F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 6MT clutch and flywheel Upgrade?
Studio RSR

12-02-2017, 09:26 PM   #45
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i X Drive M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmo93 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Chicken joe, did you ever end up replacing your clutch? If so what'd you go with? And any answer to the crappy CDV?
I actually never replaced my clutch. I weirdly haven't had it slip anymore. I think it may have been something that happened when the temps outside were very hot and the tranny was also very hot and it cause the clutch to slip. It's been cooler here in STL and I have run like 8.5 gallons of E85 and dogged the Car super hard and haven't had an issue at all.
Quote:
Quote:
Chicken joe, did you ever end up replacing your clutch? If so what'd you go with? And any answer to the crappy CDV?
I actually never replaced my clutch. I weirdly haven't had it slip anymore. I think it may have been something that happened when the temps outside were very hot and the tranny was also very hot and it cause the clutch to slip. It's been cooler here in STL and I have run like 8.5 gallons of E85 and dogged the Car super hard and haven't had an issue at all.
Interesting. Glad you never had to replace it. I don't have the balls to run past map 1 on my stock clutch I just feel like I'm gonna blow it up every time!
I have run map7 on 110 race gas lol it will hold. Especially when it's cold.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. Glad you never had to replace it. I don't have the balls to run past map 1 on my stock clutch I just feel like I'm gonna blow it up every time!

Good to know. I've had my ER catless downpipe sitting in the box untouched for 8 months because I've been too much of a baby to put it in and run map 2 ???? was worried about blowing up the clutch with the increased power
I run map 5 on the regular with all mods aside form turbo and meth. Should not have any issues running map2 or 5. Tbh map1 is how the car should have come from the factory. It's not "fast" but it's wayyyyy better then what the stock tuning is and is a representation of what it should be like when you buy a turbo inline 6 Car.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good to know. I've had my ER catless downpipe sitting in the box untouched for 8 months because I've been too much of a baby to put it in and run map 2 ???? was worried about blowing up the clutch with the increased power
I run map 5 on the regular with all mods aside form turbo and meth. Should not have any issues running map2 or 5. Tbh map1 is how the car should have come from the factory. It's not "fast" but it's wayyyyy better then what the stock tuning is and is a representation of what it should be like when you buy a turbo inline 6 Car.

Yeah probably gonna put it on in the spring. It's funny cause I have everything but the downpipe on. Intercooler charge pipe and etc. I just read on the forums that even map 1 is pushing the limits on the stock clutch that's why I was hesitant
      12-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #46
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i X Drive M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What do you need to run E85? Can I just throw it in the car with a stick fuel system?
      12-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #47
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What do you need to run E85? Can I just throw it in the car with a stick fuel system?
If you ha e flex fuel wires you. An run it. Just start out with small amounts and hen work you way up in volume. If you are PWG like I am then you can run more E85. I have used up to 9 gallons before lol. Some cars like it and some don't
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 01:32 AM   #48
13blk335ix
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 N55 335ix 6mt

Garage List
2013 BMW 335ix  [0.00]
Been having this issue since i installed bootmod3. 2013 pwg 6mt n55. When down shifting on highway going any speed then flooring it i get a stutter or hesitation. I have done the run around trying to get it fixed. Bm3 looked at my logs and said the hpfp is taking a dive.
Mods er cp, wagner evo 2 comp intercooler, afe drop in (soon to be MST) wagner catless dp, res delete, ngk plugs gapped at .018 bm3 stage 2 e30 tune. Been happening since stage 1. Was told it was ignition coils and it still occured. Car has 75k miles. Others have drove my car and they beleive it to be clutch slip. It happens anywhere between 3k to 5k (when in boost) the car did this on 93 octane as well so its not fuel related.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #49
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13blk335ix View Post
Been having this issue since i installed bootmod3. 2013 pwg 6mt n55. When down shifting on highway going any speed then flooring it i get a stutter or hesitation. I have done the run around trying to get it fixed. Bm3 looked at my logs and said the hpfp is taking a dive.
Mods er cp, wagner evo 2 comp intercooler, afe drop in (soon to be MST) wagner catless dp, res delete, ngk plugs gapped at .018 bm3 stage 2 e30 tune. Been happening since stage 1. Was told it was ignition coils and it still occured. Car has 75k miles. Others have drove my car and they beleive it to be clutch slip. It happens anywhere between 3k to 5k (when in boost) the car did this on 93 octane as well so its not fuel related.
There is a known issue with the transfer case if you're xdrive that causes hesitation.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 05:36 AM   #50
13blk335ix
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 N55 335ix 6mt

Garage List
2013 BMW 335ix  [0.00]
yes i am x drive i will look into transfer case. if xdelete comes out for f30 hopefully it will fix issue. thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 09:59 PM   #51
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bronze Metallic 335i

Just get a 335is clutch from fcp euro holds way more than stock and has a lifetime warranty.
      06-19-2019, 10:40 AM   #52
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52172 View Post
Just get a 335is clutch from fcp euro holds way more than stock and has a lifetime warranty.
I needed up getting a spec stage 2 + spec style and a spec style oem flywheel
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #53
EBII335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport EBII

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52172 View Post
I needed up getting a spec stage 2 + spec style and a spec style oem flywheel
Chicken_Joe, did you install the Spec 2+? Curious to hear how you like it compared to stock? I'm getting ready to do clutch at 75k miles and trying to decide.
      10-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #54
ryantpayton
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i xDrive Rhodonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
Like I said....if it's not slipping in 4th when you are WOT, its not your clutch, its our stupid CDV.
Shift to 4th, cruise at 2k, then WOT it. At peak torque around 3k-4k and youre not slipping its not the clutch.

We just need lines made and use the old metal E9x slaves you can still find online.

Also ChickenJoe, can you share who did a successful CDV here?
Hey so I tested this out verbatim and when I go WOT the RPMs rise a few thousand and then drop back down and then I get all the power.

Would this be a slipping clutch?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #55
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantpayton View Post
Hey so I tested this out verbatim and when I go WOT the RPMs rise a few thousand and then drop back down and then I get all the power.

Would this be a slipping clutch?
Sounds exactly like it, yes. The clutch will slip in higher gears under high load situation when at peak torque.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #56
ryantpayton
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i xDrive Rhodonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Sounds exactly like it, yes. The clutch will slip in higher gears under high load situation when at peak torque.
It does it in almost all gears though
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #57
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Well the worse it gets, the more it will impact lower gears. A slipping clutch is pretty distinct... If your RPM shoots up disproportionately to speed gain, you are either spinning or the clutch is slipping. There is also a distinct odor when you slip a clutch a lot.

Miles on the car? Mods/tune?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 10:16 PM   #58
Tchao
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: E30, E82, F30, F87

Quote:
Clutch slip is much more noticeable in higher gears like 4th or 5th because you are very unlikely to spin the tires (unless you have 800+ HP)

But clutch slip can happen in lower gears if you have good tires.

Higher gears = more load against the engine (less mechanical advantage)
      10-29-2019, 10:44 AM   #59
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Model S P100D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII335 View Post
Chicken_Joe, did you install the Spec 2+? Curious to hear how you like it compared to stock? I'm getting ready to do clutch at 75k miles and trying to decide.
I have the stage 2+ with a LuK oem dmf. I've driven it for a few thousand km now and it's running great. I live in a fairly trafficy area so I haven't really put it through its paces yet with some hard launches but it definitely grabs way better than the old one.
Appreciate 1
EBII33533.50
      10-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #60
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Best way to find clutch slip is under heavy load. With a low RPM, heavy load and big torque that's when it should start slipping first.

Start with 4th gear, 40 MPH, WOT (Wide Open Throttle). If it doesn't slip there it probably won't slip anywhere else.

Spec 2+ Clutch Kit has been a popular upgrade for the F30 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #61
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I ended up going with Spec Stage 2+ which is a bit aggressive for the regular commute but RaCe KoR so whatever. My biggest gripe is i went both spec style mounting with an OEM style flywheel and the clutch. they chatter like a sumbihh and I cant stand it
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 09:59 PM   #62
cjlane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

I have the spec stage 2+ with their steel SMFW and I personally do not think the chatter is too bad. I do a bit of city driving and the clutch feel is really good and too stiff.
2014 F30 335i xDrive 6MT - Pure Stage 2 GFB DV / Inlet | XDI-35 HPFP | Fuel-It PI w/ AIC and LPFP Upgrade | BM3 | Fabspeed Catted DP | Dinan axle back | VRSF Race FMIC/CP | Dinan CAI | KW V3 | Wiechers CF strut bar | Dinan ARB | Spec stage 2+ clutch SMFW | Full M Performance Interior | M Performance BBK | Vorsteiner VFF107 MPS4S | Jordan Tuned Full E85 - 558WHP/520TQ on Mustang Dyno
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:37 PM   #63
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlane View Post
I have the spec stage 2+ with their steel SMFW and I personally do not think the chatter is too bad. I do a bit of city driving and the clutch feel is really good and too stiff.
No it's pretty bad lol if you have the spec style flywheel and clutch that thing just rattles like crazy.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 11:01 PM   #64
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Quote:
No it's pretty bad lol if you have the spec style flywheel and clutch that thing just rattles like crazy.
and when people say to just hold the clutch in to make the chatter stop, isn't that bad for your throwout bearing? or does the CDV or something prevent that from really being an issue.. cars with a DMFW sound terrible going lightweight.. I wonder if they make a lighter DMFW, still dampens but less weight..
      11-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #65
cjlane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

I have the spec clutch and spec flywheel and the chatter really does not bother me much. I usually have some music on and cannot hear the noise. I also leave the auto start / stop on so stopped at light there is usally nothing to hear anyway.

Yes, holding in the clutch will accelerate wear to the throwout bearing.
2014 F30 335i xDrive 6MT - Pure Stage 2 GFB DV / Inlet | XDI-35 HPFP | Fuel-It PI w/ AIC and LPFP Upgrade | BM3 | Fabspeed Catted DP | Dinan axle back | VRSF Race FMIC/CP | Dinan CAI | KW V3 | Wiechers CF strut bar | Dinan ARB | Spec stage 2+ clutch SMFW | Full M Performance Interior | M Performance BBK | Vorsteiner VFF107 MPS4S | Jordan Tuned Full E85 - 558WHP/520TQ on Mustang Dyno
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #66
geo335
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i

Quote:
I have the spec clutch and spec flywheel and the chatter really does not bother me much. I usually have some music on and cannot hear the noise. I also leave the auto start / stop on so stopped at light there is usally nothing to hear anyway.

Yes, holding in the clutch will accelerate wear to the throwout bearing.

Hello guys

f30 335i 2013 6MT 68k miles on it

upgraded chargepipe, bms intake MHD stg1
It was good, we did mhd stg2
Run 2 weeks and clutch started slipping, flywheel had 5-10% down in middle then outta circle

I repaired clutch and stocked car back now it goes normal

Im planning to go up again

Please tell me how can i upgrade it to ride 400whp+ ?
Give me some cheap variants please. Im outside USA

Also my car after getting back to stock has some missfires

on cold start from seconds to minute it has missfires on random cylindres, if i press gas pedal it may hit so hard it can shut down. but after its done after it car runs without problem. coils good sparks good tmap map sensors good.

I replaced spark plugs to bosch, all diagnostics run good nothing wrong.

I read on forum someone had exactly same problem and said that battery fixed it. sounds weird but ...

Also
Appreciate 0