F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > JD Cars Lightning Console
GetBMWParts

06-09-2022, 06:52 PM   #1
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
JD Cars Lightning Console

Hello all,

I am currently on the fence about whether or not to purchase it so I wanted to see if anyone on the forums has installed this lightning console on in their vehicle and what they think of it.

Also, looking to see if the wireless charger has enough wattage to support fast wireless charging on both Apple and Samsung Galaxy phones.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 08:41 PM   #2
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Bump
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 08:51 PM   #3
idopullups
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
2014 328xi (totaled)  [0.00]
I bought one but its on backorder I'll update when I install if no-one else has.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2022, 12:55 PM   #4
idopullups
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
2014 328xi (totaled)  [0.00]
Just got mine last night and installed it as well. I have to admit I'm a fan of JD's content, but I'll try to be as objective and critical as possible:

my car: 2014 328xi estoril blue ext. black int.

In the box: Very well and safely packed. You do also get a T20 torx, pick tool set, plastic pry tool, sticker, and keychain. I already had all of these tools, but the install absolutely requires all of them, so a nice touch if you dont have them, and they're all pretty decent quality.

Fitment: amazing, fits and looks oem+ no problem

Charging: works flawlessly for android and iphone (tested on iphone 11 pro and samsung galaxy s8. I think it was fast charging, but apple removed the audio dings that tell you if it is, so not 100% there. It also works to charge my airpods, but you have to get them in the right spot.

Price: The price is steep, although it works and fits amazing I still think its a lot to ask $200. But again I was willing to shell that out for the oem look which this definitely fulfills.

Positives: oem look, good fitment, bigger drivers cupholder, easy install, good packaging + instructions

Negatives: Cost, lose a little bit of storage space (not really), silicon charging cover is a bit loose probably wont use it myself.

Overall worth it for me, but I wanted the oem look.

Pics attached.

Last edited by idopullups; 07-09-2022 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-09-2022, 06:05 PM   #5
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idopullups View Post
Just got mine last night and installed it as well. I have to admit I'm a fan of JD's content, but I'll try to be as objective and critical as possible:

my car: 2014 328xi estoril blue ext. black int.

In the box: Very well and safely packed. You do also get a T20 torx, pick tool set, plastic pry tool, sticker, and keychain. I already had all of these tools, but the install absolutely requires all of them, so a nice touch if you dont have them, and they're all pretty decent quality.

Fitment: amazing, fits and looks oem+ no problem

Charging: works flawlessly for android and iphone (tested on iphone 11 pro and samsung galaxy s8. I think it was fast charging, but apple removed the audio dings that tell you if it is, so not 100% there. It also works to charge my airpods, but you have to get them in the right spot.

Price: The price is steep, although it works and fits amazing I still think its a lot to ask $200. But again I was willing to shell that out for the oem look which this definitely fulfills.

Positives: oem look, good fitment, bigger drivers cupholder, easy install, good packaging + instructions

Negatives: Cost, lose a little bit of storage space (not really), silicon charging cover is a bit loose probably wont use it myself.

Overall worth it for me, but I wanted the oem look.

Pics [...]
Really appreciate the thorough review. Think you convinced me to get one 😂
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2022, 12:47 PM   #6
seanquest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 340I XDRIVE 6MT

I have it installed for about a month, so far it has been great. My old gripe is the phone gets hot but no issues so far!
Attached Images

07-12-2022, 10:23 PM   #7
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Charger is only 10w. Not 15w. So it will not give the fastest charge and might take a lot longer on newer and larger smartphones
Appreciate 3
      07-13-2022, 03:04 AM   #8
orha12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 316i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
Charger is only 10w. Not 15w. So it will not give the fastest charge and might take a lot longer on newer and larger smartphones
I'm glad you said that, because of this reason unfortunately I won't buy it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 11:25 AM   #9
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
Thank you for letting us know. This was a real deal breaker on the product. Hopefully they can upgrade the part in the future to have a higher wattage.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 05:42 AM   #10
arsenal6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 428xi

Garage List
2015 bmw 428xi  [0.00]
does it fit a larger iphone like the 14 pro max?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 02:03 AM   #11
arsenal6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 428xi

Garage List
2015 bmw 428xi  [0.00]
lol damn they raised the price to 250
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 02:44 AM   #12
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Whats the max measure values to put a phone into it?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 01:10 PM   #13
dv8ed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i N26

My only gripe is this area marked in red looks very cheap.
Attached Images

12-14-2022, 05:43 PM   #14
Samf82m4
Private
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 6MT

If you're paying more than 80$, you're getting ripped off. These have been all over aliexpress for years.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2022, 05:44 PM   #15
Samf82m4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8ed View Post
My only gripe is this area marked in red looks very cheap.
Because it's a cheap Chinese part.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 03:35 AM   #16
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i ActiveHybrid 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samf82m4 View Post
If you're paying more than 80$, you're getting ripped off. These have been all over aliexpress for years.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US
Sometimes I got to wonder if I'm in the wrong field. These guys rebranding crap from Aliexpress makes them a nice extra, huge margins. Same thing on Facebook ads, so called companies buying thousands of parts or clothes from Aliexpress, stamping them with their own logo and reselling at triple the cost. Maybe throw in a nicer manual in actual English, and a small torx bit or something to seem like it's different. And people buy them instantly. When you ask the seller, they usually respond with "I didn't know" or "I'm making it easier for you to buy!". Ordering from China might take 3 weeks, but at a fraction of the price it's a no-brainer.

There was a very nice jacket ad on Facebook a few months back, priced at 300 dollars. Found the same exact jacket without branding on Aliexpress, paid 30 bucks. It has been the best jacket I've ever had.

Time and time again these guys prove that this crap sells instantly, since most people don't know any better or are afraid to buy from Aliexpress. I really need to get into this.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 08:30 AM   #17
Samf82m4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico- View Post
Sometimes I got to wonder if I'm in the wrong field. These guys rebranding crap from Aliexpress makes them a nice extra, huge margins. Same thing on Facebook ads, so called companies buying thousands of parts or clothes from Aliexpress, stamping them with their own logo and reselling at triple the cost. Maybe throw in a nicer manual in actual English, and a small torx bit or something to seem like it's different. And people buy them instantly. When you ask the seller, they usually respond with "I didn't know" or "I'm making it easier for you to buy!". Ordering from China might take 3 weeks, but at a fraction of the price it's a no-brainer.

There was a very nice jacket ad on Facebook a few months back, priced at 300 dollars. Found the same exact jacket without branding on Aliexpress, paid 30 bucks. It has been the best jacket I've ever had.

Time and time again these guys prove that this crap sells instantly, since most people don't know any better or are afraid to buy from Aliexpress. I really need to get into this.
Dude I hear ya. I've been super busy but the next goal for my YT channel is to buy accessories from Ali Express and give reviews (side skirts, diffusers, etc...). Find all of the accessories resellers in the US are hiking the prices on and give enthusiasts the option to get them cheaper, directly from the source. #powertotheenthusiasts
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 11:14 AM   #18
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

virtually all of amazon marketplace are people/companies reselling shit from china for a huge mark-up, you guys are making it sound like auto related vendors are scumbags for doing something that's considered completely normal e-business practice.

on a side note, i dont order from ali often, but from the 10 or so things I did order from there, 3 of them came damaged and broken. i was only able to secure refund for 1 of the items, the rest I basically had to throw away. a lot of US based vendors not only offer much quicker shipping time due to location, but they also have way more favorable return/refund policies. Some even provide actual QC, although not all for sure. all of those things cost money, and add to product's overhead cost.

there's no right or wrong answer as to who you should purchase items from. I personally wouldn't order big body kit pieces to ship from China, I rather pay a premium and buy it from a US based vendor like Kies or whoever. Each option has its pros and cons in the end. I do think this piece from JD is overpriced though, I'm not sure why they set the price so high, I think a $120-$140 price tag would've been more fair, which is still almost double to what aliexpress has it for.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 03:39 PM   #19
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i ActiveHybrid 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
I'm not sure why they set the price so high, I think a $120-$140 price tag would've been more fair, which is still almost double to what aliexpress has it for.
This was the point we were making. It's priced so high because it can still sell, and BMW exphunsiv, snarf. You could buy several of these in Ali for that price.

I don't think they are scumbags, quite the opposite. This is one hell of a business, and I'm jealous it works so easily.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 05:56 PM   #20
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico- View Post
This was the point we were making. It's priced so high because it can still sell, and BMW exphunsiv, snarf. You could buy several of these in Ali for that price.

I don't think they are scumbags, quite the opposite. This is one hell of a business, and I'm jealous it works so easily.
that’s fair
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 09:36 PM   #21
Samf82m4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
virtually all of amazon marketplace are people/companies reselling shit from china for a huge mark-up, you guys are making it sound like auto related vendors are scumbags for doing something that's considered completely normal e-business practice.
We're talking about BMW parts not can openers and t-shirts lol. When you buy something for your BMW and pay a premium from a US vendor, you expect good quality to cost ratio. That's not always the case. Over charging for china parts may be normal but doesn't make it right. Bottom line, if I can help an enthusiast get the best deal on parts by cutting out the middle man, I'll do it every time.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 06:39 AM   #22
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samf82m4 View Post
We're talking about BMW parts not can openers and t-shirts lol. When you buy something for your BMW and pay a premium from a US vendor, you expect good quality to cost ratio. That's not always the case. Over charging for china parts may be normal but doesn't make it right. Bottom line, if I can help an enthusiast get the best deal on parts by cutting out the middle man, I'll do it every time.
can openers and t-shirts? virtually every item from a pencil to a $10,000 industrial scissor lift is resold from china by US based vendors with a markup… i also went on to explain why it makes a difference to have a middle man, your argument is paying as little as possible has absolutely zero downsides?
Appreciate 0