F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > 370mm brake disc and pads
Extreme Powerhouse

02-18-2020, 05:29 AM   #1
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
370mm brake disc and pads

My front discs/pads needs replacing soon on my 340i. They are the msport brakes so are 370mm at the front.

Looking for alternatives and where to buy as the stealership wants $1750 for both front discs and pads.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 12:29 AM   #2
ChuckF30
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
My front discs/pads needs replacing soon on my 340i. They are the msport brakes so are 370mm at the front.

Looking for alternatives and where to buy as the stealership wants $1750 for both front discs and pads.
I went with DBA rotors and euro+ pads. Brake feel is exactly the same as OEM maybe even better initial bite. Cant remember how much it cost me but it was well under $800 but i done the install myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:28 PM   #3
3lucidus
Eat Sleep Trance
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

i'd just check if the car came with the M upgrade kit as the m sport kit doesnt come as standard with 370mm discs.

i just got slotted DBA's from supercheaper just look up the part DBA4486 is for the upgrade kit (https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...PO6491622.html)

i bought the wrong discs for my car, assumed m sport had the upgrade lol this is how i know this
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.tonto View Post
i'd just check if the car came with the M upgrade kit as the m sport kit doesnt come as standard with 370mm discs.

i just got slotted DBA's from supercheaper just look up the part DBA4486 is for the upgrade kit (https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...PO6491622.html)

i bought the wrong discs for my car, assumed m sport had the upgrade lol this is how i know this
I thought all 340i had the additional option applied. Guess that's not the case.

But I definitely have the msport brakes, blue calipers and option 2NH.

Don't know if they are worth it for daily driving though. I had standard brakes on the 328i and comparing to the 340i msport brakes I feel it's maybe a little bit firmer but not a huge difference for daily driving.

Thanks for the link.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #5
Rangeball_81
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

I recently replaced my rotors and pads. After some research on the forum, I chose Pagid rotors and akebono pads. Ordered both off rockauto.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:52 PM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:

FYI- "M Sport" is a marketing term that BMW slaps all over and it means different things on different models and items. Usually if it's an M Sport model that only refers to the exterior panels. It has to specifically say "M Sport Brakes" and calipers are painted blue.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:34 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
Quote:

I thought all 340i had the additional option applied. Guess that's not the case.

But I definitely have the msport brakes, blue calipers and option 2NH.

Don't know if they are worth it for daily driving though. I had standard brakes on the 328i and comparing to the 340i msport brakes I feel it's maybe a little bit firmer but not a huge difference for daily driving.

Thanks for the link.
Your Brembo 370/345 calipers are amazing. You just need to wake them up with the right components. I've done a few F3x brake upgrades. You said that you just need front brakes right now.

This is what I would recommend:

Hawk 5.0 pads-
best street performance pads. Great bite, instant warm up and light brake dust that washes right off. See photo for part numbers. It may be a challenge to get them to Australia so it would make sense to get front and rear pads together.

Front Rotors-
Rather than replace with plain rotors, it makes sense to upgrade them. Slotted rotors were designed for the track. They are an improvement in performance over plain. But the downside is slotted can be noisy and tear up pads quicker. Dimples are not cross-drilled. They don't shed water and they often build up rust particles in the dimples and look terrible.

Cross-drilled rotors provide the best bite, and they also provide the best performance in rain by preventing water buildup between pad and rotor surface. There's a reason that cross-drilled rotors are standard on Porsche, McLaren, Mercedes, etc. Below are some options:

Zimmermann Front Drilled 370mm x 30mm
Part# 150.2911.52 (need two)
I haven't seen these but maybe they are more available locally for you.

StopTech Front Cross-Drilled 370x30 Two Piece
Part# 128.34144L and 128.34144R
See photo

FYI: Matching Rear StopTech Cross-Drilled 345x24 Two Piece (for most common 185mm Emergency Brake)
Part# 128.34147L and 128.34147R
See photo

Stainless Steel Brake Lines-
Upgrade stock rubber brake hoses to stainless steel. Makes brake pedal feel much more solid. Labor is negligible at same time as brake job/ fluid replacement. (Replace fluid every two years for safety.) StopTech set is only about $106. See photo for part numbers. There are other brands that usually cost a little more.

Not sure what availability is in Australia. Spoke to Zeckhausen Racing recently who mentioned that they ship to Australia. If you are interested email David@Zeckhausen.com

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
x5mad351.50
      03-09-2020, 05:18 AM   #8
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
This is what I would recommend:

Hawk 5.0 pads-
best street performance pads. Great bite, instant warm up and light brake dust that washes right off. See photo for part numbers. It may be a challenge to get them to Australia so it would make sense to get front and rear pads together.
So I decided to get the pads only as I very much doubt I need rotors too only after 46 k km.

I went with your recommendation as I see many others seem to be happy with the hawk 5.0.

Ordered on eBay from a US seller.
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      03-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #9
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

You'll find that the surface is worn unevenly (outer edge and the edge nearest to the hat will be least worn). When you fit the new pads, hold the new pad against the disc and you'll see what you'll have to chamfer off to get maximum pad contact. If you don't chamfer, they will just take longer to fully bed in.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 05:55 PM   #10
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
You'll find that the surface is worn unevenly (outer edge and the edge nearest to the hat will be least worn). When you fit the new pads, hold the new pad against the disc and you'll see what you'll have to chamfer off to get maximum pad contact. If you don't chamfer, they will just take longer to fully bed in.
It seems that my rotor has done the opposite. The inner part near the hat is worn away the most.

It's got a ring of brown dirt/rust near the hat. Taking a while to get my rotor all shiney again.

Is this just down to personal usage circumstances or is this unusual?
Appreciate 0