F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New - 2014 335d xDrive
GetBMWParts

06-10-2021, 08:23 AM   #1
MattyLloyd73
Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d xDrive

Talking New - 2014 335d xDrive

New to this forum, but not new to the 335d... previously had a 2008 335d but the timing chain snapped on the M40.... bad times.. so it was waved off..

I have just purchased a 2014, 335d xDrive... couple of little niggles after a good test drive and drive home without any issues, engine sound, box sound, ticked the boxes, etc.. but then;

1. Drive train warning light popped up after first 'cold' start, accelerating not too harshly up a hill on the school run.. dropped kids off (too many jokes!) started up again and no issues, error cleared spoke to my ex-BMW mechanic mate who asked about the tyres.. brand new on RHS front and rear, minimal tread left on LHS front and rear.. he then suggested it needs new tyres to match good RHS, so ordered those and hopefully will fix the problem but I'm open to further suggestions from the knowledgeable crowd on what this may be.. Also to note, had the error appear and then clear itself within about 200 yards... never seen that before!

2. Suspension feels terrible, really rolls in comparison to my old 335d, reading lots about the general feeling towards the 335d xDrive suspension so was wondering the best way to go with improving this.

3. Dealer I purchased from is paying for the new tyres, so all good there but wants me to confirm that I'll accept this as the solution to the problem, maybe slightly suspicious of me but does he know more than he's letting on? I've paid for them in the interim so I'm waiting till they've been fitted and the laser alignment has been done (I'm told this will improve the handling, suspension, etc.. also) then I'll give it a few days of driving and see if I get the error again..

4. Being a 2014 model I'm aware I can't get ApplePlay, gutted... however, I want it and how do I go about it, how much does it cost? I've seen some retro fitted boxes, etc.. any good?

5. looking to get a front splitter and rear diffuser purchased, best one for the money and where from? I'd go carbon but i deal with it every day so prefer the gloss black variant.

Apologies for the long winded first post but appreciate any and all replies

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 08:42 AM   #2
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Welcome....I also have a 2014 335d, I can't help with the drive train warning but with regard to the suspension then you'll find numerous threads discussing this.

The 335's come with SE suspension, thus sit higher than the other models from factory. Probably the easiest solution is to get some lowering springs from the likes of Eibach or ACS. Personally, I went with the ACS option and also fitted a 15mm anti-roll bar instead of the standard 12mm. Al depends how far you want to go with this, ACS and Birds do full kits for the suspension but then you're in for a couple of grand over the £500 for just the springs.

My rear diffuser and front splitter came from Fast Lane styling in Romford, I actually took the front one off as it became annoying over the numerous speed bumps around here.

CarPlay, again as with most things depends on how much cash you want to throw at the 'problem' but you can get a full refit done for around £1000 which would be a genuine BMW item, failing that you could get an aftermarket Android head unit -

https://droiduk.com/product-category/bmw-3-series/

Or an MMI box -

https://droiduk.com/product-category/mmi-box/

HTH
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 09:04 AM   #3
ar68
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F36 440i

Xdrives don't like tyre tread depth differences on the same axle or front to back so there is a good chance that's what is throwing the fault message.
I had ACS springs and the 15mm rear ARB on my lci F31 335d and just the ACS springs on my pre lci F30 335d.
      06-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
MattyLloyd73
Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramsnik View Post
Welcome....I also have a 2014 335d, I can't help with the drive train warning but with regard to the suspension then you'll find numerous threads discussing this.

The 335's come with SE suspension, thus sit higher than the other models from factory. Probably the easiest solution is to get some lowering springs from the likes of Eibach or ACS. Personally, I went with the ACS option and also fitted a 15mm anti-roll bar instead of the standard 12mm. Al depends how far you want to go with this, ACS and Birds do full kits for the suspension but then you're in for a couple of grand over the £500 for just the springs.

My rear diffuser and front splitter came from Fast Lane styling in Romford, I actually took the front one off as it became annoying over the numerous speed bumps around here.

CarPlay, again as with most things depends on how much cash you want to throw at the 'problem' but you can get a full refit done for around £1000 which would be a genuine BMW item, failing that you could get an aftermarket Android head unit -

https://droiduk.com/product-category/bmw-3-series/

Or an MMI box -

https://droiduk.com/product-category/mmi-box/

HTH
Thanks for that, much appreciated.. I've been told Eibach springs and have a decent price on those so will look in to it.. is it worth swapping out the shocks at the same time? Fronts are a must ASAP in my opinion and then do the rears as and when, or do I just go and get the lot done together (money dependant obviously!)

Thanks for the advice..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 11:02 AM   #5
MattyLloyd73
Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar68 View Post
Xdrives don't like tyre tread depth differences on the same axle or front to back so there is a good chance that's what is throwing the fault message.
I had ACS springs and the 15mm rear ARB on my lci F31 335d and just the ACS springs on my pre lci F30 335d.
Thanks for that.. hopefully once the tyres and alignment are done it'll be sorted!!

Thanks for the springs advice, I'm leaning at getting front and rear sorted together and look in to shocks also, but possibly springs for now to see how that is on current shocks (unless they are toast at the front, as that's how it feels!).. The Bilstein shocks and springs for the fronts alone is £500 without fitting, but may need to be done.. not sure if I'm happy or sad about that..
Appreciate 1
ar68149.00
      06-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #6
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I would do better shocks at the same time especially when doing the front.
don't want to be changing everything twice..
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2021, 11:37 AM   #7
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Yea do it at the same time, no point paying twice for labour. Are you on adaptive dampers?
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2021, 01:35 PM   #8
MattyLloyd73
Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramsnik View Post
Yea do it at the same time, no point paying twice for labour. Are you on adaptive dampers?
No, not sure if that's a good thing or not given how opinions differ on here..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #9
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I have a 2014 335d and the original non-adaptive rear shocks were terrible. Very soft with a slow rebound.

How many miles have you done? If doing the springs and shocks then may be worth getting the top mounts changed too.
      06-10-2021, 03:15 PM   #10
g9icy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe MSport

Another vote for ACS springs, though mine had adaptive so I didn't opt for dampers.

Another thing that may be causing the drive train issue is a low battery. Can't remember why exactly, but I was told this by a BMW service manager when mine was throwing errors. It was during the middle of lockdown, where I'd barely driven the car. The error did just vanish on its own once I started using the car more.

Perhaps an OBD scanner and the Carly/BimmerCode app to scan for errors might be a good investment?
      06-12-2021, 05:22 AM   #11
MattyLloyd73
Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
I have a 2014 335d and the original non-adaptive rear shocks were terrible. Very soft with a slow rebound.

How many miles have you done? If doing the springs and shocks then may be worth getting the top mounts changed too.
Car currently sits at 85k, no mention of any upgrade/change to the suspension in the history.

Given some of the tips and information on here I'm best served (once tyres and alignment is done) to change front/rear shocks/springs, mounts, review the bushes, etc.. oil service and change the battery just for peace of mind.

I'm also thinking of getting the wheels 're-cut' as there's some kerbing (not me!!) selling those and buying some other 19's which are more to my taste, but I'll wait on that one until I'm happy all is good!!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 04:07 PM   #12
scotsman335dxDrive
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyLloyd73 View Post
Thanks for that.. hopefully once the tyres and alignment are done it'll be sorted!!

Thanks for the springs advice, I'm leaning at getting front and rear sorted together and look in to shocks also, but possibly springs for now to see how that is on current shocks (unless they are toast at the front, as that's how it feels!).. The Bilstein shocks and springs for the fronts alone is £500 without fitting, but may need to be done.. not sure if I'm happy or sad about that..
I tried the ACS springs as it seemed everyone said that was all the 335d xDrive needed. But to me they were better than stock springs but still terrible to drive quickly and was still pretty much all over the place and too easy to bottom out on crests and undulating surfaces. So in the end i had a few conversations with Kevin Bird from Birds Tuners and i had the Birds B3 sports suspension kit, dampers and springs fitted. Now the car is just about what i reckon it should have been from the factory, a lot smoother and comfortable and a LOT flatter through the twisties. I am much happier now. All in £1595
      06-17-2021, 03:13 PM   #13
canonsred
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i

You probably want that drive train investigated. Get the dealer to run the diagnostic on it as if it goes unchecked and your out of warranty it can cost a fair whack
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #14
MattyLloyd73
Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quick update!

So, I've had the new tyres fitted and initially all good, car feels completely different now the new tyres are on and the alignment has been done.

However, from cold after about 300-400 yards when I first give it some gas (to get moving up to approx. 40mph) the 'drivetrain' warning comes back on again, sometimes staying on until I've turned the engine off and sometimes it's off as soon as I acknowledge the message... any ideas?

When warm I never get the error appear, something simple or?

I'm still looking in to the suspension upgrade even though the current feels much better after the tyres/alignment done.

Finally, AB Tuning for engine and gearbox, get it done? I'm keen.

Cheers!!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #15
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyLloyd73 View Post
So, I've had the new tyres fitted and initially all good, car feels completely different now the new tyres are on and the alignment has been done.

However, from cold after about 300-400 yards when I first give it some gas (to get moving up to approx. 40mph) the 'drivetrain' warning comes back on again, sometimes staying on until I've turned the engine off and sometimes it's off as soon as I acknowledge the message... any ideas?

When warm I never get the error appear, something simple or?

I'm still looking in to the suspension upgrade even though the current feels much better after the tyres/alignment done.

Finally, AB Tuning for engine and gearbox, get it done? I'm keen.

Cheers!!
Before you do anything else, I'd be taking it back to the dealer you got it from. Any further mods and they'll say it's your fault and will not touch it.

If you need to get it diagnosed, do it at their cost and they can settle the invoice.

Armaan
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2021, 05:35 AM   #16
PeakyJ
Enthusiast
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d

Get the fault codes read ASAP otherwise it’s all guess work.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 03:38 PM   #17
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaan View Post
Before you do anything else, I'd be taking it back to the dealer you got it from. Any further mods and they'll say it's your fault and will not touch it.

If you need to get it diagnosed, do it at their cost and they can settle the invoice.

Armaan
Absolutely this. the minute you tune it forget about getting any support fixing issues, and if it’s an expensive fix you’ll be kicking yourself.

I personally wouldn’t even entertain mapping the engine or gearbox while there is a drivetrain warning!
Appreciate 1