F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
Studio RSR

12-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #67
kmall10
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 420DX

Hi I'm confused with this and it may sound stupid but what's the actual point of this box?

I jump into my car and it connects straight away via Bluetooth, I can play my Spotify wirelessly and make phone calls trough my steering wheel with no problems

There's no good videos online (that I can find anyway) showing the functions of the box and showing what it does that's better than the oem BMW system.. And from reading this thread the phone call functions don't work too well and the fronts sensors don't work at all. I know I've missed the point of what these boxes should be used for and I'm failing to understand what's the advantages but surely someone has a video or something?
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #68
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmall10 View Post
Hi I'm confused with this and it may sound stupid but what's the actual point of this box?

I jump into my car and it connects straight away via Bluetooth, I can play my Spotify wirelessly and make phone calls trough my steering wheel with no problems

There's no good videos online (that I can find anyway) showing the functions of the box and showing what it does that's better than the oem BMW system.. And from reading this thread the phone call functions don't work too well and the fronts sensors don't work at all. I know I've missed the point of what these boxes should be used for and I'm failing to understand what's the advantages but surely someone has a video or something?
The function is that it gives your Apple CarPlay or android Auto in your car. Far better integration with your phone and Spotify actually works properly unlike the temperamental BMW App. Google maps and Waze for Navigation as well.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 04:36 PM   #69
kmall10
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 420DX

ok thanks Terry Do other apps like WhatsApp and Instagram work and do you need to have your phone plugged in via aux like it says? I'm running Android 10 but would like better maps on the idrive so this might be an option
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #70
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmall10 View Post
ok thanks Terry Do other apps like WhatsApp and Instagram work and do you need to have your phone plugged in via aux like it says? I'm running Android 10 but would like better maps on the idrive so this might be an option
Please review the features listed on page 1. This is wireless. Nothing plugs into AUX, that's just the media output setting.

If you want to learn more about Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, Google and YouTube has abundant information.
That technology is present in hundreds of millions of vehicles.

Bimmertech MMI Prime videos on YouTube also specifically showcase the use of this unit.
Phone mirroring is an option with AA or CarPlay as well.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 07:30 PM   #71
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrymcg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
Sounds like you either have a defective unit or not optimized Volume settings. AUX volume in iDrive should be set to 1. And the unit volume settings should also be toned down/modified. Calls still sounding nearly HD in CarPlay for me. Anyone else having Terry's issue or is he the only one? Seems to be the only one so far.
Aux set to 1? I am up at 8 I think with the unit set to around 10. Would have to check.

So the main issue I have is that if you use the unit for calls, you cannot listen to the ID radio as you will simply not receive incoming calls.

So when I hear the callers voice - yes it is way clearer than BT, however it clips and distorts.

If I back to back ring someone from CarPlay and then BMW BT they all say the BMW BT for them is far superior. They say CarPlay isn't bad - but if you back to back them BMW is 10 times better.

Would be interested to see your settings, so:

ID Aux Vol:

Andream Box Overall Volume:

Mic Volume:

Mic OP:

Mic PGA:

Mic Delay:

AEC Quality:
Attaching the audio settings that have been working well for me, along with AUX volume at 1.
Again, I've got HK so ideal settings may differ for Hifi etc.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      12-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #72
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

I haven't played yet enough with the settings, but sometimes the OEM reverse camera while backing up goes blackout.

Could it be the pins in reference to the OEM reverse camera is to the reason?
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 10:36 PM   #73
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
I haven't played yet enough with the settings, but sometimes the OEM reverse camera while backing up goes blackout.

Assuming you are following Andream's dip switch recommendation and using OEM backup cam? How often is that happening?
If you never had this issue before install, I would double check your connections. You really need to press hard when you're inserting everything including the harnesses and unit connectors. My thumbs were sore the next day.

Tip to all: if you run into any issues, record a short video clip and send it to Andream via Aliexpress chat. That way they 100% understand your problem without the language barrier and can try to address it and/or pass along to their engineers as needed.
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2019, 12:25 AM   #74
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post

I occasionally had the same issue. Spoke to Andream and as you can see in the attached picture and they told me that in the settings>reverse I should have the following selected when using a factory camera. I assumed these settings were for their aftermarket camera. Not tried them yet though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-11-2019, 02:28 AM   #75
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Quote:
Out of interest, how is front PDC going for you?
It's not. I told them already and they requested me to make a video but I haven't had the time yet and I am unsure how to get the behavior on camera in an understandable way.

Quote:
Nothing plugs into AUX, that's just the media output setting.
I updated the first page again, as it was not clear enough apparently... ^^

Quote:
Attaching the audio settings that have been working well for me, along with AUX volume at 1.
I guess the microphone settings become useless when using BMW BT.
Did you test your settings with the integrated BT? Is 'AEC' (acoustic echo cancellation?) doing anything? Mine's per default on 1, yours is set to 2.
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2019, 02:31 AM   #76
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
Quote:
Out of interest, how is front PDC going for you?
It's not. I told them already and they requested me to make a video but I haven't had the time yet and I am unsure how to get the behavior on camera in an understandable way.

Quote:
Nothing plugs into AUX, that's just the media output setting.
I updated the first page again, as it was not clear enough apparently... ^^

Quote:
Did you test your settings with the integrated BT? Is 'AEC' (acoustic echo cancellation?) doing anything? Mine's per default on 1, yours is set to 2.
I have made them a video on the front PDC and they have looked at it. I then asked can you not write the software so that when you press the PDC button it cuts across to that screen and doesn't cut back until you reach 15mph etc. They said they cannot later the software, to which I replied "Do you not write the software" then they have never responded.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #77
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post

Not sure what you mean about testing my settings? But yes I upped it to 2 in playing around. Not sure if it's helped, but nobody has complained about an echo, and I don't hear an echo when people call me through CarPlay.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #78
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:
Assuming you are following Andream's dip switch recommendation and using OEM backup cam? How often is that happening?
If you never had this issue before install, I would double check your connections. You really need to press hard when you're inserting everything including the harnesses and unit connectors. My thumbs were sore the next day.

Tip to all: if you run into any issues, record a short video clip and send it to Andream via Aliexpress chat. That way they 100% understand your problem without the language barrier and can try to address it and/or pass along to their engineers as needed.
During installation, I hurt my hands and had sore thumbs the next day.

The issue seems to happen intermittently. I press the parking button to turn off and press it again to turn it on which then I get the video feed.

Other than pin 1 and 2, what do you have ON?

Quote:
I occasionally had the same issue. Spoke to Andream and as you can see in the attached picture and they told me that in the settings>reverse I should have the following selected when using a factory camera. I assumed these settings were for their aftermarket camera. Not tried them yet though.
The settings are matching the ones they posted. It was the default that I didn't change.

Other than pin 1 and 2, what do you have ON?
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #79
touchmynappa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i

I wonder if it's possible to take the firmware for a Carlinkit MMI and update the Andream MMI with it. The boxes looks identical at least. The Carlinkit seems to support a lot more different dip switch settings. I wonder who is the source producer of these boxes.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...644119373hdt3Y
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #80
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmynappa View Post
I wonder if it's possible to take the firmware for a Carlinkit MMI and update the Andream MMI with it. The boxes looks identical at least. The Carlinkit seems to support a lot more different dip switch settings. I wonder who is the source producer of these boxes.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...644119373hdt3Y
The picture of the dipswitch settings is the same as Andream had.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #81
touchmynappa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
The picture of the dipswitch settings is the same as Andream had.
Yeah, I saw that Andream changed the dip switch picture back to basically just using dip switch 1-2-3. I was thinking perhaps Carlinkit is the source of these boxes and their software is slightly different/later version, and that Andream did some hasty copy paste. Or maybe Carlinkit did the hasty copy paste :/

Either way, the dip switch settings in the Carlinkit link seems more reasonable since the head units differ between MY 2013-2015 and MY 2016, and the dip switches support that. So could perhaps solve the issue with the Andream reporting itself as a HU_ENTRYNAV instead of HU_NBT.

Haven't been able to find the Carlinkit firmware though, or I would try it.

Last edited by touchmynappa; 12-11-2019 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #82
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

The thing is, if you keep searching for carlinkit you will find they have different pictures of different units, so I would say if you find any firmware it could be for a completely different unit.

1 example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carlinkit-2...8-1-fkmr0&th=1

Just flick through the pictures and you will find 2 different units in the same (wireless) listing.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #83
touchmynappa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The thing is, if you keep searching for carlinkit you will find they have different pictures of different units, so I would say if you find any firmware it could be for a completely different unit.

1 example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carlinkit-2...8-1-fkmr0&th=1

Just flick through the pictures and you will find 2 different units in the same (wireless) listing.
Yeah, I was thinking of the firmware for their NBT box. I was thinking the picture of the white box is for NBT EVO (from 2017-) since it says NBT 5.0. But who knows Easily worth the $240 bricking risk though
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #84
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I suspect it's the exact same unit with the exact same firmware and the picture of the dipswitches is from a different box (older model).
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #85
touchmynappa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I suspect it's the exact same unit with the exact same firmware and the picture of the dipswitches is from a different box (older model).
Yeah that makes sense unfortunately
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #86
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Going back to that amazon link, there is 1 review where they state that carlinkit sent them a firmware update.

Might be worth putting a comment on there asking if they could send you that firmware.

Then we can do a hex compare with the ones posted on here and see if there is a difference.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #87
touchmynappa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Going back to that amazon link, there is 1 review where they state that carlinkit sent them a firmware update.

Might be worth putting a comment on there asking if they could send you that firmware.

Then we can do a hex compare with the ones posted on here and see if there is a difference.
Chatted a bit with Carlinkit AliExpress official store.

Asked if their dip switch picture is correct?
Answer: Yes.
Asked if I should then set switch 3-4-5 to OFF-ON-OFF for a 2016 1-3 series with an 8.8" screen. Which should be correct according to the dip switch picture.
Answer: No, should set 1-2-3 to ON.

So exactly like Andream then. The Carlinkit dip switch picture is incorrect. Oh well.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 09:37 PM   #88
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Quote:
I find I still need to use the BMW BT as the call quality in the Andream box using the OEM mic is very poor.
Are you referring to the call quality on your speakers or on the recipient's end? I'm surprised the quality is such an issue for you. I've noticed the call quality actually sounds better through my speakers via CarPlay than OEM Bluetooth. I haven't compared how I sound, but haven't received any complaints on the far end. Maybe it's my HK system?
I can understand wanting to be able to be able to hang up through HUD/steering wheel.
So are you connecting your phone to headunit or Andream? Assuming off of HUD comment, is it Andream that you're connected to?