F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F30 Tie rod ends replacement
Extreme Powerhouse

01-08-2022, 12:14 PM   #1
lakm
Rep
Drives: f30

F30 Tie rod ends replacement

Hey guys,

Passed the MOT but got an advisory:

-Nearside Front Track rod end ball joint dust cover damaged or deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt Slight mist of grease - no free play. (2.1.3 (g) (i))
-Offside Front Track rod end ball joint dust cover damaged or deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt Slight mist of grease - no free play. (2.1.3 (g) (i))

BMW want £270 for each to replace. Was a bit skeptical as car only done 50k miles so wondering if anyone else had this also? I'm guessing it's just the rod ends needs replacing, not the whole tie rod assembly.

Found these and I think someone said they're OEM. Would this be sufficient or would I have to purchase a whole tie rod assembly?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171376702197

Also they want £190 for KDS alignment lol.

Thanks!

Last edited by lakm; 01-08-2022 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 02:18 PM   #2
tj_g
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

I’ve not researched track rod ends (yet) but have done so with most of the other suspension components as mines a 2013 @ 92k - upper and lower control arms, rear control arms etc.

I did a quick search on AUTODOC and the ones for my car (F31 330d X) show up the same as the ones you posted, so yes I reckon that’s what you need.
Others may have actual experience with them.

For my other parts I’ve either gone for Meyle, Lemförder or Febi Bilstein.
I’m not sure exactly who manufactures the OEM parts but I also understand that Meyle are one of the OEM’s, and also Lemförder, not sure about Febi but I understand they are good quality.

Anyway - AUTODOC is often 40% off, and at £46.77ea pre discount you could get these slightly cheaper but not a lot in it

Alignment does sound exxy. Do you know a decent Indy local to you? Id certainly go Indy for this kind of thing, even if I was keeping the FBMWSH for the services.

Last edited by tj_g; 01-08-2022 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
lakm2.50
      01-09-2022, 11:07 AM   #3
lakm
Rep
Drives: f30

Cheers

Yeh sounds easy enough. I just do servicing, all other work is done through indys. Not paying £500+ for two small items at stealers. Guessing its an hour or two labour plus 70 odd quid for the rod ends. My question was whether the rod end itself is OK to replace or would I need to purchase the whole assembly. It's sold in separate parts anyway so I guess its doable.

Yeh I'm local to Bristol so may take it to FCM for alignment.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 02:57 AM   #4
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakm View Post
Cheers

Yeh sounds easy enough. I just do servicing, all other work is done through indys. Not paying £500+ for two small items at stealers. Guessing its an hour or two labour plus 70 odd quid for the rod ends. My question was whether the rod end itself is OK to replace or would I need to purchase the whole assembly. It's sold in separate parts anyway so I guess its doable.

I once had to replace both inner and outer tie rods but only because they had seized, but that was on a car with 150k miles on, so you ought to be able to change only the outer tie rods on your sort of mileage.
      01-15-2022, 12:48 AM   #5
elbutio
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F31 & 330d E91

They're the bits to buy. Should be very straight forward, count the turns when you take them off and put back on the same. cheap balljoint splitter. Just doing the inner tie rod that attach to the steering rack (snapped -dont ask!)
Appreciate 1
lakm2.50
      01-15-2022, 05:05 AM   #6
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakm View Post
Cheers

I was going to say, BMW charge £100ish (Dick Lovett) for alignment. Probably only need the front doing, FCM will sort you out and doubt they'd charge half that if it's just lining the track rod ends.
Appreciate 1
lakm2.50