F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter tires, smaller or not?
GetBMWParts

12-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #23
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

While many people believe that Hakkapelita are the best (Les Schwab is probably the best retailer for them btw), Bridgestone Blizzak and Michelin xIce are probably just as good.

Consider non-studded tires - check the reviews, they don't really improve traction in most conditions.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #24
nbt
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 f36 430i MPacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
While many people believe that Hakkapelita are the best (Les Schwab is probably the best retailer for them btw), Bridgestone Blizzak and Michelin xIce are probably just as good.

Consider non-studded tires - check the reviews, they don't really improve traction in most conditions.
Hey guys

I have a question:

I have style 400 with 8J in front and 8.5J on the rear. Can i use same 225/45/R18 on the front and on the rear? Thoose are winter tires. Has anyone did that?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #25
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettanthony83 View Post
I've got a question regarding winter tires. My summer tires are 225/45R18 and I just put a set of winters on new rims which are 225/45R17. I understand I'm going to have some inaccuracies with my speedometer but I'm more concerned if there will be a negative effect on my xdrive with the smaller wheels or even my traction control? All 4 tires are the same size.
Zero effect on xdrive or traction control if you have a square setup where all four tires are the same.

Only issue with xdrive is if you have staggered tires where rear tires are different than the front. It has to do with the actual measured diameters between the front tire and rear tire are supposed to be within 1% of each other or it can mess up the xdrive transfer case.

Do NOT go by the size stamped on the tire sidewall to calculate tire diameter. They are NOT accurate. TireRack measures each model tire and lists the measured diameter in the specifications tab of each tire on their website. Again this only matters with a staggered setup. No worries if you have a square setup with all four tires the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #26
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragosv6 View Post
Quote:

Hey guys

I have a question:

I have style 400 with 8J in front and 8.5J on the rear. Can i use same 225/45/R18 on the front and on the rear? Thoose are winter tires. Has anyone did that?

Thanks
Usually that is no problem. To verify just look up the range of wheel widths for the exact model and size tire. I believe the tire model that I use in 225/45-18 say that they will mount on wheels ranging from 7.5-8.5" so the would fit on both the 8.0" and the 8.5" wheels. You should find that information on the tire manufacturers website or from the tire retailer.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #27
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragosv6 View Post
Quote:

Hey guys

I have a question:

Thanks
Have the same setup. So I went with 255 on the rear for Winter. 6 years now with 255 rear also in Winter. 95% of the time the road is free of snow.
But still had some rides up to the ski area.

Why would you want to go smaller in Winter than in Summer?

Only thing to know. No snow chains possible with 255 rear.
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0