F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MG flasher - mobile App for B58 Fxx/Gxx tuning -- NOW LIVE!!!
Studio RSR

04-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #265
Bavarian MW
lurker
Rep
Drives: 16 s1000r 17 M240i 18 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgadv View Post
MG Flasher states....

"Rest assured, our JR Auto Performance software is designed to keep your CVN (Checksum Verification Number) and flash counter untouched. This means our software will be virtually invisible to dealer level diagnostic tools."

Should the vehicle require a remote session with BMW Techs (such as my situation after dealer firmware update did not complete) - will their software detect that a flash was done?

This is important for those who are concerned about potential issue with warranty after a Flash - you should be 100% transparent about whether Flash is detectable at any level of diagnosis, not just Dealer-level.

It's not my intent to be accusatory, I believe there should be full disclosure so we understand whether they may be a risk if BMW itself has to do a diagnostic.

Jarek, looking forward to your reply.
We cannot ever be 100% when it comes to the questions you ask, and with ANY tune. I and many people have accepted that as fact, still have installed the MG Flash and others, and are enjoying them greatly. If you want 100%, got to give up that enjoyment.

Historically speaking most people have good luck running flash tunes and getting warranty coverage, not 100% though. There is always that thread that pops up about BMW denied this or that etc.. Extra security is just that, extra security. --MW
Appreciate 1
David0ff1056.00
      04-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #266
BLACK HAWK DOWN
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16' AW 340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
MG Flasher states....

"Rest assured, our JR Auto Performance software is designed to keep your CVN (Checksum Verification Number) and flash counter untouched. This means our software will be virtually invisible to dealer level diagnostic tools."

Should the vehicle require a remote session with BMW Techs (such as my situation after dealer firmware update did not complete) - will their software detect that a flash was done?

This is important for those who are concerned about potential issue with warranty after a Flash - you should be 100% transparent about whether Flash is detectable at any level of diagnosis, not just Dealer-level.

It's not my intent to be accusatory, I believe there should be full disclosure so we understand whether they may be a risk if BMW itself has to do a diagnostic.

If you want a 100% guarantee that your warranty will be unaffected, simply do not modify your car.
      04-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #267
bmw22915
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK HAWK DOWN View Post
Quote:
MG Flasher states....

If you want a 100% guarantee that your warranty will be unaffected, simply do not modify your car.
You're missing the point of his post...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #268
pgadv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 xDrive M Sport MPPSK

Thanks for the feedback

I really only meant whether BMW LEVEL scan could still see the flash was applied

It appears the answer is yes based on the responses

Obviously we need to take responsibility for our choices 😀
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #269
pgadv
Enlisted Member
Rep

So, I will simplify my question for Jerek:

Is MG Flasher detectable by BMW-level diagnostics?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #270
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
So, I will simplify my question for Jerek:

Is MG Flasher detectable by BMW-level diagnostics?

Thanks
Hi, I see you're new here. This question has been asked and answered a few times.

If you break your engine BMW will find out.

Are they deep diving investigation during an oil change? Probably not.

If you break something, a PUMA case will be opened and they will find out.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #271
pgadv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks GNewt

My post is not about BMW doing a deep dive due to damage

I stated that BMW TECHS had to do a firmware update remotely because the dealer couldn’t complete it

My question is whether that routine process would detect the flash - seeing as BMW is doing it and not as the dealer?

That is the real point of my post

Cheers 😀

Last edited by pgadv; 04-14-2019 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #272
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks GNewt

My post is not about BMW doing a deep dive due to damage

I stated that BMW TECHS had to do a firmware update remotely because the dealer couldn’t complete it

My question is whether that routine process would detect the flash - seeing as BMW is doing it and not as the dealer?

That is the real point of my post

Cheers 😀
Ah gotcha. In that case, it's recommended to return to stock and relock the DME before bringing it in for service. Just in case to not set any red flags. It's really up to the dealer/service advisor IF they did notice it and whether or not to mark your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #273
pgadv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Right....

Soooi, now to my question

When it’s returned to stock, can BMW TECHS determine it was previously flashed? The reason I bring this up is because MG’s reference to flash being undetectable is in reference to Dealer service only?

Hence my requesting Jarek’s clarification
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #274
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Right....

Soooi, now to my question

When it’s returned to stock, can BMW TECHS determine it was previously flashed? The reason I bring this up is because MG’s reference to flash being undetectable is in reference to Dealer service only?

Hence my requesting Jarek’s clarification
Apologies for my slowness. Don't do dabs and forum.

That's generally true, even across most of the flash tunes. Dealer-level diagnostics will be mostly blind to legit flash tunes. They're all doing similar things to mask so it makes sense their behavior is the same: dealer-level is okay, BMW-level is bad news lol.
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      04-14-2019, 02:42 PM   #275
pgadv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #276
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

[QUOTE=G.Newt;24653962]Apologies for my slowness. Don't do dabs and forum.

Rocky Mountain high?
G.Newt806.00
      04-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #277
Jarek@JRAuto
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: G20 340i

Is the flash undetectable by the dealer?

There is no tune on the market which is undetectable.

We can only guarantee with MG Flasher that CVN number (Checksum Verification Number) along with flashing counter stays untouched and we advise to flash to stock (short flash) every time before visiting the service to keep all parameters stock and avoid visual suspected signs of altering the software such as gauges calibration, cold start delete. You don’t need re-lock your ECU.

BMW ECU stores historical data values/logs called Fasta Data which can be read by dealer level tools – but it may only be reviewed in specific situation to qualify warranty repairs (blown turbo, engine damage etc).
Normal, everyday service procedures including software update are done without deep investigation – dealer operates as every work shop – repair, warranty, recall, has to be done on time so technically you don't have to worry about servicing.

If you are not comfortable to do modifications to your car and you want 100% guarantee simply avoid software modification or any hardware mods - wait until warranty expires.
Appreciate 4
      04-15-2019, 01:52 PM   #278
Jarek@JRAuto
Canada
Rep

MG Flasher - some important facts

In response to many questions and some false information posted by various individuals across multiple forums we would like to clarify some things.

MG Flasher does not flash over your original, specific, dedicated software for your car with another general (SWFK) data calibration version.
CVN number (Checksum Verification Number) along with flashing counter stays untouched.

We built the application logic, lookup functions and tables in our internal database along with the scripts to identify all differences between different SWFK (data area) versions and only apply proper changes, updates and corrections to the same calibration stored originally in the car without altering or ignoring changes between your chassis and its original calibration.
Upon first connection to your vehicle MG Flasher runs a process labeled “Check for Support” and on each flash attempt performs a sanity check which verifies all pertinent data including the bootloader, internal code section and the map data area. With all this information it is virtually impossible that your ECU will be flashed with wrong calibration.
Our database contains almost 400 original and updated calibration versions (only B58 Fxx) for all markets: EU6, EU5, USA, JPN, CHN, ECE and different models such as F20, F22, F30, F31, F33, F34

Flashing the same data - general calibration to all B58 equipped Fxx chassis is not exactly possible since there are too many differences between calibrations i.e. country designations, driveline configuration, transmission type, software type etc, so if car is flashed with a different software you will be able immediately find out after the first test drive if your car is having some issues and is not driving properly.

We stand by our product and ensure that each and every one of our clients will be taken care of in terms of support for any issue related with flashing.
Appreciate 4
G.Newt806.00
David0ff1056.00
BackBlue107.00
      04-16-2019, 03:26 PM   #279
pgadv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Jarek

Thank you for your detailed explanation and clarification of my question.

I really appreciate it and can now make an informed decision.

I know first time “flashers” (pun intended) will appreciate it as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 03:31 PM   #280
henkherrie
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2016 M140i

Thanks for the update on the app Jarek.

Maybe got an updated version of the custom ST2 map also?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 07:49 PM   #281
bmc340
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I really want to go Stage 2 and wondering where I can get a good trans (TCU) flash from to handle the additional torque. Anyone have any tuner suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 01:56 AM   #282
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
i just bought the logger app and did 5 runs with it. However, I have never logged before and really don't know what i am looking at. I flashed stage 2 93 octane map.

Could someone be kind enough to have a look and see what they think?

Also, I do want to learn so if there is a basic 101 on how to read logs as well as which parameters are important to log then im keen to read and learn.

On the power and torque screen I am only getting up to about 400-420 bhp and 550NM. Ive seen others going all the way up to 460/640. There is no definitive answer as to whether its just for show or whether it is a function of x y z to determine approx numbers. Its all speculative at present so lets not get into that. But I do believe there is some truth to it as I have in the past seen lower numbers and indeed it was the wrong tune, which I could see and feel.

Again I do feel like the car is stronger but not as strong as it should be. It does feel around 410hp and 550Nm torque as per the dials.

The point though is not to argue the dials (that's a whole other huge argument not for here), just whether someone could look at the logs and see if there are any reasons for the suspected lower power and torque im feeling. Thanks!

Note the files are uploaded as txt but needs to be changed to xlsx as it wont let me upload as xlsx

I tried to include the parameters which I thought were important and did a few different runs.
Attached Files
File Type: txt log 1.txt (169.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: txt log 2.txt (11.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: txt log 3.txt (64.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: txt log 4.txt (84.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: txt log 5.txt (152.1 KB, 43 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #283
Jarek@JRAuto
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
i just bought the logger app and did 5 runs with it. However, I have never logged before and really don't know what i am looking at. I flashed stage 2 93 octane map.

Also, I do want to learn so if there is a basic 101 on how to read logs as well as which parameters are important to log then im keen to read and learn.

On the power and torque screen I am only getting up to about 400-420 bhp and 550NM. Ive seen others going all the way up to 460/640. There is no definitive answer as to whether its just for show or whether it is a function of x y z to determine approx numbers. Its all speculative at present so lets not get into that. But I do believe there is some truth to it as I have in the past seen lower numbers and indeed it was the wrong tune, which I could see and feel.

Again I do feel like the car is stronger but not as strong as it should be. It does feel around 410hp and 550Nm torque as per the dials.

The point though is not to argue the dials (that's a whole other huge argument not for here), just whether someone could look at the logs and see if there are any reasons for the suspected lower power and torque im feeling. Thanks!

Note the files are uploaded as txt but needs to be changed to xlsx as it wont let me upload as xlsx

I tried to include the parameters which I thought were important and did a few different runs.
Please send all logs in original *.csv format to support@mgflasher.com. I will be happy to explain how to read and understand basic.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #284
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post

Middle-Upper RPMs pulling throttle...bad gas?
      04-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #285
Jarek@JRAuto
Canada
Rep

@x5mad The problem is that you are hitting transmission protection limiter (Getriebeschutz).
You can't use ST2 with stock 8HP software - you need to program your 8HP or use our ST2 custom stage see post #196
Feel free to flash ST1 and perform all logs again in proper format I sent to your email please.

I'm going to create new - separate thread or MG Flasher users group for logs and deeper technical discussions.

Last edited by Jarek@JRAuto; 04-18-2019 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2019, 05:41 AM   #286
BackBlue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, '13 E70 N63, '19 F33 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarek@JRAuto View Post
The problem is that you are hitting transmission protection limiter (Getriebeschutz).
You can't use ST2 with stock 8HP software - you need to program your 8HP.
Jarek@JRAuto You have stated right here in this thread that you have a custom tune that address this specific issue with our auto trans. Now the only option is ST2 ? What gives??? Is it no longer available or did it not work as intended?

Update us please!
Appreciate 0