F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Apple CarPlay is trash
ARMA SPEED

10-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
CaroleBaskin
Big Cat Rescue
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M4CS - Lime Rock Grey

Apple CarPlay is trash

Can someone tell me why this $300 option ruins texting, social media and even loading applications like Reddit?

If I use FB Messenger, it switches to CarPlay then opens Spotify. iMessage? Will switch from my radio, load CarPlay then load Spotify.

It's starting to annoy me when I'm listening to an amazing song on Satellite Radio and then and then CarPlay loads then Spotify for everything.
      10-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #2
vp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 430GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;22328752
Can someone tell me why this $300 option ruins texting, social media and even loading applications like Reddit?

If I use FB Messenger, it switches to CarPlay then opens Spotify. iMessage? Will switch from my radio, load CarPlay then load Spotify.

It's starting to annoy me when I'm listening to an amazing song on Satellite Radio and then and then CarPlay loads then Spotify for everything.
Delete Spotify and see what happens
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #3
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGenius View Post

It stinks on my '16 Honda too. Don't blame BMW - Apple is losing its luster.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
phinole
Ridin' thru Atlanna
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport Dinan S1

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [10.00]
I recently upgraded an iPhone 7+ to iOS 11, and CarPlay now exhibits what seems to be the same annoying bug: if I'm listening to HDD music, or satellite radio, for example, and a phone call or the dictation of a text message takes place, iDrive switches to CarPlay audio immediately after the phone or text operation ends. Before upgrading to iOS 11, this did not happen. Ending a phone call would simply resume the music/audio source that was active when the call came in.

I've unpaired the phone, deleted the car from the phone's CarPlay, and it still occurs, although inconsistently. I filed feedback with Apple alerting them to the bug, and asked my salesman if there was something he knew about the problem from the BMW side - he referred me to service.

If I find a solution to this I'll be happy to share it here.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #5
CaroleBaskin
Big Cat Rescue
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M4CS - Lime Rock Grey

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

As suggested I deleted Spotify, now pandora comes on after a call or loading messenger.
      10-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #6
vp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 430GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGenius View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

As suggested I deleted Spotify, now pandora comes on after a call or loading messenger.
This probably has to do with the BMW apps (compatible apps). Go to device settings and try turn off apps and only leave telephone and Bluetooth turned on and see how it behaves.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 09:51 PM   #7
M-Sport Wagon Funnnnnnnnn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 328d M-Sport Touring

Garage List
Not happy with CarPlay either right now. This is my second attempt to use it so I can hear my podcasts and stuff but it lags and the maps are no where near as good as integrated BMW ones. I can’t use the touch pad on my iDrive controller in anything with CarPlay either.
Appreciate 0