F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Greetings...
Studio RSR

04-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
MG335
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i PPK

Greetings...

Hello everyone, I've been a long term lurker. I've been planning on getting a F30 335i for around Sept 2014 since about Feb 2013!

I've currently got a Focus ST, that'll be 4 in Sept so it'll be time for change.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that's had or driven an ST to hear how they compare, especially in terms of ride compared to 19inch runflats on the F30 with adaptive.

Despite initially being set on the saloon, I'm now giving second thoughts to the touring (for practicality reasons).

Decisions, decisions, decisions... I think I'll be needing some help & advice along the way from you all, and from what I've seen you all seem a good bunch.

So, in summary, hello everyone
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Pietro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Golf

Hiya Not driven a 335i - but I have driven an ST. What a great car that is! Makes an awesome noise!!

I swayed between saloon and touring backwards and forwards, but in the end, the reduced road noise and "intimacy" of the saloon won out over the external aesthetics.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Olddriver60
Olddriver60
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F44 218i sport GC Auto

Greetings from me too,

I have also been a lurker for some time, however having taken delivery on Monday of this week of a 320i Sport in Alpine White, (standard car apart from heated seats) I finally registered.

From order to delivery took 12 weeks, 320i is a bit of a departure from previous car E82 118d SE coupe, which delivered plenty of poke + up to 60mpg when the time came to change I started off looking at the 2 series however other half decided that four doors were better so F30 it was.

As stated I have only had the car since Monday and in cognisance of its newness I have only driven it in Eco pro mode, fuel economy appears to be 38 to 40mpg for a 33 mile round trip commute each day, not bad however I am itching to try sport mode no doubt to the detriment of economy.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddriver50 View Post
Greetings from me too,

I have also been a lurker for some time, however having taken delivery on Monday of this week of a 320i Sport in Alpine White, (standard car apart from heated seats) I finally registered.

From order to delivery took 12 weeks, 320i is a bit of a departure from previous car E82 118d SE coupe, which delivered plenty of poke + up to 60mpg when the time came to change I started off looking at the 2 series however other half decided that four doors were better so F30 it was.

As stated I have only had the car since Monday and in cognisance of its newness I have only driven it in Eco pro mode, fuel economy appears to be 38 to 40mpg for a 33 mile round trip commute each day, not bad however I am itching to try sport mode no doubt to the detriment of economy.

Don't think there'd be any problem with trying 'sport' mode on the DPC once you got a couple of hundred miles or so on the clock,BMW four pots love to be revved (obviously not to the redline from new) but as long as you don't exceed two thirds of the rev range you'll be fine ( that's confirmed by BMW and I think is still printed in the vehicle handbook). Is it 6sp manual or 8sp auto? If's it manual then it's easy to control your revs up to the two thirds point, auto may be a little trickier depending on the 'box software settings for the change up points. As long as you don't keep regularly bouncing it off the limiter you'll be alright!
They seem to come much more 'alive' in sport mode, like you've just woken them up, your fuel consumption will take a bit of a hit though as you rightly suspect!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Welcome fellow (potential) 335i owner

I've never personally owned an ST however a mate has and I can assure the ride in the F30 on 19"s is much more pleasant than the ST. (And it's quicker ). The 335i also makes a great noise but in a less "chavvy" way if you see what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:31 AM   #6
MG335
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for your welcomes. My heart says saloon but I keep getting a 'touring' niggle! I still need to check out the boot space of the F30, that's my main concern with the need to cart about push chairs etc.

The ST is a great car, it never fails to put a smile on my face. I have the Mountune 260 upgrade (new intercooler/remap) which gives more poke while preserving the (now expired) manufacturer warranty.

I don't have an orange ST, but I would agree the F30 is certainly more subtle, which is what I'm after now tbh, especially as I'm most probably going for mineral grey.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:49 AM   #7
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

The saloons boot isn't bad, and if you choose the optional folding rear seats, it is surprisingly practical.

I had an ST with a dreamscience remap. Race+ was fantastic. Those pops from the 5-pot were brilliant, if very childish. I've since had a couple of cars, and waiting on my F30 for delivery. It's a very different beast, but one which you won't be disappointed.
      04-11-2014, 04:19 AM   #8
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonhead View Post
The saloons boot isn't bad, and if you choose the optional folding rear seats, it is surprisingly practical.

I had an ST with a dreamscience remap. Race+ was fantastic. Those pops from the 5-pot were brilliant, if very childish. I've since had a couple of cars, and waiting on my F30 for delivery. It's a very different beast, but one which you won't be disappointed.
You're right, the boot is actually quite big and with folding seats it's really handy. The only issue I find is the small opening that the saloon offers. Maybe I will change back to a Tourer if my dealer needs to shift one towards the end of the year???
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 05:08 AM   #9
Sneds27
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

I've gone from a long history of hatchbacks and coupe's to a (now nearly 2 week old) Touring and don't regret it for a second. I wanted a rapid 330d again having owned the coupe version 6 years ago, but with a 2nd child on it's way I thought a sensible family car would be the right choice. Now I've got a car that performance wise puts a smile on my face, is practical with the additional space for prams, baby stuff etc, and is definitely the best looking "estate" car on the market IMHO. And sorry saloon owners but I actually think the F31 is more aesthetically pleasing that the F30 *puts on tin hat"
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 05:22 AM   #10
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

The boot on the saloon is pretty cavernous IMO but as others have said, the opening can be a little bit restrictive on occasion. Sounds like your perfect motor would be the one i'm excitedly awaiting - the 4 series Gran Coupe - huge boot with a hatch opening, problem solved!

I used to have an ST2, '07 plate. Loved the burble of the engine and the exhaust note. What I didn't enjoy was an mpg in the low 20's on my commute and only upper 20's on long distance journeys. At least my 320i xDrive gives me a lot of fun in Sport mode and an average 34mpg on my commute, with 40+ achievable on longer distances. Easy to control the revs on the 8AT too IMO, get used to it the 'box is almost telepathic.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
Olddriver60
Olddriver60
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F44 218i sport GC Auto

It's a manual, Nice smooth shift, due to the dealer not having any 320i's available to test drive my first drive in an F30 was on Monday upon collecting the car adding to the anticipation, happy with my choice of colour and trim, my good lady is not a fan of leather and even heated seats would not tempt her into a Dakota leather interior, so the sports cloth interior it is, and very nice it is.

If you are thinking of a 335i the sports auto is a must. when I was ordering my car the dealer had a 335i in stock, black with the oyster and black leather interior and obviously sports auto, looked the business.
As to options the dealer should really advise on what are only the "nice to haves" and the essential stuff, however I would have thought that on a 335i the standard spec would have all the desirable stuff?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #12
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddriver50 View Post
It's a manual, Nice smooth shift, due to the dealer not having any 320i's available to test drive my first drive in an F30 was on Monday upon collecting the car adding to the anticipation, happy with my choice of colour and trim, my good lady is not a fan of leather and even heated seats would not tempt her into a Dakota leather interior, so the sports cloth interior it is, and very nice it is.

If you are thinking of a 335i the sports auto is a must. when I was ordering my car the dealer had a 335i in stock, black with the oyster and black leather interior and obviously sports auto, looked the business.
As to options the dealer should really advise on what are only the "nice to haves" and the essential stuff, however I would have thought that on a 335i the standard spec would have all the desirable stuff?
In my experience the dealers don't really know that much about the options, and tend to agree with what they think you want to hear. I had to do my own research (mainly on these forums) to find out if VSS and adaptive suspension were worth it - the answer is a huge yes IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #13
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Personally the Tourer looks better, also I very much doubt many 335i Tourers.

Options very much depend as always on budget and your must haves.

So the usual favourites are m sport plus pack, lighting pack, adaptive and HUD.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #14
MG335
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I know many people prefer the tourer and in many ways I wish I did too as it would make the decision much simpler!! I decided on almost everything else; Sports Auto, exterior colour, options, just need to decide the actual shape!

While we're at it, what is the usual length of time for a test drive? I've not actually enquired as yet, as I'm not looking for delivery until September+
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #15
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billuk View Post
I know many people prefer the tourer and in many ways I wish I did too as it would make the decision much simpler!! I decided on almost everything else; Sports Auto, exterior colour, options, just need to decide the actual shape!

While we're at it, what is the usual length of time for a test drive? I've not actually enquired as yet, as I'm not looking for delivery until September+
Minimum 2 hours, however going for 335, try for a day, see how much they want that sale of a new 335i Tourer.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #16
Torquein
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sdrive

I just dont see the tourer like most on here, it looks great yes for an estate, but its definately not in the saloons league for looks. The 4 series is the sister you wished you married though

the tourer is the sensible practical choice imo, the saloon the compromise of looks and practicality, and the coupe is the "sod the wife and kids, shes mine" choice lifes all about compromise unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #17
Torquein
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Not an f31 but sorry couldnt resist,

Name:  Hearse.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  267.5 KB

Last edited by Torquein; 04-11-2014 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #18
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquein View Post
I just dont see the tourer like most on here, it looks great yes for an estate, but its definately not in the saloons league for looks. The 4 series is the sister you wished you married though

the tourer is the sensible practical choice imo, the saloon the compromise of looks and practicality, and the coupe is the "sod the wife and kids, shes mine" choice lifes all about compromise unfortunately.
The biggest problem with the saloon apart from plain and grey looks, is it's rep magnet appeal.
Every time I see an Audi or BMW saloon I think rep or company car driver and not family or someone off out having fun.

Chances are if you have a saloon, you don't have a dog, mainly use the car for work commuting, don't own a mountain bike and check out bay sites for cheap carbon looking for performance parts.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #19
Torquein
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
The biggest problem with the saloon apart from plain and grey looks, is it's rep magnet appeal.
Every time I see an Audi or BMW saloon I think rep or company car driver and not family or someone off out having fun.

Chances are if you have a saloon, you don't have a dog, mainly use the car for work commuting, don't own a mountain bike and check out bay sites for cheap carbon looking for performance parts.

reps in my industry all carry large bits of kit, have dogs and ride bikes.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #20
General
No_Country
Rep

Burger noticed this after I posted previous.
Lol as if to underline my eBay comment lol.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971111

Hehe
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #21
Torquein
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Burger noticed this after I posted previous.
Lol as if to underline my eBay comment lol.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971111

Hehe
I thought thats why youd posted that
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #22
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquein View Post
I thought thats why youd posted that
Lol no I was making it up in first one and then found that one lol.

Actually I would have a saloon, however being a dog botherer
I need the tourer as RSPCA get fed up with me putting pup in the boot lol.

Estates / tourers tend to be more echoey inside, noise from open area.

However the BMW tourer does look good.
Appreciate 0