F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330d stolen overnight
GetBMWParts

02-06-2016, 09:02 AM   #243
stu14t
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 330i MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu14t View Post
No, unfortunately doesn't help the OP here.

But I will experiment with my car to see if "GPS Location Services" can be hidden in the iDrive but still work. Maybe, maybe not, worth a go.
Ok, here's a quick update on my mission with the coding.

Those settings do nothing at all. They don't remove or add anything to the iDrive whatsoever.

It might not be the best news but I said i'd try an see what happens.

To let everyone else know I found a setting,using ESys, called SVR or Stolen Vehicle recovery. It wasn't hard to find, a simple search term of "Stolen" within Esys and the correct module. It showed some parameters which made it appear it could be switched off, or coded out very simply. There was also a setting to allow the SVR to appear in ConnectedDrive and there was also a setting to remove GPS tracking from the Settings on the iDrive, so it couldn't be simply turned off by a would be thief with basic know-how.

I switched off the "Show Assist GPS Tracking" with ESys - It did nothing.

I switched on "Show Stolen Vehicle Recovery in IDrive" - it did nothing.

Based on the above, There's a strong possibility the attempting to switch off SVR with ESys will not do anything,

If it does anything in the first place as this could all be country or variant dependant.

I said I'd try and that's what happened.
Gone - 2012 F30 320 ED
Gone - 2011 E87 118d
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #244
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

So it's over 4 days since my car was pinched. I have heard nothing so far from BMW or the Police. The car could be anywhere in Europe now. I am not even sure I want it back now - heaven knows what condition it will be in or what they have used it for.

Quick question, I am still able flash the headlights, lock and unlock the car from the BMW app on my Iphone. I can only assume it's still responding to these requests...does anyone know when the app is saying the lock is successful, then it is actually happening? I would of thought the thieves would of at least disconnected the battery and the car would be without power...?
      02-07-2016, 08:29 AM   #245
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4z
So it's over 4 days since my car was pinched. I have heard nothing so far from BMW or the Police. The car could be anywhere in Europe now. I am not even sure I want it back now - heaven knows what condition it will be in or what they have used it for.

Quick question, I am still able flash the headlights, lock and unlock the car from the BMW app on my Iphone. I can only assume it's still responding to these requests...does anyone know when the app is saying the lock is successful, then it is actually happening? I would of thought the thieves would of at least disconnected the battery and the car would be without power...?
Yes mine waits for the doors to lock before then saying a few seconds later that the lock was successful.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #246
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

This seems very odd then. I can still do everything on the app except find where it is. Says to me the thieves don't know I can do all this and that BMW can actually track where it is.
      02-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #247
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
This seems very odd then. I can still do everything on the app except find where it is. Says to me the thieves don't know I can do all this and that BMW can actually track where it is.
You can still get it back - I would stop locking it now etc because if they have moved it somewhere secure now it
might alert them and they disconnect the battery.

If the Police have sent the form to Munich they should come back with its location.

I have to say that Cheshire Police were too class and miles better than the lot you are dealing with - very poor.

Keep hassling them to get the result from BMW and you will get it back.
Steve.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #248
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester
Quote:
You can still get it back - I would stop locking it now etc because if they have moved it somewhere secure now it

If the Police have sent the form to Munich they should come back with its location.

I have to say that Cheshire Police were too class and miles better than the lot you are dealing with - very poor.

Steve.
My worry now is what condition it's in. Who has been in it? Those scum bags driving it around makes me feel sick. Would you want it back after that? I'm not sure many would.
      02-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #249
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester
Quote:

Steve.
My worry now is what condition it's in. Who has been in it? Those scum bags driving it around makes me feel sick. Would you want it back after that? I'm not sure many would.
I feel for you and don't think I'd want it back myself. A bit like a Pikey shagging your bird ......... You wouldn't want her after that

Hard to stomach but maybe now best that it disappears and you have a small bit of grief before the excitement of getting another.

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #250
subsy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31

Sorry to hear this still isn't resolved mate. I agree - I don't think I'd want the car back now.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 03:55 AM   #251
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

As of Monday morning - no updates...
      02-08-2016, 04:02 AM   #252
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 335d Touring

You need to get some of the email addresses of the parties involved in trying to recover your car, then keep emailing them for updates, and copy your local tabloid into the email once you have spoken to them with your story of your vehicle being stolen and the lack of urgency from BMW & the police. It might speed things up a bit, if it is getting published in the press.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 04:14 AM   #253
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

I really feel for you OP

It's bad enough that some Scum has taken your hard earned car, but things seem to be in their favour ...... Nobody seems to be in a position to do anything to help and even if they do catch somebody, they get a slap on the wrist and will probably steal again to pay the fine!!

Hopefully the process of replacing your car will be a happy one!!
      02-08-2016, 04:21 AM   #254
jaffab
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 420d xdrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d Touring Xdrive View Post
It might speed things up a bit, if it is getting published in the press.
It may be worth drafting an email of complaint. Saying the police dragged their feet when the location of the car (and so the criminals) were available in real time, therefore the police could be viewed as negligent. A complaint will generate a compliant number and it gets pushed up the chain.

I would (if it was me) send the email to the police, copy in your GAP provider and insurance company (shows you did all you could), and just for good measure, copy in the likes of:

Money box - moneybox@bbc.co.uk
Watchdox - watchdog@bbc.co.uk
Daily Mail - news@mailonline.co.uk
SellUsYourStory - mark@knsnews.co.uk
The leader of your County Council (they grant the money paid to your local police via the council tax)
Your MP
Your local rag
etc
etc

Build the pressure
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 04:31 AM   #255
Dward32
Rep
Drives: 330e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4z View Post
As of Monday morning - no updates...
I used to be a copper on a stolen vehicle squad and have used op cundall a few times. The problem is Munich, they are incredibly slow to process the requests and Germans don't like big brother type surveillance, even on criminals so they lack interest. Which is wrong I know...

I've not read all the thread but we always found the stolen car but it could be a week later. They either get it out of the country straight away or its sat in a garage or car park "cooling off" depends on the level of criminality.

Get hold of the local stolen vehicle squad and they need to speak to NaVCIS. The national vehicle crime Intel service. They run op cundall.

Good luck, if you were local I would find it for you!

D
Appreciate 3
      02-08-2016, 05:26 AM   #256
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Pester them to death!! My car was found three hours after I signed the form!!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 05:33 AM   #257
Canary_Yellow
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport + LCI MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffab View Post
It may be worth drafting an email of complaint. Saying the police dragged their feet when the location of the car (and so the criminals) were available in real time, therefore the police could be viewed as negligent. A complaint will generate a compliant number and it gets pushed up the chain.

I would (if it was me) send the email to the police, copy in your GAP provider and insurance company (shows you did all you could), and just for good measure, copy in the likes of:

Money box - moneybox@bbc.co.uk
Watchdox - watchdog@bbc.co.uk
Daily Mail - news@mailonline.co.uk
SellUsYourStory - mark@knsnews.co.uk
The leader of your County Council (they grant the money paid to your local police via the council tax)
Your MP
Your local rag
etc
etc

Build the pressure
Is there a risk that publicity will alert criminals to the fact BMW's can be tracked and lead them to turn off the GPS functionality?

Or can BMW track it even when GPS services switched off?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 05:49 AM   #258
jaffab
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
Is there a risk that publicity will alert criminals to the fact BMW's can be tracked and lead them to turn off the GPS functionality?

Yes, but it helps the OP push his car recovery forward (if he now wants it back (to me it would feel soiled)) but it also forces car manufacturers to up their game.

A couple of years ago Watchdog did a piece where the diagnostic port could be used by thieves in BMWs, Audis, Mercs and a few other to bypass all security and even start cars. Result was that the functionality loop hole was fixed:

https://www.ala.co.uk/blog/bbc-consu...tige-vehicles/

Warning, you may find the above item and video within the item a little scary about how easy it is. EDIT: It is also not fixed - it can still happen. :-(

Last edited by jaffab; 02-08-2016 at 05:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 06:04 AM   #259
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
I've just tweeted navcis and BMW this is a joke now!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 06:07 AM   #260
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post

BMW can track it when it's off.

Same way as the car reports it's location in an accident - not reliant on the GPS setting in the iDrive.

Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 06:09 AM   #261
Canary_Yellow
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport + LCI MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
BMW can track it when it's off.

Same way as the car reports it's location in an accident - not reliant on the GPS setting in the iDrive.
That's good to know.

I knew it would stop remote services working, but I presumed it wouldn't stop the car uploading info to the BMW servers.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 06:09 AM   #262
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but it helps the OP push his car recovery forward (if he now wants it back (to me it would feel soiled)) but it also forces car manufacturers to up their game.

A couple of years ago Watchdog did a piece where the diagnostic port could be used by thieves in BMWs, Audis, Mercs and a few other to bypass all security and even start cars. Result was that the functionality loop hole was fixed:

https://www.ala.co.uk/blog/bbc-consu...tige-vehicles/

Warning, you may find the above item and video within the item a little scary about how easy it is. EDIT: It is also not fixed - it can still happen. :-(
This old news and has been fixed in new vehicles (BMW) since September 2011 - please check your facts

Last edited by Rukka; 02-08-2016 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 06:16 AM   #263
jaffab
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
This old news and has been fixed in new vehicles (BMW) since September 2012 - please check your facts
I thought it was fixed to. I quote from the item (I dont mention these as facts, just repeating what is said here, which may or may not be correct)...

"Watchdog produced another consumer report in last night’s episode of the programme (30th October 2014) showing that, despite the previous high-profile feature which sparked outrage among consumers, the problem still hasn’t been resolved and has in fact been extended to include other premium manufacturers Audi and Jaguar Land Rover."
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 06:25 AM   #264
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I thought it was fixed to. I quote from the item (I dont mention these as facts, just repeating what is said here, which may or may not be correct)...

"Watchdog produced another consumer report in last night’s episode of the programme (30th October 2014) showing that, despite the previous high-profile feature which sparked outrage among consumers, the problem still hasn’t been resolved and has in fact been extended to include other premium manufacturers Audi and Jaguar Land Rover."
Its funny how that link is on a website promoting GAP

The existing issue of cloning keys via the OBD port was resolved post September 2011. The issue could well still be there for older cars (between 2007 and Sept 2011) that have not had the BMW "fix" applied.

Fact is, there is always going to be a way to "hack" a car electronically. Same way as in the old days a thief would just brick the window, smash the steering lock off and twist the ignition wires together. The watchdog article just seems to have latched onto the one issue.

Appreciate 0