F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Steering wheel buttons and AC unit not working
Studio RSR

05-22-2021, 04:14 PM   #1
alpha_male
Rep
Drives: F31

Steering wheel buttons and AC unit not working

Hi All

Need some help please. I was installing a reverse camera (non OEM) to my f31 and have now got problems with my steering wheel buttons.
The camera has a decoder that plugs into the quadlock that was connected to the NBT uhead unit.
I connected up the decoder but the idrive screen was blank so assumed i had done something wrong. So I put i back to how it was and now the screen etc is working but none of my steering wheel buttons are working and the climate control / heated seat / radio unit buttons do not work (does not power on).
So i cannot control the radio volume from the head unit nor turn on heated seats / ac / fan.
Additionally none of the steering wheel buttons work, neither horn nor does illuminate. Steering wheel stalks don't work either and wipers constantly on.
message on idrive about cruise control failure.
Checked various fuses but no luck.
I drive controller working fine.

I am sure it has something to do with me installing the reverse camera decoder but I haven't touched any of the steering wheel controls or harnesses. I dont have any diagnostic tools but if anyone has any ideas on what is causing this or what else to check I'd appreciate it.
Did a search and people talking about SZL and clock springs but i haven had the wheel off.

Odd the heater / radio unit wont power on either.
Thanks

Last edited by alpha_male; 05-22-2021 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You probably can't diagnose the problem without an OBD diagnostic tool.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 05:34 AM   #3
alpha_male
Rep
Drives: F31

Thanks, that was my concern. So i opened up all three fuse boxes today and went through every fuse one at a time. Bonnet and trunk fuses all checked out - no issues.
Then decided to check FEM. Was a bit fiddly to get to but managed to get at it. First fuse i checked (top right when looking at FEM, 5A), was blown. So i yanked one of the interior light fuses out (think trunk) and replaced the blown one. Everything working again - wipers, steering stalk, steering buttons etc .
I have not been able to find a fuse layout for the FEM - does anyone have this ?

Now getting battery discharged messages but perhaps because I had doors open for some time and interior lights were on - lets see.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 06:25 AM   #4
agreennz
Registered
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D

��Thanks for this. Was suffering almost identical problem on f30 320D after installing replacement display with inbuilt CarPlay and reversing camera input. Symptoms are headlights on full beam, wipers on full time, cruise Control malfunction error on dash, and no indicators. Fitting was same with wiring into a new quadlock adaptor on the Alpine head unit
Will be checking fuse on FEM tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 05:54 PM   #5
mrjgonzalez
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xim

i have also encountered this. no steering wheel controls, no radio, no climate and wipers stay on. any fix for this?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 12:11 PM   #6
Sprinterman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 touring

I had this issue also after fitting an led ac climate control surround. The 5amp fuse blew in the FEM. Changed it and everything worked again, apart from the AC heating and the CD player, no display either, but it’s still blowing warm/hot air which is strange. Checked all the fuses but they all look good, I’m guessing the fuse is 20 or 10 amp but not sure. Any ideas? Don’t want to spend money at the dealers if I can fix it myself
      10-23-2023, 10:32 AM   #7
Sprinterman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 touring

Update, there was a loose wire at the back of the AC/climate control panel, where it had pulled out when I removed the panel, damaged pins, ordered new pins and repinned them. ISTA + had a lot of fault errors regarding the climate control, so I cleared them, all working properly now