F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Remove EGR cooler or keep it there?
proTUNING Freaks

08-27-2023, 08:52 AM   #1
purplehamHD
Registered
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci f30 335d mk2 S40 T5

Remove EGR cooler or keep it there?

Hi everyone

This is my first time posting here as have been a long time lurker

For awhile now I've been wanting to sort out the egr system and finally getting around to it. Have read many threads on it where people are doing different things. Some are keeping the cooler to help with coolant circulation while others are taking it out to prevent any problems down the road. The question is, which is the best option?

It could also be coded out and keep everything there although I'd rather remove egr valve / cooler than worry about it breaking further down the line.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 09:37 AM   #2
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Leave in place.

In the UK it’s a mandatory MOT fail if any of the OEM emissions control hardware is removed or tampered with.

Code-out the EGR and install a blanking plate if you want to, but leave everything looking original.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 01:02 PM   #3
purplehamHD
Registered
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci f30 335d mk2 S40 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Leave in place.

In the UK it’s a mandatory MOT fail if any of the OEM emissions control hardware is removed or tampered with.

Code-out the EGR and install a blanking plate if you want to, but leave everything looking original.
Thanks for your response.

I am not that worried about it passing an mot as I know a guy.

For engine health purposes and longevity would it be better without the cooler or with it do you know?

Would be looking at getting the darkside developments kit as its only like £65 or so and then get it mapped out at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 06:54 AM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehamHD View Post
Thanks for your response.

I am not that worried about it passing an mot as I know a guy.

For engine health purposes and longevity would it be better without the cooler or with it do you know?

Would be looking at getting the darkside developments kit as its only like £65 or so and then get it mapped out at the same time.
If car owners knowingly modify their vehicles in a way which would fail an MOT, therefore potentially invalidating their insurance, they shoulder the responsibility.

If a registered MOT tester certified a vehicle as roadworthy when they can clearly see that it should fail the test, the responsibility lies with them.

How many other vehicles have/do they certify as roadworthy when they know that they have worn dampers, inadequate brakes, failed headlights, high emissions (i.e. particulates), compromised structural components due to rust, cracked windscreens, etc ?

Dodgy MOT testers should be banned from the industry.

I’m out.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0