F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > BMW F30 iDrive - NO SIGNAL
GetBMWParts

05-07-2021, 09:35 PM   #1
RajaXXX
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335D

BMW F30 iDrive - NO SIGNAL

Hi All,

Currently having issues with the 'No Signal' on display.

Car is a 2014 F30 originally equipped with the NBT professional Media.

This has now been retrofitted with an iDrive 4 NBT EVO Unit which has been flashed to iDrive 5 with Full Screen CarPlay.

I specifically went this route to retain the original GPS port on the rear of the HU.

The unit itself appears to work fine as the music and sat nav can still be heard playing using the voice commands etc.

Now unfortunately the issue is with the display - 'No Signal' which generally sorts itself out after multiple reboots using the rotary volume dial and this can vary between 3 to multiple attempts before the screen responds and comes back to life. This however only generally lasts up until the vehicle is switched off and modules go to sleep before I have to repeat the process.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I've tried multiple screens including the original NBT, NBT EVO iDrive 4, and also the NBT Evo Touch all of which produce the same issue.

I've tried all the usual screen coding options and multiple screen cables from the original to the Evo Cable -

CID_APIX_MODE -> apix2
CID_COLOR_DEPTH -> 24
CID_COM_MODE -> mii
CID_RESOLUTION -> 1280 x 480

Played around with the above coding and still repeat issues.

Is the HU at failure here?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:04 AM   #2
Ibo24
New BMW owner
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 316d, BMW F40 116d

Garage List
Try EVO ID5/6 screen cable.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 01:33 AM   #3
RuleNormaliai
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 330E

Garage List
Which screen are you using right now? Id4(apix1) or id5/6(apix2) ?

Cables has nothing to do, they are all the same.

Which istep is your HU is flashed with?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 05:32 AM   #4
ahmedmph
Rep
Drives: F15 2015

No Signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaXXX View Post
Hi All,

This has now been retrofitted with an iDrive 4 NBT EVO Unit which has been flashed to iDrive 5 with Full Screen CarPlay.

I specifically went this route to retain the original GPS port on the rear of the HU.

The unit itself appears to work fine as the music and sat nav can still be heard playing using the voice commands etc.

Now unfortunately the issue is with the display - 'No Signal' which generally sorts itself out after multiple reboots using the rotary volume dial and this can vary between 3 to multiple attempts before the screen responds and comes back to life. This however only generally lasts up until the vehicle is switched off and modules go to sleep before I have to repeat the process.

I've tried multiple screens including the original NBT, NBT EVO iDrive 4, and also the NBT Evo Touch all of which produce the same issue.

I've tried all the usual screen coding options and multiple screen cables from the original to the Evo Cable -

CID_APIX_MODE -> apix2
CID_COLOR_DEPTH -> 24
CID_COM_MODE -> mii

Hi, were you able to fix the no signal issue, i am facing exact same problem
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 06:27 AM   #5
klepic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Sorry for bumping this thread again.

I am facing the same issue. I had CIC but I retrofitted NBT fully to 8,8" screen, professional navigation.

Few months ago I installed MMI CarPlay box retrofit and everything works great. However sometimes when I enter the car (especially if it was idle for a hour or so), I got "No Signal" message. I always reset the HU by pressing volume rotor for 30 sec., and after that it works as expected. This does not occur all the time, only sometimes when I leave the car for few hours. Like once a week.

Does anyone know what might be the issue? This was not happening before I installed MMI box, however I am not sure if the box is causing the issue at all. Any tips? I know that for the instance my battery is bad and it needs to be replaced (factory one, 10 years).
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 07:15 AM   #6
SK223
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by klepic View Post
Sorry for bumping this thread again.

I am facing the same issue. I had CIC but I retrofitted NBT fully to 8,8" screen, professional navigation.

Few months ago I installed MMI CarPlay box retrofit and everything works great. However sometimes when I enter the car (especially if it was idle for a hour or so), I got "No Signal" message. I always reset the HU by pressing volume rotor for 30 sec., and after that it works as expected. This does not occur all the time, only sometimes when I leave the car for few hours. Like once a week.

Does anyone know what might be the issue? This was not happening before I installed MMI box, however I am not sure if the box is causing the issue at all. Any tips? I know that for the instance my battery is bad and it needs to be replaced (factory one, 10 years).
I know that this is actually an issue with the MMI box as it's happened to me as well, specifically the andream MMI box. This is resolved with a firmware update to the MMI box but you will need to contact the manufacturer of the MMI box explaining the issue and they'll send you a specific firmware file to update that should resolve it
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 12:08 PM   #7
klepic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK223 View Post
I know that this is actually an issue with the MMI box as it's happened to me as well, specifically the andream MMI box. This is resolved with a firmware update to the MMI box but you will need to contact the manufacturer of the MMI box explaining the issue and they'll send you a specific firmware file to update that should resolve it
Thanks for the reply! I am not sure if I have exactly that MMI box, however I ordered it from Ali Express. I already contacted them for an potential update so we will see.
For the refference, this is the package box of the MMI:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 06:02 PM   #8
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaXXX View Post
Hi All,

CID_APIX_MODE -> apix2
CID_COLOR_DEPTH -> 24
CID_COM_MODE -> mii

My understanding is that if your EVO is 2GB then flashing it to ID6, which is 4GB, will cause intermittent reboots and errors in navigation and other CPU intense applications.