F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Summary of all F30 USB / iPod / iPhone audio options
GetBMWParts

09-28-2018, 01:59 PM   #67
majidonline
Registered
Rep
Drives: f10

ok
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2018, 04:36 AM   #68
DaveKizie
Rep
Drives: 2012 320d sport

Sorry if this has been asked before
I have just purchased a 2012 320d sport and I'm struggling to get my iPhone to play music via usb (phone is iPhone X)
I have used an original apple cable and each time it says that it is not supported
I have checked for software updates and it says my vehicle isn't due any

Can anyone shed any light on how to get music playing via usb and not having to use a phone cable
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2019, 07:22 PM   #69
junior8811_2018_330i
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i xDrive

Hello all, new member here. I have a new 2018 330i w/ xDrive, and I am using BimmerCode. I have had success with a few items, but I am having difficulty with the following. Any help would be much appreciated.

1.) Full text messages on iDrive screen
2.) Screen mirror to watch Netflix, etc. (I have an iPhone 8)
3.) Fog lights on automatically with DRL.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by junior8811_2018_330i; 01-26-2019 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #70
nasos38
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 316

hello , i would like to add a usb port but the audio unit i have does not have a spare port behind. what optioms do i have now?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #71
blinking
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 3 series

New member here.

Has there been any updates on how to play music on a '13 328i through Bluetooth on an iPhone? I can get Bluetooth audio just fine so I can make calls and such but can no longer play music wirelessly. It was fine until a few years ago when iOS 9 or 10 came out.

I tried the search bar and saw that a few other people have had the issue too; however, I didn't see anything that explicitly says how to fix this.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #72
kylemore
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I had a very unusual experience in my F30 328i that I have not been able to replicate since. I do not appear to have the ability to stream music through blue tooth on my iphone, though I can use it to make calls over the speaker system.

I have a pair of Sennheiser wireless ear buds (bluetooth). I recently started my car while listening to a podcast and my phone paired with the car's audio system and started playing it through the speakers! I have never had the option to do this in the past.

The truly bizarre part was my car was acting like this was a phone call, it popped up that I was calling my own phone, had the timer running, etc... It also messed up something on my iphone (xr) because after I left my car I could barely get any audio out of my speakers. I later restarted my iphone and since then have not been able stream through bluetooth. Any thoughts on what might have happened?​
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #73
murphius1118
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemore View Post
I had a very unusual experience in my F30 328i that I have not been able to replicate since. I do not appear to have the ability to stream music through blue tooth on my iphone, though I can use it to make calls over the speaker system.

I have a pair of Sennheiser wireless ear buds (bluetooth). I recently started my car while listening to a podcast and my phone paired with the car's audio system and started playing it through the speakers! I have never had the option to do this in the past.

The truly bizarre part was my car was acting like this was a phone call, it popped up that I was calling my own phone, had the timer running, etc... It also messed up something on my iphone (xr) because after I left my car I could barely get any audio out of my speakers. I later restarted my iphone and since then have not been able stream through bluetooth. Any thoughts on what might have happened?​
I have the same issue with Bluetooth audio randomly not working. For some reason the Bluetooth "audio" option is shown as deselected in the iDrive bluetooth options screen. this happens randomly for some reason. When this happens my phone is still connected via Bluetooth but can only pick up phone calls and cannot stream music.

Two things you can do....you can simply select the Bluetooth audio option and reestablish the connection and ability to stream music. Or you can always erase your phone from iDrive and set up again as a new phone. This will also fix the issue.
'13 328i xDrive│Jet Black│BMS JB Stage 1│MPE│18" 400M & Conti DWS 06│DelVal BMW CCA #533245
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2019, 09:30 PM   #74
blinking
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphius1118 View Post
I have the same issue with Bluetooth audio randomly not working. For some reason the Bluetooth "audio" option is shown as deselected in the iDrive bluetooth options screen. this happens randomly for some reason. When this happens my phone is still connected via Bluetooth but can only pick up phone calls and cannot stream music.

Two things you can do....you can simply select the Bluetooth audio option and reestablish the connection and ability to stream music. Or you can always erase your phone from iDrive and set up again as a new phone. This will also fix the issue.
ive tried erasing my phone multiple times as well as new phones but i still cant get the bluetooth music streaming to work. could you walk me through how you did it so music streaming is possible? i also have a '13 328i xdrive model but none of the tech package stuff.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #75
Wolfie99
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 330i Touring, F31 320D

Hello, new here. We (my wife really) have just bought a nearly new F31 (may 19) with prof media. However, looking into what I can do I was surprised that I can't stream music/podcasts via Bluetooth. Are there any options to enable that?
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #76
jerlad
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinking View Post
New member here.

Has there been any updates on how to play music on a '13 328i through Bluetooth on an iPhone? I can get Bluetooth audio just fine so I can make calls and such but can no longer play music wirelessly. It was fine until a few years ago when iOS 9 or 10 came out.

I tried the search bar and saw that a few other people have had the issue too; however, I didn't see anything that explicitly says how to fix this.
This has been my experience as well with my iPhone7 with iOS 13 and my 2015 328d. The BMW dealership stated that this is a known problem and that the Bluetooth version in our cars is not compatible with our phones.

I have been able to work around this SOMETIMES by first connecting the phone via USB and while music is playing, disconnect the USB cable. A few seconds later, the phone connects via Bluetooth
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #77
jerlad
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328d

I think the ability to stream music from a bluetooth connected device is highly dependent on the device. I'm surprised that Wolfie99's new Bimmer has a problem with what I assume is a relatively new device.

In my 2015 328d, my iPhone7+ with iOS 13.1.2 does not connect well but my iPad Mini 2 with iOS 12.4.2 connects every time. In fact, I connect it to the DC power in the trunk and leave it there when I want to use it this way. (I also put it into Airplane mode before I leave the car so that it can't be discovered)
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2020, 10:50 PM   #78
cassettes
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive

Does anyone know of a way to retrofit a cassette player into a 2015 428i while retaining Bluetooth functionality as well?
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #79
pinheadplanet
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d

How to change the usb mode on a samsung galaxy s10+ so that I can connect via usb to use the BMW Connected App? That is the issue isn't it or is it something else?
Essentially when I plug it in it just charges the phone (I'm plugging it in the armrest usb port)?
Ta
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2020, 11:20 AM   #80
actonman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i

View music by artist

When I first hooked up my USB drive it was sorted by artist, something happened and now it's sorted by song, any ideas on how to go back to artist. FYI searching by artist doesn't help. Thanks
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #81
Vicho.Kong
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honda city

It seems that BMW assist make little help?
Anyway, I still love it.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2021, 11:48 AM   #82
ashen213
Registered
Rep
Drives: e88

BMW F30

HI, hope all is well
i need some urgent help on a bmw f30 320d,my child
managed to get coins in the headunit and that killed sound to
my speakers... i replaced the head unit with a used one.... i do have sound now
however cannot get the USB and BLUETOOTH functions to work any help will be
much appreciated....i have purchased a ESYS CABLE but have no idea how to install it tried a few times no luck.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #83
Harden
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mini Cooper S Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassettes View Post
Does anyone know of a way to retrofit a cassette player into a 2015 428i while retaining Bluetooth functionality as well?
Worst case, you could find a cassette player with bluetooth. I can't vouch for the quality but I have seen them on Amazon.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #84
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassettes View Post
Buy a walkman and plug it into the aux jack.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #85
Moos
jos
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330D F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam70 View Post
I dont have my 328i yet - still 2 months away, my 328i has the Professional Nav but not the extended Bluetooth/USB.
Based on what ive read I think the following is correct...let me know if ive missed anything...

My understanding are the the following options exist (except radio and CD):
1. USB Memory stick in arm rest USB
2. iPod/Iphone in arm rest with BMW Y cable (USB and 3.5mm Stereo)
3. Copy from USB to internal HDD using USB in glove box.
4. iPod/iPhone in arm rest USB with standard apple cable
5. Bluetooth streaming

To use the above options you need:
1. Any model
2. Any model
3. Only with Professional Nav
4. Only with Extended Bluetooth/USB
5. Only with Extended Bluetooth/USB

What i havnt been able toget a clear picture on is what different functionality exists for these 5 options.

Can anybody add details about how the 5 different methods vary from a user interface/features perspective.

Im interested in:
Are there differences in the controls
Are there differences in the display (including cover art)
Are playlists available

1. Playlists:Yes (Tricky?), Album art:No
2. Playlists:Yes, Album art:No
3. Playlists:Yes, Album art:Yes
4. Playlists:Yes, Album art:Yes, 2 phones active (for calls) at the same time
5. Playlists:Yes, Album art:? Probably not im guessing, 2 phones active (for calls) at the same time

Thanks to LAnderson23, Rob72
thank you for overview
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2021, 09:18 AM   #86
Moos
jos
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330D F30

Nav update Bmw F30 NBt

Hello

New to this forum but was reading several posts on how you guys were helping eachother to update nav maps. Currently on 2018-1 and interested to move on /update to 2022-1. All help for maps and getting a FSC is highly appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2021, 08:04 AM   #87
69fuk
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport GT

F34 BMW 320d M Sport GT No BT Audio

Hello All,

I have search tirelessly on the net and forum to get the answer to why BMW are always tight or extras on their cars. All I want is to be able to stream my music from my android to my radio head unit. I don't like doing it through cables.

Can the Idrive firmware be updated to enable the Bluetooth audio to show. All i have is the telephone, or do i simply go for a head unit with that option enabled? Some advices here looks complicated and i seen some techy companies charging a lot to do this. Or shoud i just replaced the whole unit with aftermkt MP3/Bluetooth unit ( those ones that slides out, dont really care if it covers the IDRive ugly looking screen)

Many Thanks
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2021, 08:38 AM   #88
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69fuk View Post
Hello All,

I have search tirelessly on the net and forum to get the answer to why BMW are always tight or extras on their cars. All I want is to be able to stream my music from my android to my radio head unit. I don't like doing it through cables.

Can the Idrive firmware be updated to enable the Bluetooth audio to show. All i have is the telephone, or do i simply go for a head unit with that option enabled? Some advices here looks complicated and i seen some techy companies charging a lot to do this. Or shoud i just replaced the whole unit with aftermkt MP3/Bluetooth unit ( those ones that slides out, dont really care if it covers the IDRive ugly looking screen)

Many Thanks
Based on what you shared above(I drive) ,

Pair phone, go to media. Choose external devices, choose phone name. Play music.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 1