F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > What would YOU choose if you were ME
ARMA SPEED

08-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #1
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Updated 8/29

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163269

Thanks for the input...

UPDATED 8/29

To follow up with you guys I just got back from BMW of Freehold, NJ. Where I got an awesome deal on my current 2013 x3 35i 60k MSRP (every option), 10k a year, 3500 out of pocket, $555 a month. I was a hurricane sandy victim hence the ridiculous cheap price. Anyway. I test drove the 328i GT no M sport no DHP and it drove very nice and smooth and a little body roll as expected. I even packed up the trunk in the x3 so I can see what a packed trunk looks like in the GT. To my expectations everything fit. Except the umbrella stroller I have to not fit horizontally only on an angle. X3 seems to be at least 3-4 inches wider in the cargo area. Now on to the pricing:

Good news is that the 2016 GT models have more standard options and the packages are less. For ex 28i trim, M sport is only $2600 as opposed to $3400, premium is only $950, from $2200. So optioned exactly the way I want. It came out $2700 cheaper for the 2016. The 2015 I priced was $58,900. Do the math. So with that being said. The best price they gave me with $3900 out of pocket was $615. What a fkin joke man!! $615 they can GFTS, lol. I told them that was a decent deal and walked out with a smile. Lmao. I told him I'll see him next week anyway for the event that gives you a $1000 voucher for your next vehicle. Here is the kicker to the story. I already priced out with my lease broker "friend" a 335 GT at $63,000. You'll never believe the price. $609 with $3500 out of pocket. LOLLLL. for the 328 GT, same build and MSRP as Freehold.... You ready!! You ready for the price......................

$518 with only $3400 down.

END OF STORY. I'll update you guys on what I'm gonna do. Enjoy you weekend and I hope you love this story.

Last edited by Crashnbrn5; 09-01-2015 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

328GT. The cargo space is almost as large as the X3, rear seat room is larger, handing and ride is much better, and you don't need the 335, unless 0-60 in 0.3 seconds less means that much to you. I got mine equipped the way I wanted it for $45k, there's no need to spend more than $50k.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz
328GT. The cargo space is almost as large as the X3, rear seat room is larger, handing and ride is much better, and you don't need the 335, unless 0-60 in 0.3 seconds less means that much to you. I got mine equipped the way I wanted it for $45k, there's no need to spend more than $50k.
Thanks. But you only added 1-3 options. I need more. You need less
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 06:43 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post
Thanks. But you only added 1-3 options. I need more. You need less
I have nav, heated seats, enhanced USB and rear camera/radar. The only other option I'd like to have is active cruise, but I took the car off the lot, I didn't do a build. I'm not missing any of the other available options. BTW, an X3 owner parked next to me at the golf course, one look inside my GT and he was ready to dump his lease.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 05:49 AM   #5
markbridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW; 2017 M-B SL450

If you go for the GT then I would suggest the 335 only because you're coming out of the X3 35M. I think you will really miss the power if you go for the 328.

That said, anyone of your choices are good ones, and, yes, I'm biased, I would recommend the GT over the SAVs, and definitely over the X4, if it were in the running.

This best thing to do is to ask your dealer to put two or three of your choices side by side and take a close look at each one. Put the kids in the rear, put the stroller in the trunk and just get a good feel for how each will meet your needs. Then drive each, including the 328GT, to see how they drive.

Good luck in your search.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 06:48 AM   #6
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbridge View Post
... yes, I'm biased, I would recommend the GT over the SAVs...
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #7
pablobaq
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F34

GT all the way man. I got mine for the same reality you are in, kids, extra space, great handling. etc. and few more... Space for my bike and MTB gear. I just want to say that this car is awesome! I am also into leasing, and if my lease was up, I would get a GT again.

I heard from a friend at the dealer that they have quite a room for negotiation, with GTs because they are not selling that fast. Just an FYI when you visit the dealer.

As markbridge mentioned I too recommend the 335.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:42 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Gotta check out the Mercedes Metris van OP. That's not going to have any interior space issues

Hate to say it, vans are where it is at for family hauling. My older brother has 2yr old and 6mo old twins, his E63 gets parked in favor of Sienna

Forget the $$ truck, get a van (Metris starts $33k) and a 2 seats sports car instead.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #9
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I have nav, heated seats, enhanced USB and rear camera/radar. The only other option I'd like to have is active cruise, but I took the car off the lot, I didn't do a build. I'm not missing any of the other available options. BTW, an X3 owner parked next to me at the golf course, one look inside my GT and he was ready to dump his lease.
Sounds good man, let's see what I choose... If you are leasing how much per month and how much out of pocket? if not leasing don't answer, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbridge View Post
If you go for the GT then I would suggest the 335 only because you're coming out of the X3 35M. I think you will really miss the power if you go for the 328.

That said, anyone of your choices are good ones, and, yes, I'm biased, I would recommend the GT over the SAVs, and definitely over the X4, if it were in the running.

This best thing to do is to ask your dealer to put two or three of your choices side by side and take a close look at each one. Put the kids in the rear, put the stroller in the trunk and just get a good feel for how each will meet your needs. Then drive each, including the 328GT, to see how they drive.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks so much. I was actually gonna do that. Load up all of the cars with stuff when I'm at the dealer. Going on the 29th. Lets's see how it looks, I'll see if I can get a picture. Regarding the engine. If I opt for the 28i, I will get the Enzo Flash with the down pipe. 310hp and 330trq...lol not bad right

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablobaq View Post
GT all the way man. I got mine for the same reality you are in, kids, extra space, great handling. etc. and few more... Space for my bike and MTB gear. I just want to say that this car is awesome! I am also into leasing, and if my lease was up, I would get a GT again.

I heard from a friend at the dealer that they have quite a room for negotiation, with GTs because they are not selling that fast. Just an FYI when you visit the dealer.

As markbridge mentioned I too recommend the 335.
Thanks so much man. That is a good point to get them off the lot, offer better prices. What was your MSRP, out of pocket expense, and monthly payment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Gotta check out the Mercedes Metris van OP. That's not going to have any interior space issues

Hate to say it, vans are where it is at for family hauling. My older brother has 2yr old and 6mo old twins, his E63 gets parked in favor of Sienna

Forget the $$ truck, get a van (Metris starts $33k) and a 2 seats sports car instead.
Just Stop, lol...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 10:13 PM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good man, let's see what I choose... If you are leasing how much per month and how much out of pocket? if not leasing don't answer, lol
I didn't lease, I only drive 5k miles a year, so that made no sense. My MSRP was about $47,600, I paid $45k out the door, all fees included.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Just Stop, lol...
You know deep down the van is the best idea =) j/k

Among your choices I'd go X5 (35d)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Yes, 0.3s (totally wrong anyway) 0-60 is the only advantage of the 335 vs 328...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 03:29 AM   #13
Palexr
Lieutenant
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 330D GT M Sport

You are asking on the F34 forum what we think you should get

I have never, ever, got the point of an SUV. Unless you are a farmer, or at least use them for work in some capacity I just don't get it. But that's just me. My wife loves them and we have had VW Touareg and and a Merc M Class. Under extreme pressure I test drove an X3 alongside the GT, even she was forced to admit that it was a pointless exercise. Admittedly, over here in Europe, estates/wagons are not seen as uncool.

A real car or a bucket on skates is not really a choice
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palexr View Post
I have never, ever, got the point of an SUV.
Neither have I. Perhaps part of it is the American 'bigger is better' attitude, but IME they're only bigger, not better. My daughter has a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. Horrible vehicle, and why she thinks she needs such a behemoth when she's single, never hauls cargo and doesn't venture off-road I can't figure. She does need AWD for the winter, but you don't need to drive a thinly disguised truck to have AWD.
I did briefly consider the new Murano, as its styling doesn't closely resemble a toaster. But the thing sits four inches too high atop massive truck tires, and it's no more comfortable nor does it drive any better than the $25k Altima that it's based on.
In short, when I need a truck, I'll borrow a truck. The other 360 days of the year I want to drive a car.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #15
albieok
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i GT

I'm currently driving an X3 as a loaner while GT is in service. Comparing basic suspension and 2.8 liter engine set-ups. The X3 is a stripper. Only options are pano roof and heated seats.

Some observations:
- ride and handling is inferior to GT. X3 feels noticeably top heavy. Jittery over broken or uneven pavement.
- ride position in X3 is noticeably higher, even with elevated position of GT.
- X3 rear is not as spacious. Especially legroom. Hatch/trunk not appreciably larger, though somewhat more versatile because of sloping hatch in GT. No pneumatic strut in X3 deck lid.
- more useful and larger passenger storage and cubbies in X3. I like the sliding cover on cup holder, rather than removable cover.
- mpg in X3 is much lower. 25-27 in mixed driving, vs 32-33 I get in my GT.

I've been very happy with my GT. have put 10k miles on it in 4 months. Lots of trips and long hauls. Very comfortable and spacious.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #16
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by albieok View Post
I'm currently driving an X3 as a loaner while GT is in service. Comparing basic suspension and 2.8 liter engine set-ups. The X3 is a stripper. Only options are pano roof and heated seats.

Some observations:
- ride and handling is inferior to GT. X3 feels noticeably top heavy. Jittery over broken or uneven pavement.
- ride position in X3 is noticeably higher, even with elevated position of GT.
- X3 rear is not as spacious. Especially legroom. Hatch/trunk not appreciably larger, though somewhat more versatile because of sloping hatch in GT. No pneumatic strut in X3 deck lid.
- more useful and larger passenger storage and cubbies in X3. I like the sliding cover on cup holder, rather than removable cover.
- mpg in X3 is much lower. 25-27 in mixed driving, vs 32-33 I get in my GT.

I've been very happy with my GT. have put 10k miles on it in 4 months. Lots of trips and long hauls. Very comfortable and spacious.
This is great input. Let me tell you a quick story. I have a the 35i M-sport with DHP and it handles great, obv your test x3 was watered down. I test drove the 335i GT Msport 2 years ago without DHP and I felt more body roll in the GT as compared with my X3, with that being said the GT drove very nice, just a little boaty like one would expect from a "high off the ground" car. But during the test drive I was quite happy that my X3 performed superior in the corners. I'm sure the GT with DHP is better though, not a doubt.

And to answer those people that don't know why SUVs exist, it's also because a higher seating position that some people desire and of course more ground clearance for snow, dirt, sand, gravel, rocks, etc. It's just better to have an SUV for climates that demand one. Is an SUV pointless, lets say in Florida and the like, yes it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #17
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And to answer those people that don't know why SUVs exist, it's also because a higher seating position that some people desire and of course more ground clearance for snow, dirt, sand, gravel, rocks, etc. It's just better to have an SUV for climates that demand one. Is an SUV pointless, lets say in Florida and the like, yes it is.
Check out my location. FWIW it's estimated that 95% of SUVs are never used off road, including Jeep. The only advantage to the higher seating position is to improve visibility in a sea of SUVs. IMO driving them is an example of herd mentality. I'm a lone wolf.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #18
bmw-again
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 440xi GC-15 X1 xline

I have both an x3 and a GT and they are two totally different vehicles. I really enjoy my x3 for driving to work and will continue to have one probably forever for that. My GT my wife drives and she likes it because there is a ton of room in the back for groceries and for the two car seats. They are a niche product and for specific people who need the rear seat room or the trunk space.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #19
Bavarianwagon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G31

I'd go with either the GT or the X4 if I were in your shoes.

Why the X4? Purely based on the fact that you said you wanted
"something new and refreshing". It's very different in-terms of design. Especially compared to the rest of the SAV line-up the BMW has on offer.
But it still has sufficient space and practicality for a family of your size.
Now, I've only driven an X4 powered by the 2 litre entry-level diesel (190 HP). Even so, it was still very enjoyable to drive.
Especially for a vehicle of it's size and proportions.
Granted it did have the m-sport package with its stiffer suspension. So that might've helped it in the corners.

Why the GT? Well it makes more sense as a family-hauler. It's got all the leg room you could ask for.
So even when your kids grow a bit older there won't be any issues regarding roominess.
Same goes for cargo space.
Also considering it's cheaper than the rest of the cars
you've specified you could spec it out quite well. In my humble opinion it also drives more like a "normal" car than most SUVs/SAVs can boast with.
It does have its tendencies to roll a bit more in the corners on the non-m-sport/adaptive suspension I have to admit.
It also looks quite sharp and aggressive with the m-sport package as well.
And finally it, like the X4, is a bit more "unusual" and different both in-terms of styling and utility. But in a good way!

Of course I'm automatically a bit more biased towards the GT since I own one myself. But hopefully I could atleast contribute with something of worth
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 03:53 PM   #20
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarianwagon View Post
I'd go with either the GT or the X4 if I were in your shoes.

Why the X4? Purely based on the fact that you said you wanted
"something new and refreshing". It's very different in-terms of design. Especially compared to the rest of the SAV line-up the BMW has on offer.
But it still has sufficient space and practicality for a family of your size.
Now, I've only driven an X4 powered by the 2 litre entry-level diesel (190 HP). Even so, it was still very enjoyable to drive.
Especially for a vehicle of it's size and proportions.
Granted it did have the m-sport package with its stiffer suspension. So that might've helped it in the corners.

Why the GT? Well it makes more sense as a family-hauler. It's got all the leg room you could ask for.
So even when your kids grow a bit older there won't be any issues regarding roominess.
Same goes for cargo space.
Also considering it's cheaper than the rest of the cars
you've specified you could spec it out quite well. In my humble opinion it also drives more like a "normal" car than most SUVs/SAVs can boast with.
It does have its tendencies to roll a bit more in the corners on the non-m-sport/adaptive suspension I have to admit.
It also looks quite sharp and aggressive with the m-sport package as well.
And finally it, like the X4, is a bit more "unusual" and different both in-terms of styling and utility. But in a good way!

Of course I'm automatically a bit more biased towards the GT since I own one myself. But hopefully I could atleast contribute with something of worth
THis is excellent thanks so much. I know going with the X4 I'm going to lose some desirable options that I can afford in the GT
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 02:24 PM   #21
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Follow Up 8/29

To follow up with you guys I just got back from BMW of Freehold, NJ. Where I got an awesome deal on my current 2013 x3 35i 60k MSRP (every option), 10k a year, 3500 out of pocket, $555 a month. I was a hurricane sandy victim hence the ridiculous cheap price. Anyway. I test drove the 328i GT no M sport no DHP and it drove very nice and smooth and a little body roll as expected. I even packed up the trunk in the x3 so I can see what a packed trunk looks like in the GT. To my expectations everything fit. Except the umbrella stroller I have to not fit horizontally only on an angle. X3 seems to be at least 3-4 inches wider in the cargo area. Now on to the pricing:

Good news is that the 2016 GT models have more standard options and the packages are less. For ex 28i trim, M sport is only $2600 as opposed to $3400, premium is only $950, from $2200. So optioned exactly the way I want. It came out $2700 cheaper for the 2016. The 2015 I priced was $58,900. Do the math. So with that being said. The best price they gave me with $3900 out of pocket was $615. What a fkin joke man!! $615 they can GFTS, lol. I told them that was a decent deal and walked out with a smile. Lmao. I told him I'll see him next week anyway for the event that gives you a $1000 voucher for your next vehicle. Here is the kicker to the story. I already priced out with my lease broker "friend" a 335 GT at $63,000. You'll never believe the price. $609 with $3500 out of pocket. LOLLLL. for the 328 GT, same build and MSRP as Freehold.... You ready!! You ready for the price......................

$518 with only $3400 down.

END OF STORY. I'll update you guys on what I'm gonna do. Enjoy you weekend and I hope you love this story.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 05:43 AM   #22
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

that deal you have is too high..

i just got my GT last 2days ago and i did not put any money on it. as in ZERO down and monthly is 600

this is M sport and fully loaded. i also snatched a bmw shoulder bag on their store as part of the deal. on top of that full tank, i will get another $50 gas card as well.

this is my 5th bmw and i must say GT is the best of them all!

i debadged it already for cleaner look and left the GT sign only.

im in the process of coding it. so far what i did is, automatic folding mirror, close window, seatbelt, M logo appears when turning of the vehicle, close rear trunk via fob.

still exploring...
2009 X5 xDrive 30i
2008 135i Coupe
Appreciate 0