F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Stupid prices for normal stuff *the price of a wool hat*
proTUNING Freaks

01-21-2022, 05:46 AM   #23
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post
I don't see him much but to be fair to him he does seem to wear them all regularly. I suppose it's like some other luxury items, they appear to hold their value pretty well if you ever want to sell them on, so overall cost of ownership is maybe not as much as you think.
Do people sell clothes? I run my daughters down to the charity shop every once in a while when the heaving wardrobe becomes too much for her to cope with....sure they appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 05:54 AM   #24
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

Almost everything I own would only be worth going to the charity shop, but yes I believe genuine Canada Goose etc command good money if in decent condition. I did sell a very lightly used North Face gilet on eBay a while ago, I was surprised it made more than I paid for it new, apparently the new stuff is not so good quality as the older gear.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18756.00
      01-21-2022, 07:21 AM   #25
GOF_430d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 430d convertible

Saltyamigo, I too have a wardrobe full of cheap jackets. My problem is that I normally have jackets on the back seat of my car to cover most weather conditions [not including the hi viz coat in the boot] and then we take the wife's car and I need to choose just one jacket. Cue quick purchase of another jacket to add to the collection.

The worst trip I can make is to the South coast in Summer and it rains..
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2022, 07:46 AM   #26
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
We are dealing with 15-17 year old kids every day who are robbed of their Canada Goose jackets.

I know we shouldn't victim blame but giving your kid 800-1200 quid jackets when you live in a shit area Is asking for trouble.
I think we can all say at some point we've had a jacket nicked (erm mislaid?) from a pub or club so in that respect the value is irrelevant to the crime. However, taking a CD jacket, which you will have to take off due to the warmth is well, like leaving a grand in cash on table when you go to the toilet. It's going to get taken.
Sadly Canada Goose jackets are now very specifically targeted by gangs because they know the worth. People get robbed and left with phones/wallets and just have the coat nicked.
Also a CG coat is quite quickly identifiable which makes it easier for s***s to find their victims
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:53 AM   #27
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

I'd never heard of Moncler so Googled it and this jacket appeared:
12MILMIL12 WOOL DOWN JACKET
£8,495.00

I thought that was outrageous until I learned that postage was included.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2022, 08:04 AM   #28
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Daughter has just spent £750 on some Jimmy Choo shoes (well £650 as she got cash back through a web site and some discount), I'd be scared to wear them at that price. I'd moan at having to spend £750 for shoes for my car to be honest!
Is this the same daughter who I recall you mentioning a couple of years ago was struggling to afford to buy a house...

To be fair, I guess on this forum we're all guilty of buying unnecessary stuff
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2022, 08:14 AM   #29
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Is this the same daughter who I recall you mentioning a couple of years ago was struggling to afford to buy a house...

That's a little unfair, everyone is permitted an indulgence or two, even if you're saving for something big like a property
      01-21-2022, 08:18 AM   #30
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

2 years is a long time, now has 100k equity and a hubby on 6 figure salary (and a higher rate taxpayer herself if she did 5 days instead of 4...)
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      01-21-2022, 08:38 AM   #31
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post
Almost everything I own would only be worth going to the charity shop, but yes I believe genuine Canada Goose etc command good money if in decent condition. I did sell a very lightly used North Face gilet on eBay a while ago, I was surprised it made more than I paid for it new, apparently the new stuff is not so good quality as the older gear.
North Face stuff is all overpriced fashion junk now, none of the guys I climb with would touch it, even the ones who thought it the best stuff there was for many years. It's a shame but then I guess fashion makes a lot more money than some scongy dirtbag climbers.

I just can't get over how much people spend on clothes. Of course this is totally their choice I hasten to add, I'm not judging, but man, the price! I baulked at spending £150 on an insulated windproof for winter climbing before Christmas and thought £300 for a pair of Gore Tex Pro winter climbing trousers even more ludicrous. But at least I can justify it to myself because it makes days out a lot more pleasant. For non-activity stuff? Bare minimum for me I'm afraid although I also don't go with fast fashion either as I tend to just buy well made stuff that'll last a decent amount of time. I just don't get the desire to spend all your money on looking like you have money, only to have to change it every year or two once something is no longer the latest fashion.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:52 AM   #32
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
For non-activity stuff? Bare minimum for me I'm afraid although I also don't go with fast fashion either as I tend to just buy well made stuff that'll last a decent amount of time. I just don't get the desire to spend all your money on looking like you have money, only to have to change it every year or two once something is no longer the latest fashion.
I'd ike to say I agreed with that (and for clothes I do) and then I look at my car history and think maybe buying some ovepriced clothes would be a cheaper option than where I do waste money.....
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:07 AM   #33
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post
That's a little unfair, everyone is permitted an indulgence or two, even if you're saving for something big like a property
Very true. I can't imagine spending anything like that much on fashion (as anyone who has seen how I dress will observe), but I do have other vices.

We can still mock each other a little though!
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18756.00
SuperHamz742.00
      01-21-2022, 09:11 AM   #34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

As a young lad I had a few YSL going out shirts etc but now I just buy what I like and that is generally not expensive. I have also recently discovered Amazon's own brand jeans at less that 30 quid and fit better than my Levis (which I have all had for years) so I ordered a few pairs and that will do me for years again!

I really do not get things like t shirts for over 100 just because it has a brand on it. In fact I baulk at paying more than 20 quid for one.

I do have quite a few suits that haven't seen the light of day for a while as many I suspect and can't see it changing anytime soon.

As for that hat just crazy baring in mind it must of cost a fiver to make if that.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:19 AM   #35
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

I do like the Canada Goose jackets and if I lived in Canada and had to regularly deal with -15 or -25C conditions I'd get one. But seeing dickhead kids wearing them as a fashion statement looking a little bit hot when it's 13C is just amusing. A little like seeing supercars on Kensington high street, it's the right kit in the wrong setting.
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      01-21-2022, 09:27 AM   #36
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Very true. I can't imagine spending anything like that much on fashion (as anyone who has seen how I dress will observe), but I do have other vices.

And oneself. If you cant laugh at yourself you shouldnt laugh at others, same as if you cant take a bit of ribbing, dont dish out the insults.....

Now I reckon with an economic crisis coming no one should be dishing cash on any major purchases until the shit storm has passed. But I might buy 3 new cars....

Last edited by isleaiw1; 01-21-2022 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 2
JD64270.50
Ennoch2257.00
      01-21-2022, 10:04 AM   #37
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Quote:

Just think car parts...I bought an AC Schnitzer exhaust recently. I really can't complain if someone's spending £650 on shoes!
      01-21-2022, 10:37 AM   #38
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post
Quote:

Just think car parts...I bought an AC Schnitzer exhaust recently. I really can't complain if someone's spending £650 on shoes!
What gets me is when it's £650 on crap shoes.
I've got a pair of Gucci black 'work' shoes, they weren't cheap. I've also got lots of decent shoes like Church's, Crockett&Jones, higher end Barkers/Ferragamos etc while ago was having them all polished by a chap in London who does a far better job than I ever could, and I asked him about the Gucci pair vs the others (considering price wise they were similar), he bit his tongue for a bit and then said, leather on the Gucci's and the construction was rubbish and whereas the others would essentially last half a lifetime, they would basically last until the next season.
If I was spending £650 on shoes I'd expect them not only to look good, but be constructed to last too!

I think Canada Goose coats are at least fantastic quality so yes might be a £1k but you'll never have to buy another, whereas some of the other stuff (probably like the beanie) is just a rip off.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 11:38 AM   #39
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

An interesting thread, really...

I guess where I sit in all this is that I can see the benefit of spending significant sums of money on functional items but not particularly decorative ones (in the sense of fashion, I mean, as I would leave out things like art from that)...

In my second career I have spent more in a week on items that have been tools for me than many would imagine spending on similar items in their lifetime... and I wore things out... things that would likely last a casual user a lifetime, I would get through in a couple of years, maybe quicker... plus, I would damage stuff etc etc... but all that stuff was bought as tools to allow me to carry out my assignments/tasks... I would trade the old stuff in for new...

So these coats, as far as I can see reading up on their website, started life as the professional's choice but have now become more of a fashion brand... which begs the question as to how much of your £1,000 is there because of the brand... If it were made with a "no name" to same specs, how much would it retail for...?

In professional usage terms, I lot of what I was buying for work use I never saw used by other folk except a) other pros and b) extremely wealthy people... people who really did not need the pro-level gear but bought it just because they could (the pro am stuff would easily fulfil their needs as the pro gear is mostly about greater robustness these days rather than performance) ... Now, I actually see the wealthy folk using more expensive items than the pros, as that stuff has even outpaced the professional user in many instances...

A good example would be people who buy a professional drill for occasional hanging up of pictures in their house... they don't need it, just buy it because it is perceived to be "better"...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 11:46 AM   #40
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

You are right DaveA.
The same thing without the label is a fraction of the cost.

It's actually ironic that this has come up because I am contemplating spending a ludicrous amount on these..........

https://www.sothebys.com/nikexLV

Not because I am some fashion whore but because of the resale value they will have.

I have no interest in these things but watching how my wife has sold some of the handbags she has at a silly profit has made me take these particular trainers seriously.

It's funny how certain pieces can turn into investments.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 01:00 PM   #41
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
You are right DaveA.
The same thing without the label is a fraction of the cost.

It's actually ironic that this has come up because I am contemplating spending a ludicrous amount on these..........

https://www.sothebys.com/nikexLV

Not because I am some fashion whore but because of the resale value they will have.

I have no interest in these things but watching how my wife has sold some of the handbags she has at a silly profit has made me take these particular trainers seriously.

It's funny how certain pieces can turn into investments.
What's the expected resale value out of interest?
At least the money is going to charity though!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 01:07 PM   #42
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
What's the expected resale value out of interest?
At least the money is going to charity though!
Because of the very limited numbers and the fact they were some of the last work the designer did before he passed away I think easily in excess of £25k.

I'm willing to take a £10k to £15k shot.

The guide price is between £3k to £11k.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 01:14 PM   #43
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
Because of the very limited numbers and the fact they were some of the last work the designer did before he passed away I think easily in excess of £25k.

I'm willing to take a £10k to £15k shot.

The guide price is between £3k to £11k.
That's so old school to buy an actual thing. You should spend 10 times that amount on an NFT picture of the trainers instead, like the rich kids do.
Appreciate 2
G50951.50
F30Andy1771.00
      01-21-2022, 02:03 PM   #44
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

I think it's a bit unfair. We all have our indulgences, many on here won't think twice on spending £40/50/60k on a car, and maybe £10/20k on a watch. In reality what difference is it? None. As long as someone isn't buying something they can't afford then it's their choice. But people don't need to moan when they can't afford a house but walk around in a Canada Goose coat.

Coming from a guy who drives a Porsche and wears £10 Primark jeans
Appreciate 0