F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > "White Spots" on Black Sapphire Metallic Paint
ARMA SPEED

04-23-2017, 03:32 PM   #1
mhauser
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 M-Sport

"White Spots" on Black Sapphire Metallic Paint

The mutual agreement with the dealer who I purchased my Black Sapphire Metallic F30 from (BMW of Bridgewater) was that they would respray my front bumper. Aside from the REDRILLING of the license plate holes which I specifically said I did not want, the paint looked really good and fresh. After washing and drying it for the first time though, I noticed the bumper had this white haze and dots riddled around the splitter and above where the fog lights would be.

I am extremely particular with my paint and it seems that an application of paint sealant can hide this problem until the car needs to be washed again. The haze goes away as well as some of the dots, but not all. I've owned this 2013 since the summer of 2016, and this is becoming extremely frustrating (I know, first world problems).

I have tried every possible solution.. clay bar, compound, polish, wax, sweat, etc. My car is almost always parked in a garage, never exposed to harsh conditions. If I have to travel long distance, I wrap my front (I don't know why at this point).

It seems whoever resprayed my bumper did a really shitty job on the clear coat. At this point I'm convinced the body shop applied a thin and uneven layer of clear on my bumper. I have read a couple posts where dealers covered peeling paint under CPO warranty, but has anyone every heard of this issue getting resolved by a dealer? The paint everywhere else on my car is immaculate, expect for the bumper... Would really like some input here, thanks

(Sorry for the iPhone quality pics)

Name:  IMG_6238.JPG
Views: 7718
Size:  339.2 KB
Name:  IMG_6877.JPG
Views: 3224
Size:  433.8 KB
Name:  IMG_3587.JPG
Views: 3788
Size:  164.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

when you received the car the bumper was prestine? and after one wash you have these white dots? I assume the pics are after you cleaned it wash and polish and wax... but it looks like the front of my car after i was driving in the winter and salt spray was kicked up against my bumper.. I can't see how these white spots can't "just appear" after a wash... it sort of looks "pitted" like it had a sand blast or something
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
a803sgo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M-SPORT (F30)

What's the miles on the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 01:43 AM   #4
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Not the best of repair jobs. Could be anything from filler being sanded down improperly to lacquer not cured in time or in dusty conditions. Whatever it is, it was rushed and or not done with the greatest of care.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
harvs43
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d X Drive

I think your dealer may have pulled an very old traders trick and actually just wiped printers ink over your bumper rather than painted it. This is why when you collected it the car looked fab but after a while and a wash its been gradually removed to reveal the true paint underneath.

The ink will (at a micro level) sit in any imperfections and hide them until that is its gone.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvs43 View Post
I think your dealer may have pulled an very old traders trick and actually just wiped printers ink over your bumper rather than painted it. This is why when you collected it the car looked fab but after a while and a wash its been gradually removed to reveal the true paint underneath.

The ink will (at a micro level) sit in any imperfections and hide them until that is its gone.
Was thinking the same thing. Or they used black pigmented wax...one good wash and it's gone. Good luck if you go back, they may claim you did it since it didn't look that way when it was delivered. If they don't help out or admit what could have happened, you know to stay away from their service dept.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Take the car to the best body shop in your area. Preferably one that specializes in painting hi-end cars. Ask them whats going on. If anyone would know, it would be someone who has been in the business for a long time and has a good reputation amongst their customers, especially drivers of Porsches, Ferrari's, etc. That's really the only way you are going to find out. Never believe your dealer.
Appreciate 0