F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Unknown part in M Sport steering wheel
Extreme Powerhouse

11-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
speedman31
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D 258 M Sport F31

Garage List
2014 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Unknown part in M Sport steering wheel

Hi all,

I'm new on this forum, it's a great source of information for my F31 !

My first question concern my M Sport steering wheel. I've recently updated it for the same model already equipped with the paddles (found a used model in Germany), compare to my original one, the received model does not contain a particular piece located the rear side of the steering wheel : a sort of steel disk, just maintained on the steering wheel corp with 4 plastic "plugs", visible in orange color in the picture attached. I don't understand the role of this piece ?
Is anybody know what is this piece?

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
speedman31
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Thank you for your response. I don't think this plate have a link with the Airbag, because the airbag is fixed on the front side of the steering wheel, and this plate is on the rear side of the steering wheel.
I have discover this plate on my original steering wheel after installation of the new one, and my airbag was in place without this plate, and the horn was OK too, that's the reason why i really don't understand the purpose of this piece.

Perhaps it will be more clear with this photo of my original steering wheel without this strange plate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman31 View Post
Thank you for your response. I don't think this plate have a link with the Airbag, because the airbag is fixed on the front side of the steering wheel, and this plate is on the rear side of the steering wheel.
I have discover this plate on my original steering wheel after installation of the new one, and my airbag was in place without this plate, and the horn was OK too, that's the reason why i really don't understand the purpose of this piece.

Perhaps it will be more clear with this photo of my original steering wheel without this strange plate.
If it works, does it matter?

Probably a redesign.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
speedman31
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 330d  [0.00]
No matter, you've right, it's just for satisfying my curiosity
More seriously, there are not many unnecessary parts in a car, and it caught my attention, not knowing if this part could cause a system to malfunction in case of absence.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
speedman31
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Hi,

I have posted a question to KIES Motorsport, and here is the response for my unknown part :
"Fabrice,

This is most likely the spot for the vibration feature that is offered on some vehicles.

Thanks,

Chris"

That's the real purpose of this part i suppose, my original steering wheel was mounted with this part without the vibrating option....so strange, but it's like that...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman31 View Post
Hi,

I have posted a question to KIES Motorsport, and here is the response for my unknown part :
"Fabrice,

This is most likely the spot for the vibration feature that is offered on some vehicles.

Thanks,

Chris"

That's the real purpose of this part i suppose, my original steering wheel was mounted with this part without the vibrating option....so strange, but it's like that...
Nice response....but 100% incorrect.

Vibration Actuator is always mounted on spoke.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61620.50