F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Is it just me or is Apple Car Play crap...
GetBMWParts

08-17-2018, 05:01 AM   #1
S111SYA
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F30 320dM Sport Shadow Edition

Is it just me or is Apple Car Play crap...

Im assuming this has been covered numerous times before but, put bluntly, in my opinion, Apple car play is crap.

I spec'd it against some of the advice I had read on this forum as it was only £250 ish and it looked alright, I read the blurb on it and it seemed pretty good so went for it.

Problem is, it just doesn't work very well, it's rubbish for messages, almost every time i use it i'm told there has been a problem and I should try again later, if i ask it to read my unread messages it reads one and forgets the rest.

The WhatsApp integration is rubbish, if i ask it to send a message to my Mrs it goes through every single group she is included in, and then won't let me pick one. If someone has sent an image with some words, it just says 'image', nothing else.

It sporadically comes up with a blank screen, it disconnects itself whenever it wants and is just generally poor in operation.

I have a couple of my numerical shortcut keys programmed to call my Mrs or my office and they have now stopped working for phone numbers (Still work for nav destinations) which i'm assuming is linked to car play.

If it worked the way it should it would be a decent thing but it just doesn't.

Is it worth taking it in for a look at the dealership?

I don't think i'm just moaning for the sake of it here, it really does seem shit.

Im considering deactivating it and just using the standard idrive stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 05:21 AM   #2
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by S111SYA View Post
Im assuming this has been covered numerous times before but, put bluntly, in my opinion, Apple car play is crap.

I spec'd it against some of the advice I had read on this forum as it was only £250 ish and it looked alright, I read the blurb on it and it seemed pretty good so went for it.

Problem is, it just doesn't work very well, it's rubbish for messages, almost every time i use it i'm told there has been a problem and I should try again later, if i ask it to read my unread messages it reads one and forgets the rest.

The WhatsApp integration is rubbish, if i ask it to send a message to my Mrs it goes through every single group she is included in, and then won't let me pick one. If someone has sent an image with some words, it just says 'image', nothing else.

It sporadically comes up with a blank screen, it disconnects itself whenever it wants and is just generally poor in operation.

I have a couple of my numerical shortcut keys programmed to call my Mrs or my office and they have now stopped working for phone numbers (Still work for nav destinations) which i'm assuming is linked to car play.

If it worked the way it should it would be a decent thing but it just doesn't.

Is it worth taking it in for a look at the dealership?

I don't think i'm just moaning for the sake of it here, it really does seem shit.

Im considering deactivating it and just using the standard idrive stuff.
Agree re WhatsApp, their app is pretty shite for CarPlay functionality.

I'd recommend an iDrive software update (dealer only though) as it sorted out my issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 05:25 AM   #3
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I had it for a day in a courtesy car, I didn't have any technical issues but it was still shit!

Much better to have your phone mounted on the dash and use it direct!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 05:33 AM   #4
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

My car came with it (I didn't choose it) and I wasn't holding out much hope.

But now it's all I use - it all works seamlessly for me and I'm really surprised when I read these threads. Even more reliable than the previous Online Entertainment subscription I had in the old car which seems to flake out every few days.

Apple Music is spot on - including searching for stuff. Phone calls and texts are fine and I can even have WhatsApp messages read out (I tend not to send messages as I only use WhatsApp for groups which can normally wait).

I wonder if it's a version or specific phone thing. I have a 2016 ID5 with an iPhone 7+
sahajesh2294.00
      08-17-2018, 05:37 AM   #5
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Most of the people that moan about it are probably happy to use a stick-on phone and Waze.

I had problems with CarPlay initially but they were fixed via an iDrive software update and now, I wouldn't be without it.

You can use Apple Maps or iDrive for nav and shortly also be able to use Google Maps and Waze on CarPlay too.
Appreciate 1
DaveH28287.00
      08-17-2018, 05:39 AM   #6
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Most of the people that moan about it are probably happy to use a stick-on phone and Waze.

I had problems with CarPlay initially but they were fixed via an iDrive software update and now, I wouldn't be without it.

You can use Apple Maps or iDrive for nav and shortly also be able to use Google Maps and Waze on CarPlay too.
The maps thing is great actually.... look something up on your phone and select the icon to navigate with BMW Nav. Perfect.
      08-17-2018, 05:41 AM   #7
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M3CP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post

The maps thing is great actually.... look something up on your phone and select the icon to navigate with BMW Nav. Perfect.
Yeah forgot to add that - Apple Maps will send the destination to iDrive maps

Being able to dictate and have iMessages read back is good, where it does fail sometimes is Siri not being able to understand what's being said.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 05:56 AM   #8
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

I retrofited Carplay - the box works great but Carplay itself while not perfect still has far better Spotify, Traffic, Maps, REMAINING TIME TO DESTINANTION integration than whatever BMW could ever ship with my car. Google Maps and Waze coming soon to Carplay will only make it better.

See if the dealer can upgrade your system but sounds like some issues might just be how Carplay is meant to "work".

Last edited by x-m4n; 08-17-2018 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #9
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Its shit. Might be better when Waze is included when IOS 12 comes along
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #10
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Yeah i think its crap.... not integrated very well.... carplay maps, separate from nav maps etc.

Even with ios12 with waze access will be just as much as a waste imo.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #11
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f31 335d estoril blue

For me the idrive is superb as it is, very well integrated into the car..
CarPlay has its place, but personally for retrofitting to older cars and maybe cars without a very good infotainment system...
I have been using ford sync 2 in our 66 plate focus and it's nowhere near what VW were putting out in Passats in 2007..
I would deffo choose CarPlay,
But the development that goes into the idrive far outweighs a one size fits all CarPlay Solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #12
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Assume the touch screen works on the BMW version if you're ID6?
      08-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #13
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

New car, not happy? Back to the dealer. Tell them firmly it's not to your satisfaction and you'd like their help in clearing this up.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 12:00 AM   #14
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Question. With car play. Can I use google maps off my phone with the iDrive screen?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 12:15 AM   #15
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg_Capt_R View Post
Question. With car play. Can I use google maps off my phone with the iDrive screen?
iOS 12 allows this, with an update to the Google Maps app - give it 4-6 weeks and it should all be available.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00