F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bootmod3 - please advise :)
Extreme Powerhouse

04-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #23
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
I dont think it makes sense to drill the N55 DME. Fairly easy to open. The N20 is a whole different story though!

Rev 1 and 2 of my OTS also had all kinds of weird issues. I'll enjoy my BEF and give the guys some much needed time to sort it out
Experience has proven drilling the N55 is the safest way not to ruin the DME.
/Krelle
      04-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #24
frackje
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: AH3

Do a road trip to pureturbos.eu .
Appreciate 1
PeterPure677.00
      04-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #25
frackje
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

PS: Beware that the AH3 isn't the easiest to flash. I had to go back to BRP twice, and it looks like afranke is also encountering some (maybe the same?) flash issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #26
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

No indeed there seems to be some complexity with the hybrid drive. Do you remember which drivetrain malfunction code you got on the first attempts?

proTUNING Freaks do you have some info to share on our AH3 tuning? Darkiedm4 wrote me back to say you're not far from figuring it out, I'd really like to know what you found/learned in the process or compromise (if any) we have to make.

I'll probably plan something in coming weeks with Darkiedm4 @ pureturbos.eu indeed if i can get more specific info to confirm it's working fine - like you say your experience with BR showed it wasn't very straightforward, i'm lucky to have afranke being first with AH3 on bm3
      04-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #27
frackje
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
No indeed there seems to be some complexity with the hybrid drive. Do you remember which drivetrain malfunction code you got on the first attempts?

proTUNING Freaks do you have some info to share on our AH3 tuning? Darkiedm4 wrote me back to say you're not far from figuring it out, I'd really like to know what you found/learned in the process or compromise (if any) we have to make.

I'll probably plan something in coming weeks with Darkiedm4 @ pureturbos.eu indeed if i can get more specific info to confirm it's working fine - like you say your experience with BR showed it wasn't very straightforward, i'm lucky to have afranke being first with AH3 on bm3
Yeah I'm pretty sure BR did everything they could. They've done a ton of test drives and after 20 flash files everything finally worked out.
And the two times I went back I could feel the torque was decreased, but the car is still fast.

I have a feeling this is the cause: The Electric motor delivers up to 230nm. Did you know?

https://ci-portal.zf.com/global/medi..._DataSheet.pdf

If that's correct, the N55 is not supposed to go give more than 470NM. If it does, it will result in the error because the gearbox can't handle more than 700nm.

I'm not 100% sure about this theory though. But I'm pretty sure I had the same error as afranke.

In any case your car will be in very good hands at Darkiedm4 . Give me a sign when you know the date. It's only a 10 minutes drive for me .

Last edited by frackje; 04-11-2017 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
PeterPure677.00
      04-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #28
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

The problem I'm encountering appears to be the same as the code being thrown is telling us the maximum total torque is exceeded (what a problem to have, right?), but the behavior itself is a little odd. The most recent appearance of the code I was cruising at 60MPH in Sport mode with the trans in Sport, 30% throttle, 6th gear, 2200-2300RPM. I can't imagine torque is exceeding 470NM in that scenario.

In any case, proTUNING Freaks are FANTASTIC and I'm highly confident that they are close to a resolution for this issue. The map itself I have right now is just awesome, and feels MUCH better than the JB4 (so much so that I've removed the JB4 entirely for the time being). I can't wait to see what results we end up getting, but as always it will take some time and work.
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #29
frackje
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afranke View Post
The problem I'm encountering appears to be the same as the code being thrown is telling us the maximum total torque is exceeded (what a problem to have, right?), but the behavior itself is a little odd. The most recent appearance of the code I was cruising at 60MPH in Sport mode with the trans in Sport, 30% throttle, 6th gear, 2200-2300RPM. I can't imagine torque is exceeding 470NM in that scenario.

In any case, proTUNING Freaks are FANTASTIC and I'm highly confident that they are close to a resolution for this issue. The map itself I have right now is just awesome, and feels MUCH better than the JB4 (so much so that I've removed the JB4 entirely for the time being). I can't wait to see what results we end up getting, but as always it will take some time and work.
I also encountered the error while cruising / slowly accelerating at low RPM and sometimes at the high way. Have you checked your torque in the the sports display? And what are your current numbers?

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #30
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Indeed the case you mention isn't likely to result in exceeding 700Nm... i wonder if the DME has some bug in calculation, or if another table needs to be updated to change the torque calculation.

At least with the JB4 the DME didn't think the torque had changed and isn't throwing any code, but the gear shifts are very brutal because of this, which is why i want to move tho bm3

Afranke you just convinced me to take the plunge with your last post

@Frackje sure I'll let you know when i'm there, will be good to meet for real at last
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #31
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackje View Post
I also encountered the error while cruising / slowly accelerating at low RPM and sometimes at the high way. Have you checked your torque in the the sports display? And what are your current numbers?

If you're talking current dyno numbers, can you open and save my WinPep8 files with the correct correction factor? The current version available doesn't seem to have STD anymore.
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #32
frackje
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Indeed the case you mention isn't likely to result in exceeding 700Nm... i wonder if the DME has some bug in calculation, or if another table needs to be updated to change the torque calculation.

At least with the JB4 the DME didn't think the torque had changed and isn't throwing any code, but the gear shifts are very brutal because of this, which is why i want to move tho bm3

Afranke you just convinced me to take the plunge with your last post

@Frackje sure I'll let you know when i'm there, will be good to meet for real at last
335i's are getting around 525NM with a flash tune. So I think we can easily hit the 700NM if the electric motor really gives 230NM.
But I'm not certain yet.

The PDF also says 440NM Wet Clutch => Any idea what this means?

Can you explain the brutal shifts? How much KM do you have?
You don't have an acceleration video by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #33
frackje
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
If you're talking current dyno numbers, can you open and save my WinPep8 files with the correct correction factor? The current version available doesn't seem to have STD anymore.
I'm not a tuner, I can't help you with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #34
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackje View Post
335i's are getting around 525NM with a flash tune. So I think we can easily hit the 700NM if the electric motor really gives 230NM.
But I'm not certain yet.
I thought the emotor is supposed to give 50Nm boost on the AH3, not 230Nm. Perhaps 230Nm could be when in full eletric mode, i've never looked at the torque display in this situation tbh, i'll try that tomorrow

Quote:
The PDF also says 440NM Wet Clutch => Any idea what this means?

Can you explain the brutal shifts? How much KM do you have?
You don't have an acceleration video by any chance?
If i understand correctly, the DME communicates the torque to the gearbox ecu to manage the gear shift, if it thinks your torque input is for instance 200Nm while in reality your outputting 300Nm because of the JB4 increased boost that the DME knows nothing about in its calculated torque, then the gearbox doesn't manage that very well and i think we're seeing increased wear when shifting in full load, where the JB4 boost increase (and torque difference) is at its peak.

This shows with a shift that insn't smooth for me compared to stock, i.e. when shift occurs you get a sudden torque surge when new gear is engaged, that can't be good for the transmission.

That's a problem you don't have with a remap because the dme knows the real parameters and calculates torque accurately.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #35
frackje
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I thought the emotor is supposed to give 50Nm boost on the AH3, not 230Nm. Perhaps 230Nm could be when in full eletric mode, i've never looked at the torque display in this situation tbh, i'll try that tomorrow

If i understand correctly, the DME communicates the torque to the gearbox ecu to manage the gear shift, if it thinks your torque input is for instance 200Nm while in reality your outputting 300Nm because of the JB4 increased boost that the DME knows nothing about in its calculated torque, then the gearbox doesn't manage that very well and i think we're seeing increased wear when shifting in full load, where the JB4 boost increase (and torque difference) is at its peak.

This shows with a shift that insn't smooth for me compared to stock, i.e. when shift occurs you get a sudden torque surge when new gear is engaged, that can't be good for the transmission.

That's a problem you don't have with a remap because the dme knows the real parameters and calculates torque accurately.
Just did a quick test, but with only 40% battery. It looks like it's giving up to 110nm in full electric mode.

I have no idea about that, interesting theory. You don't have a video of your acceleration with the current settings?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #36
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelle View Post
/Krelle
I have indeed seen some DME's that were badly opened. However the seal was done OKish meaning no water could go in. Was it nice? No... But I guess that happens when those tuners need to open it in 15 minutes.

Then drilling a hole takes less time. But when you make a hole, always water could enter.

If you take your time to properly open and seal the DME, then I dont see any issue with that method.

Greetz,
Peter
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #37
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

So as it turns out DynoJet added STD back into WinPep. Thank god, that was a stupid move on their part. These are the dyno runs from my most recent flash running relatively low boost (only about 13 psi IIRC). Just got a new map from them, so back to testing!

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #38
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelle View Post
/Krelle

My Build Thread can be found HERE

Last edited by ronanz; 08-24-2019 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
Jadar1752.50
      04-11-2017, 08:21 PM   #39
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiedm4 View Post
I have indeed seen some DME's that were badly opened. However the seal was done OKish meaning no water could go in. Was it nice? No... But I guess that happens when those tuners need to open it in 15 minutes.

Then drilling a hole takes less time. But when you make a hole, always water could enter.

If you take your time to properly open and seal the DME, then I dont see any issue with that method.

Greetz,
Peter
Hi peter,
I'm just letting out information showing that even though you're super careful, the result isn't always what you like it to be.
The rubber plugs prevents water ingress just fine when you apply a little sealant.
Btw turbo project is progressing Hope to be all set for the May track day's
How are you're new Super car doing?

Greetings Krelle
      04-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #40
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
Quote:
Rev 1 and 2 of my OTS also had all kinds of weird issues. I'll enjoy my BEF and give the guys some much needed time to sort it out
Ah so the picture isn't as bright and sunny

I'm a strong supporter of the bm3 idea, but perhaps it's just too early for me to jump in, i really can't risk a limp mode in the middle of overtaking :-(
All our cars are "different" so I suggest you just write an email to Dzenno from PTF and ask about your car. He knows if the flash is finished or need further development. Some of us like to be first movers and beta-testers...some dont
      04-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #41
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
Quote:
Ah so the picture isn't as bright and sunny

I'm a strong supporter of the bm3 idea, but perhaps it's just too early for me to jump in, i really can't risk a limp mode in the middle of overtaking :-(
All our cars are "different" so I suggest you just write an email to Dzenno from PTF and ask about your car. He knows if the flash is finished or need further development. Some of us like to be first movers and beta-testers...some dont
      04-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #42
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 Competition

Quote:
So as it turns out DynoJet added STD back into WinPep. Thank god, that was a stupid move on their part. These are the dyno runs from my most recent flash running relatively low boost (only about 13 psi IIRC). Just got a new map from them, so back to testing!

When was the last time you did spark plugs? Graph looks a little rocky at the top end

Past: 13' Audi S6 | 13' E70 X5M | 13' E92 M3 Comp | 14' BMW 335xi GT | 95' E36 M3 | 84' BMW 733i | 06' Porsche Boxster S | 15' Jeep Grand Cherokee | 06' Acura TL |
85' Honda Shadow VT700 | 05’ Yamaha R6 | 12’ Triumph Tiger
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 08:53 AM   #43
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Thanks! So plan would be:
- Order BM3
- go to tuner ask to unlock DME, install BM3 and ask them to provide me with bin flash tune + stock tune, that i'll be able to load on BM3

Sounds like a plan

Hi

Have been installed the HJS 300 Cell DP on the ah3 ?
BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 02:34 AM   #44
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzzz View Post
Hi

Have been installed the HJS 300 Cell DP on the ah3 ?
No. I'm actually freezing my spending on the AH3 as I'm considering swapping for a used F80 M3 as they're starting to show up at more reasonable prices.

My work on chassis has been very educational so that now get a very good understanding of why and how an F80 chassis and engine is better, and since french regulations are very mod-unfriendly I'm thinking perhaps reverting the AH3 to stock in coming months, selling my aftermarket parts, and get an M3 is the way to go. For piece of mind.
GTBrandon260.00