F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > The reason the C6 scares me
GetBMWParts

02-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #89
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
In looking deeper, it looks to be pretty sketchy, as only one was made, hardly qualifies as "production".

A special car was made for the event using chassis 915.009 and an experimental eletro-magnetic fuel injection. Designed by Ottavio Fuscaldo, this system allowed the engine to peak at 5500 rpm and run on alternative fuels such as vegetable oil. The curious injection survived the entirety of the race to place 24th overall.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/1571.html
FI was tested in the C6. Not production. We have to define what we are talking about here 'firsts' or 'firsts in mass production.'
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #90
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
Alot of fan boys here..

I was talking about the stock engine. You can get over 600hp with the m3 v8 and 1000hp with the 4G63 engine in the evo. That was not my point. And most people don't mod their cars.

If chevy could "pull" more power out of that 6.2 without jeopardizing reliability, trust me they would do it.

So to you it doesn't matter how something is made as long as it gets the job done?

They did, it's called the LS9 and it goes in the production ZR1.

And no, I don't care if there are 3 blind mice under my hood. If they make 500 hp and 500 lb-ft of torque I'm happy.

Stop being so snobby bhd. BMW makes nice cars but the ZO6 is a winner in almost every arena, price, power, performance, reliability, so stop denying it.
      02-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #91
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
FI was tested in the C6. Not production. We have to define what we are talking about here 'firsts' or 'firsts in mass production.'

Concpets and "one-offs" don't matter. We're talking about putting technology in the hands of consumers. It doesn't do any good to invent something and then not be able to produce it to sell to consumers. All those things I listed were things that GM was first to market with.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #92
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Concpets and "one-offs" don't matter. We're talking about putting technology in the hands of consumers. It doesn't do any good to invent something and then not be able to produce it to sell to consumers. All those things I listed were things that GM was first to market with.
Sure it does. Look at what racing sports have done for consumer cars. It has to start somewhere. You should have been more specific when you said 'firsts'
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #93
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure it does. Look at what racing sports have done for consumer cars. It has to start somewhere. You should have been more specific when you said 'firsts'

It means nothing UNTIL it gets to the consumer, in the form of a production car.

I didn't think I needed to be more specific. Taken in context I would have thought it was pretty obvious we were talking about putting technology into production.

Quote:
If all the car makers did what chevy is doing we would get no where. In a decade BMW will most likely use a new form of technology in their engines while chevy uses what is in the BMW now.

It just seems to me that in the past 20 - 30 years, American manufacturers haven't really pushed any boundaries or made any significant impact on new technology. While the Germans, especially mercedes, come up with new shit with all their models.

There was an old saying. You wanna see whats gonna be standard in a Camary 15 years from now? Look at what Benz is offering in their cars.
I was shooting down a false statement about GM, and you came in here and jumped in the middle of it without doing a good backread.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #94
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Heres my Arsenal. I think those who bad mouth the C6 Corvette never drove in one let alone drove it themselves and some are just clinging to a particular Company Emblem like a Yankees v. Red Sox fan. (Yankees by the way). Or are flat out envious of the car. My car is Super Charged with Long tubes and a tune. It makes 610bhp and has Ludicrous Speed when you mat it. At part throttle its as tame as a pussycat. It handles with the best of them and has been reliable as anything I have owned prior. My 135 has many wonderful features also. It has a better interior than the Vette but a person doesnt buy a Corvette for a cushy Cadillac type seat. I love them both even though they're different. Both are excellent vehicles in their own way. When people bad mouth the Corvette I just smile because they dont get it and likely never will.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #95
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Heres my Arsenal. I think those who bad mouth the C6 Corvette never drove in one let alone drove it themselves and some are just clinging to a particular Company Emblem like a Yankees v. Red Sox fan. (Yankees by the way). Or are flat out envious of the car. My car is Super Charged with Long tubes and a tune. It makes 610bhp and has Ludicrous Speed when you mat it. At part throttle its as tame as a pussycat. It handles with the best of them and has been reliable as anything I have owned prior. My 135 has many wonderful features also. It has a better interior than the Vette but a person doesnt buy a Corvette for a cushy Cadillac type seat. I love them both even though they're different. Both are excellent vehicles in their own way. When people bad mouth the Corvette I just smile because they dont get it and likely never will.

thats a great combo, smooth cruising or full on terrorist assault on the road, your pick.
      02-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #96
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Whether it's a GS, Z06, or ZR1 these C6 Vettes are a force to be reckoned with. I came within a hair of picking up a Z06 before I got my M3, but the wife put a stop to it .
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #97
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
hahaaa you sir are a moron.

@ jeremey. I said american car makers haven't made progress so to prove that i posted japanese achievements also. If you're putting a heads up display in the same category as a piece of incredible engineering that is the mclaren f1 engine, then it is really pointless for me to continue this.

I'll take my words back when an american car maker can make something even close to that engine.

Oh and the seven series is on sale to a select group of people its not a concept.

Keep defending your corvette dude. Just be careful your roof doesn't fly off
nope, not me

if you cant see that the corvette is one hell of a deal and a car with serious history, engineering, an amazing engine and will stomp on most cars costing 2-5x the price.......then you are a close minded badge whore. Simple as that.
      02-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #98
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
Whether it's a GS, Z06, or ZR1 these C6 Vettes are a force to be reckoned with. I came within a hair of picking up a Z06 before I got my M3, but the wife put a stop to it .
boo to your wife on that one!!

still the M3 is an awesome car.
      02-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #99
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
nope, not me

if you cant see that the corvette is one hell of a deal and a car with serious history, engineering, an amazing engine and will stomp on most cars costing 2-5x the price.......then you are a close minded badge whore. Simple as that.
If I was a closed minded badge whore I wouldn't consider owning an evo. You and I have different views on cars. You want just speed and if there was a car that threw puddles of shit on your face but had 1000whp, you would consider it. I on the other hand like luxury as well so to me the power isn't that big of a deal. Especially since it's nothing mind blowing. Therefore I didn't get the evo.

Good day to you sir

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #100
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
If I was a closed minded badge whore I wouldn't consider owning an evo. You and I have different views on cars. You want just speed and if there was a car that threw puddles of shit on your face but had 1000whp, you would consider it. I on the other hand like luxury as well so to me the power isn't that big of a deal. Especially since it's nothing mind blowing. Therefore I didn't get the evo.

Good day to you sir
yup differnet strokes for different folks.

if you are not interested in a fast car, then an evo and a corvette should be at the bottom of your list as they probably would scare you, just as the title mentions. Brutal is a good word to describe them.
      02-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #101
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I like puppy breath.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #102
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
yup differnet strokes for different folks.

if you are not interested in a fast car, then an evo and a corvette should be at the bottom of your list as they probably would scare you, just as the title mentions. Brutal is a good word to describe them.
I am interested in a fast car. I love the looks of the evo and the interior design isn't actually half bad. But the materials and stuff just felt cheap and I know I couldn't live with it every day. I'd love to have it as a weekend car though.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #103
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
HAHA!

I went through the same thing last summer. I was trying to convince her that we should add the Z06 for a "fun" car. The X5 is what I ended up with.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #104
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
HAHA!

I went through the same thing last summer. I was trying to convince her that we should add the Z06 for a "fun" car. The X5 is what I ended up with.
lol....you lost big time on that one, sorry man.
      02-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #105
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It means nothing UNTIL it gets to the consumer, in the form of a production car.
R&D is extremely important to successful companies. Look at the Volt, the poster car for GMs rebirth and yet...nothing.

General question for all. Why do some feel so positive about GM given what has happened over the last number of years? I would think as Americans you would be mad as hell.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #106
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
R&D is extremely important to successful companies. Look at the Volt, the poster car for GMs rebirth and yet...nothing.

General question for all. Why do some feel so positive about GM given what has happened over the last number of years? I would think as Americans you would be mad as hell.

What you talking about "and yet nothing?" It's going on sale next year. You don't build a production facility overnight you know. R&D is very important, but it means nothing to the bottom line unless you follow through with it and put it into production.

I don't think I'd call this "nothing":
http://gm-volt.com/2009/06/24/exclus...ssembly-plant/

What went on at GM absolutely made me mad as hell. We watched incompetent, greedy executives and union officials rape a great American company to the point where the government had to step in and take control.

BUT...that doesn't have a damn thing to do with this debate. If you can't put that aside and take a REAL objective look at the product in question (the C6 Corvette in this case) and recognize what it's capable of compared to other cars at its price point, you should stay out of the thread or be prepared for the beating you're going to take when you voice your opinion.

This entire sidetrack we're on right now was the result of someone trying very hard to justify saying that GM had done nothing for the last 20 years, and if you honestly believe that there's no hope for you.

The situation their management got them into is a different issue for a different thread. If you can't put that aside and stick to the topic at hand, then don't post, or start another thread if you really feel the need to voice your opinion about the overall business.

Last edited by jeremyc74; 02-24-2010 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 08:29 AM   #107
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What you talking about "and yet nothing?" It's going on sale next year. You don't build a production facility overnight you know. R&D is very important, but it means nothing to the bottom line unless you follow through with it and put it into production.

I don't think I'd call this "nothing":
http://gm-volt.com/2009/06/24/exclus...ssembly-plant/
To quote you directly...
It means nothing UNTIL it gets to the consumer

Quote:
What went on at GM absolutely made me mad as hell. We watched incompetent, greedy executives and union officials rape a great American company to the point where the government had to step in and take control.

BUT...that doesn't have a damn thing to do with this debate. If you can't put that aside and take a REAL objective look at the product in question (the C6 Corvette in this case) and recognize what it's capable of compared to other cars at its price point, you should stay out of the thread or be prepared for the beating you're going to take when you voice your opinion.

This entire sidetrack we're on right now was the result of someone trying very hard to justify saying that GM had done nothing for the last 20 years, and if you honestly believe that there's no hope for you.

The situation their management got them into is a different issue for a different thread. If you can't put that aside and stick to the topic at hand, then don't post, or start another thread if you really feel the need to voice your opinion about the overall business.
No one seems to stick to the topics on these threads including yourself.

If you didn't think the question was worthy dont answer.

I never said anything negative about the C6. I actually think it is a fantastic deal given power for price.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #108
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To quote you directly...
It means nothing UNTIL it gets to the consumer

Yes, and it's VERY obvious that GM is about to put this on the lots. What exactly is your point?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #109
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:

I'm originally from the Detroit area, and I had many friends and especially friends' parents who got screwed so badly by GM that of course I'm pissed. As a corporation, they are a big FAIL.

The Volt wasn't about to happen overnight. It hasn't exactly been collecting mothballs, and it's travel time from roadgoing prototype to production model would be nothing out of the ordinary, especially for what is basically an all-new model.

GM makes good cars, and over the past 10 years or so, I'd say there's been a marked improvement across the board. Some decisions were absolutely horrid, yes, and some shitty vehicles made production only to sit on lots until the model itself was deemed absolute shit and therefore discontinued. Some great cars or concepts were cut off at the knees for who-knows-what reason.

GM's history of building cars, and building good cars, definitely must be recognized at some point. The C6 is one of the best they've ever made, given the time period of production. Comments about it handling like sht or "it's still just a Chevy" make me think the poster of those types of thoughts must be mentally handicapped.

In the meantime, our beloved 335i can't beat the wrong-wheel-drive Cobalt SS around the 'Ring..... So, when the BMW vs "other marque here" debates get going, it starts with Ring times, then drag times, then if that doesn't pan out, we pick apart the other car's interior, and then after that I guess is when the system gets to the point of poo-flinging....

I'm kind of tired of it (addressed to no one in particular but lots of people in general). There are great cars out there that don't wear the BMW badge. There are better cars. Period. If you want to make yourself feel better about your car, there are a few BMW-specific publications that you can fap to in your own bathroom, or the work bathroom if you're lucky, instead of spewing ignorant nonsense on the boards.

Back in the days when people actually spoke to eachother face-to-face, you really made sure that you did everything to not make yourself look like an idiot or moron. The internet is completely different. It's like a breeding ground for ignorance and dumb shit.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #110
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I'm originally from the Detroit area, and I had many friends and especially friends' parents who got screwed so badly by GM that of course I'm pissed. As a corporation, they are a big FAIL.

The Volt wasn't about to happen overnight. It hasn't exactly been collecting mothballs, and it's travel time from roadgoing prototype to production model would be nothing out of the ordinary, especially for what is basically an all-new model.

GM makes good cars, and over the past 10 years or so, I'd say there's been a marked improvement across the board. Some decisions were absolutely horrid, yes, and some shitty vehicles made production only to sit on lots until the model itself was deemed absolute shit and therefore discontinued. Some great cars or concepts were cut off at the knees for who-knows-what reason.

GM's history of building cars, and building good cars, definitely must be recognized at some point. The C6 is one of the best they've ever made, given the time period of production. Comments about it handling like sht or "it's still just a Chevy" make me think the poster of those types of thoughts must be mentally handicapped.

In the meantime, our beloved 335i can't beat the wrong-wheel-drive Cobalt SS around the 'Ring..... So, when the BMW vs "other marque here" debates get going, it starts with Ring times, then drag times, then if that doesn't pan out, we pick apart the other car's interior, and then after that I guess is when the system gets to the point of poo-flinging....

I'm kind of tired of it (addressed to no one in particular but lots of people in general). There are great cars out there that don't wear the BMW badge. There are better cars. Period. If you want to make yourself feel better about your car, there are a few BMW-specific publications that you can fap to in your own bathroom, or the work bathroom if you're lucky, instead of spewing ignorant nonsense on the boards.

Back in the days when people actually spoke to eachother face-to-face, you really made sure that you did everything to not make yourself look like an idiot or moron. The internet is completely different. It's like a breeding ground for ignorance and dumb shit.
A-f*@%in-men!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0