F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Drivetrain malfunction - Drive moderately
Studio RSR

02-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
UB
Private
Rep
Drives: G01

Unhappy Drivetrain malfunction - Drive moderately

So only 6 months into ownership, last Thursday arvo the car limped back to the dealer shaking and shivering like it’s missing a cylinder. I’d be lying if I said I'm not disappointed, the 328i was picked over a A4 2.0TQ thinking it will be more reliable. Prefer not have to deal with any potential DSG issues, even though I did enjoy how the Audi drove.

Still patiently waiting for an update on the situation from the service guys today. While BMW Sydney was nice enough to loan us a X1 over the weekend, we had to return it today. Apparently loan cars are hard to come by, booked out weeks in advance, so we have to arrange our own transport for a family holiday the rest of this week.

Spark plugs, fuel injectors, and petrol contamination were mentioned as potential causes of the misfiring. But the tank of petrol was down to 1/4 before the car started stuttering, so contamination seems rather unlikely.

Don’t know if anyone’s been through something similar? I really hope it’s a quick fix, or else I don’t even know why we traded in our old car that was running perfectly fine…

Last edited by UB; 02-03-2014 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

I feel your pain. My car did the same within the first 300km in the first week of ownership.

Sometimes it is as simple as restarting the car straightaway or let it sit overnight and restart. Or it may need a software update. I had my car back in about 3 days.

I would push the loan car issue with the car dealer. They have inconvenienced you because their product has, for lack of a better term, failed. It is their responsibility to make good with a loan car. Ask them if they will pay for a hire car if they can't give you a loan car. They sure as hell shouldn't just let you walk out the door to arrange your own transport.
      02-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Have seen the message come up before on mine too. However, engine off... then back on, message was gone and haven't seen it again since.

Hope they sort you out promptly. Would be interested to find out what the issue is, if you can update us after it's resolved for you
Appreciate 1
Fugly M35072.50
      02-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #4
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
I think it's absolutely disgraceful that your dealer has not put you into an equivalent car while they sort out this problem (especially if it could take three days to repair, and that you have a planned holiday).
I would be furious and would have gone directly to the dealership manager.
The dealship has taken your money. The car is still under warranty. And the "fix" could take 3 days...........It's criminal that the dealer will not give you a loan car (or a hire car), or even a used car from their stocks.
      02-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #5
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Vanos issue?
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2014, 03:32 AM   #6
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Keep us posted on the diagnosis and fix when you know more. Sorry to read your pride and joy has had a hiccup.

If you know someone with and OBD key and an app like Torque you could get them to plug it in and read the error codes directly from the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
UB
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the comments guys. I might be able to collect my car tomorrow evening *fingers crossed*. I'll be sure to let you guys know what the fault was after speaking to them and seeing what exactly is listed on the job sheet.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
beemermans
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Unbelieveable that they did not offer you a loan car to go on with!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
**ghost**
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

My f30 328i recently had very similar issues

Shuddering - very severe
Rough idle
Misfiring
Black smoke from exhaust
Stalled at lights

Got warranty work done by bmw who found it was due to fuel injector failure on cylinder 2
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
**ghost**
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Oh and if it helps i got a engine check light but no drivetrain issue display

The reliability issue has sadly put me off bmws and stopped all plans of mods as i wont want the car out of 3 yr warranty. My e90 coincidentally had misfire issues too

Not to be dramatic but ive owned 10+ cars, some of which were heavily modified and abused with high mileage... And none of them gave me any engine issues.

Say what you want about the japanese but they build them better.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #11
UB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by **ghost** View Post
My f30 328i recently had very similar issues

Shuddering - very severe
Rough idle
Misfiring
Black smoke from exhaust
Stalled at lights

Got warranty work done by bmw who found it was due to fuel injector failure on cylinder 2
Guess what guys, the fault was exactly the same as ghost's, fuel injector failure on the same cylinder. What's your built date ghost?

Not having a loan car for the full duration did cause us bit of a hiccup. I'm just happy to get the car back tho.

Starting to throw admiring looks at my neighbour's brand new Lexus IS.

Oh yeah, they also carried out a technical campaign at the same time, something about a drain.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #12
ausrallydoc
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB View Post
Oh yeah, they also carried out a technical campaign at the same time, something about a drain.
My car was in last week for it's first service. They also did the technical campaign "improvement". Apparently the drain issue relates to a potential blockage in a drain in the front guard which can lead to water ingress and flooding on the front passenger footwell.

The solution? - apparently they just remove the drain rubber to make the hole bigger!!

High-tech all the way……
      02-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #13
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 LCI M3 2015

Thanks for posting about this. I actually had the exact same error message come up TWICE within a month of each other. My local BMW dealer offered for me to go in and get it checked out but with my first service due in 2 months, I thought i'd wing it and get it all done in one hit.

Each time the car threw up the fault, it went away after restarting the car. Since the last time it occurred, it hasn't happened again. If it does before my service is due then I will definitely get it checked out.

Does anyone think I should send it back in a hurry though? If it's the same injector issue as UB and ghost, will it cause any long term problems?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 12:04 AM   #14
Chandy168
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i MG // VW Amarok

I had a post about this recently but didn't find the need to go in for a service. I wasn't in the position that ghost or UB were in, with sever shuddering, black smoke etc. But nonetheless, my heart skipped a beat when it stalled when i was going up the hill.
If it happens again, like screenshot, will defs get it checked. After paying top dollar for a prestige car, I would hope to not have such issues. I too came from japanese cars, this being my first euro, doesn't have too good an impression
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #15
pmunger
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Had the same problem on Sunday, coincidently the car was booked in for 1st service next day on Monday.
According to Service Advisor BMW are aware of the problem and working on a fix. They reset the error and all seems OK for now.

I did notice that one of the gear changes (8sp Auto) earlier in the drive was quite abrupt - I was driving gently during warm up period when it happened - half an hour later had the Drivetrain Malfunction warning.

Hopefully the sort it out soon.
      02-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #16
agnesx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

hey pmunger, when you mentioned BMW are aware of the problem... do they mention what did the problem relate to? or what causes the car to go into limp mode?

curious about this... hope it gets sorted for you soon!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #17
pmunger
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

No mention to the cause - just that BMW are working on a fix.
      03-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #18
GT1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by **ghost** View Post
Oh and if it helps i got a engine check light but no drivetrain issue display

The reliability issue has sadly put me off bmws and stopped all plans of mods as i wont want the car out of 3 yr warranty. My e90 coincidentally had misfire issues too

Not to be dramatic but ive owned 10+ cars, some of which were heavily modified and abused with high mileage... And none of them gave me any engine issues.

Say what you want about the japanese but they build them better.
You should of the bought the new Lexus IS350, much better quality car than any BMW or european car for that fact and their service level is outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #19
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1 View Post
You should of the bought the new Lexus IS350, much better quality car than any BMW or european car for that fact and their service level is outstanding.
I test drove one of those and I didn't like how it handled compared to my car at all. Any minor gremlins I've had have been easily fixed with no problem, but there's no changing how the IS drives.
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2014, 05:43 AM   #20
tgarden
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY13 328i M-Sport

I just had the same thing - drove down from Darwin to Gold Coast no worries, but a quick trip up Mt Tamborine resulted in limp home mode and an obvious miss-firing (figured it was bad fuel or water in tank originally). Car has just cracked 8,000kms.

Got flatbedded to closest dealer (covered by BMW Roadside Assist) - they called today - failed injector - no other details as yet. At least BMW set me up with a hire car - yay for base model camry's.... my back will be toast if I have to use that for the rest of the trip!

Rather frustrating as I've got another 4,000 odd kms to go on this trip and don't really want to have similar issues out west
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 06:12 AM   #21
chopshop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i M Sport Estoril Blue

just called bmw roadside assist tonight, exactly the same issue...

only done 5000km. misfiring, running rich and pumping out the black smoke, then limp mode/drivetrain malfunction.

waiting for the towtruck to come, doubt ill get the car back anytime soon given the time of year though. lets see what happens...
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #22
Aapparition90
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 lci m3 mw

Garage List
2014 bmw 328i  [0.00]
2012 bmw 328i  [0.00]
Thats sad to hear, it does not sound too bad though maybe a sensor error.