F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > New Front Tension Arm and LCA Bushing Solution!
proTUNING Freaks

12-22-2019, 08:43 PM   #67
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
I believe the original bushings were centered, not offset.
The OE tension strut bushings' bolt hole is absolutely offset from the center of the bushing. It's not a huge offset, but it's there. I've measured it myself.
You're probably right. I never measured the ones that came on the car. When I saw the bushings that where originally in the arms that VAC sourced, while developing these, they didn't look offset.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 08:49 PM   #68
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Good stuff.

I have an F31 with xDrive, so I'm excited to see this product being developed. I have limited experience/knowledge with the nuances of these parts, but I'd like to tighten up my wheel-to-wheel response lag. For a non-tracked daily driver, what's the downside when switching to these (maintenance, etc.)? If it matters, I'm dropped on KW DDC coilovers. Thanks!
There's not really any maintenance. The mono balls on these are oem sealed bushings. Granted I don't know what oem, but they are sourced from a company that makes oem bushings. Most likely they'll last longer than you own the car.
Regarding maintenance and downsides; if you read my posts and the ones from the others, other than a little more NVH, there's not much of a downside. Personally, I didn't hear much more noise, maybe a little on some rough surfaces. Mostly just more feeling through the steering wheel. If you can live with that, it's a transformative part for your car.
Appreciate 1
eleven11374.50
      12-23-2019, 06:32 PM   #69
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Quote:
There's not really any maintenance...
Awesome. Thanks for the reply.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 12:34 AM   #70
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Quote:
Good stuff.

I have an F31 with xDrive, so I'm excited to see this product being developed. I have limited experience/knowledge with the nuances of these parts, but I'd like to tighten up my wheel-to-wheel response lag. For a non-tracked daily driver, what's the downside when switching to these (maintenance, etc.)? If it matters, I'm dropped on KW DDC coilovers. Thanks!
There's not really any maintenance. The mono balls on these are oem sealed bushings. Granted I don't know what oem, but they are sourced from a company that makes oem bushings. Most likely they'll last longer than you own the car.
Regarding maintenance and downsides; if you read my posts and the ones from the others, other than a little more NVH, there's not much of a downside. Personally, I didn't hear much more noise, maybe a little on some rough surfaces. Mostly just more feeling through the steering wheel. If you can live with that, it's a transformative part for your car.
Has VAC started selling these or are they still beta/prototype testing?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 10:50 PM   #71
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Good stuff.

Has VAC started selling these or are they still beta/prototype testing?
Not sure if they're listed on their site yet, but if you ask for it they'll definitely sell them to you.
Happy Holidays!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #72
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 6MT xDrive M-Adaptive

Just ordered the Millway monoballs, will report back!
Appreciate 1
exE36M3489.50
      09-29-2020, 12:27 AM   #73
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep

Millway X-Drive monoballs came in!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #74
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkiledj View Post
How are you going to pop those into the arm?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 01:35 AM   #75
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane435 View Post
Quote:
How are you going to pop those into the arm?
I don't get the question, just press them in with a press.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #76
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
I don't get the question, just press them in with a press.
Little late to the party here but are those Millway control arm bushings for the front straight control arms or for the 'wavy' thrust arms? You might think "If it's called a control arm bushing it's for the control arm, not thrust arm." But look around and you will find someone claiming they inserted these bushings into the thrust arm. Look around even more and find people calling the thrust arm the upper control arm or upper wishbone (which is odd since wishbones are for a different type of suspension, not MacPherson Strut type suspensions, the type used in the F30).

Even better, the bushing size is different for the thrust and control arm. Imagine pulling off the wrong arm to discover the size difference.

Sure would be nice to get confirmation the control arm bushings are for the straight shaped lower front control arm.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 05:37 PM   #77
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

The Millway sealed monoball bushes are currently only for the tension struts - see item 6 in the attached diagram. Millway does not yet have a bush for the wishbones.
Attached Images

Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2021, 02:11 AM   #78
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
The Millway sealed monoball bushes are currently only for the tension struts - see item 6 in the attached diagram. Millway does not yet have a bush for the wishbones.
Maybe this is just plain Swedish practicality. In my experience of 3 previous BMWs (two 3 and one 2) the foremost body side control arm bushing is prone to failure first. Even on the single wishbone of the e46, it was the front bushing that died, then the hub side bushing. The rear bushing never failed on my car. On F30 #1, 'fatty' the thrust arm, body side bushing, started getting chewed up. Of course, the diagnosis was that two entire control arms (left and right) and 4 bushings needed to be binned. One busted part killed 3 good parts and 1 credit card. Entire economies are supported on throwing working car parts in the trash.

Good old BMW. Wants to sell me a USD$1500 'performance' steering wheel for my xDrive, but won't sell me two monoballs bushings from their M car line plus a couple of spacers to make them fit.

Lovely.

I didn't see too many reviews on the Millway bushings. Are you using them? If yes, how do you find them? I am considering the street bushing as I prefer not to chatter my teeth to dust. Then I'll need dentures or implants and have to put back the OE parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 03:37 AM   #79
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
Maybe this is just plain Swedish practicality. In my experience of 3 previous BMWs (two 3 and one 2) the foremost body side control arm bushing is prone to failure first. Even on the single wishbone of the e46, it was the front bushing that died, then the hub side bushing. The rear bushing never failed on my car. On F30 #1, 'fatty' the thrust arm, body side bushing, started getting chewed up. Of course, the diagnosis was that two entire control arms (left and right) and 4 bushings needed to be binned. One busted part killed 3 good parts and 1 credit card. Entire economies are supported on throwing working car parts in the trash.

Good old BMW. Wants to sell me a USD$1500 'performance' steering wheel for my xDrive, but won't sell me two monoballs bushings from their M car line plus a couple of spacers to make them fit.

Lovely.

I didn't see too many reviews on the Millway bushings. Are you using them? If yes, how do you find them? I am considering the street bushing as I prefer not to chatter my teeth to dust. Then I'll need dentures or implants and have to put back the OE parts.
In terms of bushes my car is currently running SuperPro poly bushes in the radius arms (the 'bendy' arms) and its new sealed monoball bushes in the lower control arms (a.k.a. wishbones). The SuperPro LCAs and bushes will be coming off the car as they are not suitable for the F3X even though SuperPro is marketing them as such.

I'm going to do a more in-depth review of SuperPro components on my car, as I've not been impressed. That said, the poly bushes in the radius arms have lasted a few years and have not worn.

I've had quite a bit of contact with Samuel at Millway over the past couple of years regarding its camber plates (a long, but positive, story) and he emailed me to let me know that he'd see my reply back to you clarifying where the current Millway sealed bushes are used.

Millway is now developing a sealed bush for use in the lower control arms, which I will get fitted when they are released for sale.

The sloppy OEM hydro bushes (required due to the need for significant isolation of the NVH generated by the runflat tyres) rob the chassis and steering of precision and feel. The benefits of re-bushing the front suspension far outweighs the increased firmness of the suspension on these cars. I far prefer the feeling of tautness - with a good suspension setup (i.e. including decent coilovers) it's not jarring.

Just my opinion, of course.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 01:13 AM   #80
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

For RWD, how would you rate the quality of vac monoballs LCA vs BMW F8x LCA which i believe is also monoballs?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0