging to update ilevel/idrive
software?

My main question is, has anyone else experienced this, and how did it get solved?

I've seen a few posts about running a bypass loop but I don't think that's my issue. All sounds and chimes still operate in the car. I've checked speaker and light wires in drivers footwell, and all wires on the amp (?) next to the rear fuse block. I've checked all fuses I could find in the car: engine bay, trunk floor, battery bay. All those things are fine. Battery charge is 12.6 volts.

For now I've pulled fuse 121 which shut off my idrive screen and now the battery isn't draining overnight. Would love it if anyone has any advice on how to address this, dealer doesn't seem to have a clue. I have an extended warranty which doesn't cover this, so I don't want them playing trial and error to the tune of thousands.

Thanks!
Attached Images

07 e90 335i
13 mk6 GTI
13 f30 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 09:58 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsrbetter View Post
software?
Since the beginning of time unless it solves a problem covered by warranty.

The iDrive can be updated via a website and thumb drive, but the CIC hasn’t been updated in forever.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 08-06-2018 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 09:55 PM   #3
2wheelsrbetter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Since the beginning of time unless it solves a problem covered by warranty.

The iDrive can be updated via a website and thumb drive, but the CIC hasn’t been updated in forever.
I thought I read that the software charge happened recently, maybe last few months. If I know the timing, I may be able to use as leverage with the dealer. I can try sarcasm too, but odds of it swaying my SA are lower.

I also thought I saw that BMW no longer provides idrive updates online and/or thumb drive. I'd have to search to find the posts again, but don't want to do that, since my idrive in locked up from the SOS call failure loop I'm doubtful I could do an update.

Any help with the SOS call malfunction would be greatly appreciated.
I've seen some chatter for e90s abut this, but nothing for f30s.

07 e90 335i
13 mk6 GTI
13 f30 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:09 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought I read that the software charge happened recently, maybe last few months. If I know the timing, I may be able to use as leverage with the dealer. I can try sarcasm too, but odds of it swaying my SA are lower.

I also thought I saw that BMW no longer provides idrive updates online and/or thumb drive. I'd have to search to find the posts again, but don't want to do that, since my idrive in locked up from the SOS call failure loop I'm doubtful I could do an update.

Any help with the SOS call malfunction would be greatly appreciated.
I've seen some chatter for e90s abut this, but nothing for f30s.
The istep software gets updated at least monthly. So pick any date...and yes, it was just updated recently.

Dealers have always charged to update istep levels unless there is an issue under warranty that requires an update. Then BMW NA pays the Dealer. It takes around 2 hours if everything goes correctly.

Often Dealers have a USB drive for customers to update iDrive in the parking lot. But the same software is available for download online.

Once again, the NBT hasn’t been updated since 2015 and god knows how long ago the older CIC was last updated.

BTW, as updating the iDrive would put it in learning mode, odds are it would not reboot.

If it does, odds are you have an electronic part going bad and entire unit will need replacing.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:17 PM   #5
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
You can try having someone intentionally corrupt the coding data on the CMB_ECALL control unit. If it has no coding data, it will not sync with the head unit and you might be able to still use the combox for Bluetooth and USB only.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #6
2wheelsrbetter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The istep software gets updated at least monthly. So pick any date...and yes, it was just updated recently.

Dealers have always charged to update istep levels unless there is an issue under warranty that requires an update. Then BMW NA pays the Dealer. It takes around 2 hours if everything goes correctly.

Often Dealers have a USB drive for customers to update iDrive in the parking lot. But the same software is available for download online.

Once again, the NBT hasn’t been updated since 2015 and god knows how long ago the older CIC was last updated.

BTW, as updating the iDrive would put it in learning mode, odds are it would not reboot.

If it does, odds are you have an electronic part going bad and entire unit will need replacing.
This is helpful, thanks. I just checked bmw.com and was able to download their update onto a usb, not sure where I saw that it wasn't available anymore.

I also found that fuse 120 shuts down the SOS loop, but also all audio and some other idrive ability. I can now plug in fuse 121 and access idrive, but current software isn't available, nor is restore previous. If I plug 120 back in I get about 10 seconds of function before SOS takes over, not enough time to initiate the software update.

Remind me what NBT is? I'm sure my idrive has been updated since 2015.

07 e90 335i
13 mk6 GTI
13 f30 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 11:25 PM   #7
2wheelsrbetter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
You can try having someone intentionally corrupt the coding data on the CMB_ECALL control unit. If it has no coding data, it will not sync with the head unit and you might be able to still use the combox for Bluetooth and USB only.
Steve, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm pretty clueless when it comes to coding. I'll try posting for help in my local area.

What's the combox?

Based on what it's doing now, I think you're right that if I can disrupt/disable the ecall via coding then I might gain functionality back in the rest of the system.

Since I opted out of the SOS update per BMW's offer, and this is an SOS specific issue, is it fair to say that BMW should address this, warranty or not?

07 e90 335i
13 mk6 GTI
13 f30 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 11:28 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This is helpful, thanks. I just checked bmw.com and was able to download their update onto a usb, not sure where I saw that it wasn't available anymore.

I also found that fuse 120 shuts down the SOS loop, but also all audio and some other idrive ability. I can now plug in fuse 121 and access idrive, but current software isn't available, nor is restore previous. If I plug 120 back in I get about 10 seconds of function before SOS takes over, not enough time to initiate the software update.

Remind me what NBT is? I'm sure my idrive has been updated since 2015.
NBT was the system installed in F30s starting in 2014 unless you have a AH3 or live in EU. As you don't, your 2013 has the older CIC System.

As I said, as the NBT firmware hasn't been updated since 2015 (according to shawnsheridan ) so I suspect that your CIC has probably not been updated since prior to then. Thus, if your CIC was updated in 2015, it is probably the latest update (unless they released an update to disable the Connected Drive features).

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Steve, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm pretty clueless when it comes to coding. I'll try posting for help in my local area.

What's the combox?

Based on what it's doing now, I think you're right that if I can disrupt/disable the ecall via coding then I might gain functionality back in the rest of the system.

Since I opted out of the SOS update per BMW's offer, and this is an SOS specific issue, is it fair to say that BMW should address this, warranty or not?
AT&T disconnected the service, not BMW. If the gas Companies quit selling unleaded gas, would you hold BMW be responsible for that as well?

If you had accepted the BMW offer, you might have had a case.

As the service has been disconnected for 20 months now, it's hard to say claim this caused your issue or that BMW is responsible for your issue, especially as everyone else that opted out is not having the issue.

And just to be clear, the end of the first 4G/LTE System are in sight. Verizon already will not activate new devices that are not LTE-Advanced. In other words they will no longer activate a 2012 iPhone 5 or a 2013 iPhone 5s on your account any longer.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 08-07-2018 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 02:07 AM   #9
RitheeshReddy
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320i Xdrive

Quote:
I've searched this but haven't found similar cases and definitely not a solution. Issue's in my 2013 f30 335i non-nav, premium stereo.

Situation is: early this year I believe, just after I opted out of the SOS upgrade, I started to get unprovoked SOS dialing. The calls never went through, possibly because my car has the old 2G and because there's no service. But this process shut down radio and idrive for 7 minutes or so while attempting a call.

Over time this became more frequent until the last few weeks it became constant. As soon as I got in the car it began dialing SOS. Then it continued to try to dial even after lock and sleep, to the point where it killed my battery over a day or two of not driving the car.

Because the dialing loop is constant, I can't access idrive at all any more. I took to the dealer and they haven't seen a case like this (what I expected), and aren't sure where to start.

They ran my key and saw my idrive software is dated, so they suggested to start there. They want to charge $260 to update the software, and aren't very confident this will address the issue, and nether am I.

software?

My main question is, has anyone else experienced this, and how did it get solved?

I've seen a few posts about running a bypass loop but I don't think that's my issue. All sounds and chimes still operate in the car. I've checked speaker and light wires in drivers footwell, and all wires on the amp (?) next to the rear fuse block. I've checked all fuses I could find in the car: engine bay, trunk floor, battery bay. All those things are fine. Battery charge is 12.6 volts.

For now I've pulled fuse 121 which shut off my idrive screen and now the battery isn't draining overnight. Would love it if anyone has any advice on how to address this, dealer doesn't seem to have a clue. I have an extended warranty which doesn't cover this, so I don't want them playing trial and error to the tune of thousands.

Thanks!
Hello!!

I'm drivng a 2014 Bmw 320i Xdrive. I'm currently having the same issue with my car. sos is on loop and cannot access to idrive. Since it is draining the battery, I've unplugged fuse 120 for now.
I see that you have posted the message in 2018, hope it has already been fixed by now.
Can you please tell me how that sos issue was fixed??

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 12:38 PM   #10
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitheeshReddy View Post
Hello!!

I'm drivng a 2014 Bmw 320i Xdrive. I'm currently having the same issue with my car. sos is on loop and cannot access to idrive. Since it is draining the battery, I've unplugged fuse 120 for now.
I see that you have posted the message in 2018, hope it has already been fixed by now.
Can you please tell me how that sos issue was fixed??

Thanks in advance
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2004782
      10-17-2023, 05:44 PM   #11
eletbetter@yahoo.com
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2014 F30/N20 engine

My SOS malfunction is directly tied to swapping out the Comm box (since that when it showed up again), but I haven’t been able to program the new Comm box yet. I need help with this which I posted elsewhere and I’m too new to send DMS here. Dealer and shops either want north of $350 or won’t code it because I didn’t buy the box from them (semi-understandable as they claim to have been burned on client provided parts in the past).

I have seen a significant number of YouTube videos explaining this away as a failed backup battery (located up in the underside of the headliner below the fin).

I do remember when BMW discontinued this service and they re-programmed it for me at no charge, so maybe the COM box that I replaced never had that code or SOS assist deactivated.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 03:34 PM   #12
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Answered on your other thread
Appreciate 0