F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Camera system malfunction
GetBMWParts

02-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
thatkidbrian
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i X-Drive

Angry Camera system malfunction

Hello everyone had A issue with my side view cameras a couple weeks ago took it to the dealership and was told i needed a new battery and that the cameras needed to be cleaned and reinitialized.

Before evening taking the car to the dealership a little research made me discover that this seems to be a common issue due to the weather causing the wire harness to expanded and let moister in or the camera's them self getting moisture inside. Brushed off the battery needing to get changed as the car showed no sings of needing a new battery and went ahead with the cleaning and reinitializing. 2 weeks later the issue has come back again and this time it seems to be isolated to the front driver side camera, my question is has anyone had similar issues and if so what dealership did you go to and what was the outcome.

2014 335i xdrive performance pack 1&2

IG @simsimma335i
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
Boost75
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435I M sport X drive

Hey, had the same issue happen to me on my 2014 435i.
Luckily this was my last service before days before warranty ended.
Actually went twice, I guess the first time they tried without replacing the camera. a few days later problem came back, drivers side, second time was replaced. been one almost one year after with no problems.
Autohaus service center elgin mills.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
Jeff_335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Had the same issue on my 335i, dealer change both cameras and harness. The first one was covered under standard 4yr/80k warranty and second one under extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 01:16 AM   #4
thatkidbrian
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i X-Drive

Update: dealer (will not disclose name) claims it is corrisiion and apparently isn’t covered under warranty and will not replace it. Telling me it’s a 3k parts and labour job for 2 front cameras and harness. Upon first visit I was told my battery needed replacement. After second visit they claimed it had to get changed in order to go forward. Changed battery and am now left in this position stated above. Should I go to another dealer and explain what happened ? Or just go in and see if they find and will fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 08:06 AM   #5
giddyup69
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidbrian View Post
Update: dealer (will not disclose name) claims it is corrisiion and apparently isn’t covered under warranty and will not replace it. Telling me it’s a 3k parts and labour job for 2 front cameras and harness. Upon first visit I was told my battery needed replacement. After second visit they claimed it had to get changed in order to go forward. Changed battery and am now left in this position stated above. Should I go to another dealer and explain what happened ? Or just go in and see if they find and will fix the issue.
Did you ever get this resolved? Have also been having problems ever since this winter. Seems when it's wet/snowy outside, the cameras malfunction (specifically my drivers's side). Usually, they come back after it's been dry a few days. But this time my driver side camera seems pooched.

I just changed over my tires this weekend and opened up the driver front wheel well. Pulled the camera out and opened it up. Everything seemed clean and dry including the connecting wire (no corrosion or dirt, not even a hint of moisture getting in). Dealership has quoted $780 just for the camera and I believe it was $5xx for the wire, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Has anyone else attempted to fix this? Am curious where the wire traces back to? perhaps there is another control module that is taking in moisture because I don't see any issues at the camera location unless the hardware has failed on the camera itself. I tried tracing the wire a bit more but couldn't really see if it terminated anywhere close by and didn't feel like spending more time then needed taking apart the wheel well.

If the camera was more reasonably priced I wouldn't mind trying to replace it as it is an easy spot to pull. But at that crazy price I would hate to hook it up and then find out it's something else.