F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Hit and Run (to the US of A)
Extreme Powerhouse
View Poll Results: Do you think the US will accede to the UK's extradition request?
Yes 5 16.67%
No 25 83.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

07-22-2020, 07:44 AM   #67
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
The article states they won’t be retrospective.
Yep they've updated it now - was pretty much just a headline earlier.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #68
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
"Harry Dunn's parents have lost their High Court battle against the Foreign Office over whether their son's alleged killer had diplomatic immunity."

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #69
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Shame for the family now. I said early on the only way she's coming back is if she chooses to.

They all keep saying she is the wife of an Official which is true, but she is also a serving CIA Officer who out ranks him and has been promoted since returning to the US.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 01:48 PM   #70
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Yes it is a shame, really feel for the parents but I think they need to let this go, the US are never going to extradite her.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #71
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Yes it is a shame, really feel for the parents but I think they need to let this go, the US are never going to extradite her.
I don’t think she should come back now either. She should have stayed in the first place.

No chance of a fair trial now if she did. It would be a trial by media, with loads of pressure applied.

It’s awful what happened, but it wasn’t deliberate and I don’t think it deserves a prison sentence. I’ve driven abroad, been driven by my parents abroad a lot, and there have been a couple or 3 occasions where brain went into autopilot and we were momentarily on the wrong side of the road, and just lucky nothing came the other way.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #72
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
I don’t think she should come back now either. She should have stayed in the first place.

No chance of a fair trial now if she did. It would be a trial by media, with loads of pressure applied.

It’s awful what happened, but it wasn’t deliberate and I don’t think it deserves a prison sentence. I’ve driven abroad, been driven by my parents abroad a lot, and there have been a couple or 3 occasions where brain went into autopilot and we were momentarily on the wrong side of the road, and just lucky nothing came the other way.
I know what you mean but she should come back and let the court decide what she deserves. It's a regular occurrence in the area round Croughton and Bicester and it's often anything but momentary. There are loads of videos on Youtube of (presumably) Americans sailing along on the wrong side of the road.

What makes it harder to understand is that they have to drive on the left on the base, so when they turn onto the B4031 it's not like they've just driven off the ferry or something.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #73
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
I know what you mean but she should come back and let the court decide what she deserves. It's a regular occurrence in the area round Croughton and Bicester and it's often anything but momentary. There are loads of videos on Youtube of (presumably) Americans sailing along on the wrong side of the road.

What makes it harder to understand is that they have to drive on the left on the base, so when they turn onto the B4031 it's not like they've just driven off the ferry or something.
That’s sort of what I mean. Court won’t decide in the same impartial way it might have if she hadn’t run, with all the publicity and pressure that will be applied.

And if a few have done it, to me it shows it’s easy to do, not that she should be made an example of to teach the rest of them. I doubt they’re doing it intentionally either.

The times where I’ve had to think most when driving abroad, which I’ve done a lot, was coming up to a t junction when I’d just set off somewhere. Even if I approached on the correct side, with no other traffic around, sometimes it requires a bit of double checking and thought before setting off. And I have got it wrong when I didn’t think, only when no traffic in sight, as that’s when I very very occasionally got brain fog.

Super sad for family, and I believe there should have been some fair punishment, but I just think this mission to bring her to justice is not healthy for the family.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 11-24-2020 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      11-24-2020, 04:10 PM   #74
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post

That's sort of what I mean. Court won't decide in the same impartial way it might have if she hadn't run, with all the publicity and pressure that will be applied.

And if a few have done it, to me it shows it's easy to do, not that she should be made an example of to teach the rest of them. I doubt they're doing it intentionally either.

The times where I've had to think most when driving abroad, which I've done a lot, was coming up to a t junction when I'd just set off somewhere. Even if I approached on the correct side, with no other traffic around, sometimes it requires a bit of double checking and thought before setting off.

Super sad for family, and I believe there should have been some fair punishment, but I just think this mission to bring her to justice is not healthy for the family.
Fair comment and I'm certainly not faultless myself, I've been caught out more than once at unusual junctions abroad. I just (like to) think that if I killed someone I'd face the music.

I reckon if she came back, she'd get a suspended sentence and then at least the family could have closure. As you say, they're not doing themselves any favours by dragging it out but they obviously feel they owe it to their son. A very sad case regardless of the outcome.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2021, 04:50 AM   #75
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Harry Dunn death: Biden sympathetic over case, says PM. BBC news on Johnson and Biden speaking at the G7 Summit 2021.

I think Harry's mum summed it up perfectly, it's significant that the two chose to discuss this but what, if anything, will come of it.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 06:14 AM   #76
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Harry Dunn death: Biden sympathetic over case, says PM. BBC news on Johnson and Biden speaking at the G7 Summit 2021.

I think Harry's mum summed it up perfectly, it's significant that the two chose to discuss this but what, if anything, will come of it.
Well Biden has his own personal life experience after losing his 1st wife and son in a car accident when he was young. Plus a house brick would have more sympathy than the last Commander in Chief..

But I still think that unless she decides to come back herself she won't be coming back. She's been granted Diplomatic Immunity already and her lawyers will tie them up in knots if they they tried to extradite her now. Also she still a serving CIA Officer and has actually been promoted since the accident.
Appreciate 3
Wills28647.00
RobUK2810.00
      06-11-2021, 01:35 PM   #77
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Whilst Biden might be sympathetic, I can't see her ever facing justice.
Appreciate 2
RobUK2810.00
mikeoz2856.00
      06-12-2021, 01:26 PM   #78
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Whilst Biden might be sympathetic, I can't see her ever facing justice.
Talk of US accepting a Video link court case....if it happens...IF then not much really will happen as what ever sentence is passed will be unenforceable...
Appreciate 0