F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Iphone new
Studio RSR

09-13-2018, 05:45 AM   #89
Zippee
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CP SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
If you don't understand why the user experience of device A vs device B makes a difference, there's no hope.

These things stopped being phones a long time ago, they are portable/personal computing devices and "phone" is generally a little-used function.

For those who value "phone" above other functionality, there is a class of device available or they will choose the cheapest/simplest device available.

Some people prefer Linux, others Windows or OSX - do you understand that analogy? :

Yes completely agree they simply arent phones any more. As you quite rightly say, the 'user experience' is very subjective. Having played around with the latest iPhones very recently, the user experience is almost exactly the same as an equivalent Android of good quality. For an object that has a very definite redundancy built in to it (two years max), I prefer not to buy in to the apple hype. Sure, they were pretty much the first to offer the smart phone as we know it today and I bought every single iPhone gen up to the 6. They used to be streets ahead but now they are not. And on that fact, I choose not to use iOS.

Have you used an Android 9 phone? iOS is generally a year behind what Android pushes out and the support and open plan of Android knocks Apple in to the last century.

(Hey, this is almost like the diesel v petrol, xDrive v RWD debates )
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2294.00
      09-13-2018, 05:48 AM   #90
Zippee
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I dare say there are some people who always get the latest iPhone as they can afford to (the monthlies, that is) and like to brag about it.

Those are the real twats of course!
Exclusively iPhone owners too.... Makes me laugh how they go in to full 'Steve Jobs keynote speech mode'. 'Hmm, nice phone but you didnt fucking invent it you tampon' is my reply.
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2294.00
      09-13-2018, 05:51 AM   #91
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_M4CP View Post
Quote:
If you don't understand why the user experience of device A vs device B makes a difference, there's no hope.

These things stopped being phones a long time ago, they are portable/personal computing devices and "phone" is generally a little-used function.

For those who value "phone" above other functionality, there is a class of device available or they will choose the cheapest/simplest device available.

Some people prefer Linux, others Windows or OSX - do you understand that analogy? :

Yes completely agree they simply arent phones any more. As you quite rightly say, the 'user experience' is very subjective. Having played around with the latest iPhones very recently, the user experience is almost exactly the same as an equivalent Android of good quality. For an object that has a very definite redundancy built in to it (two years max), I prefer not to buy in to the apple hype. Sure, they were pretty much the first to offer the smart phone as we know it today and I bought every single iPhone gen up to the 6. They used to be streets ahead but now they are not. And on that fact, I choose not to use iOS.

Have you used an Android 9 phone? iOS is generally a year behind what Android pushes out and the support and open plan of Android knocks Apple in to the last century.

(Hey, this is almost like the diesel v petrol, xDrive v RWD debates )
Not tried Android 9 tbh, although I do hear very good things about it.

I bounced between Android and iOS repeatedly a few years back but settled on iOS, partly as I have other Apple stuff at home, hence user experience, albeit an overall one than just the phone.

One of my friends went from a 7+ to a P20 Pro and loves it
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 05:58 AM   #92
Zippee
Banned
Rep

Yep, I went from a 6 to a P9 and didnt look back. Pixel 2 now. Android just works. Cast anything to any screen anywhere, completely personalisable (is there such a word??), battery life makes an iPhone's life look like a Mayfly, camera is epic (with augmented reality too) and sooo many more good apps on the Playstore. Google help is great too as you actually speak to a real person who deals with any prob you have. Sales pitch over.... move towards the light
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 06:05 AM   #93
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

Quote:

user experience you say? Until last update you didn't have notifications groupings on your 1000 pounds iPhone. Until X came along you opened dock swiping from bottom now you do it from top but only left corner wtf! No customization to layouts , no skins , no widgets. Try listening to music and charging phone at the same time? Hell of the user experirnce if you ask me.

Android is flawed too but at least they are honest about that and not feeding people with that ridicolous bullsh1t. Do you know capacity of new batteries in new iphones? Johny Ive just put finger in your anus and ching ching , another trillion for Apple
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 06:06 AM   #94
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Coming a bit late to this. I'm not planning to upgrade my iPhone 8 for a year, but it looks like all iPhone options are now materially bigger, and the most direct replacement, the XR, is a lot bigger and almost 50g heavier.

Doesn't sound a very sensible move by Apple. I am OK with the size of the ordinary 8, but will have to think twice about the XR2(!) or whatever the new version of the basic XR is called in 12 months. Presumably those with an iPhone SE currently, who clearly want a small phone are going to have an even bigger problem.

Seems odd not to offer an iPhone 8 size option
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 06:11 AM   #95
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

I hate apple products with a passion just because the vast majority of people who use them become so drawn into the hype and believe they are the innovators of everything. All of a sudden with a few apps or features they are tech gurus and anything you tell them is instantly dismissed.

I tried having a discussion with my sister about backing up photos on her iphone. Sure she does this to the icloud and pays however much a month to do this. I suggested that she didnt have to do that because there are other free alternatives such as google photos but I got the response "no. that doesnt work".

I tried explaining it. I told her the app was for android, iphone, mac, pc etc but still big fat no. She then said that her camera roll is available on her phone and her partners phone and stuff they all got backed up stayed together. After me showing her my parents phones that share the same camera backup on google photos she said "well, that probably wont work for us" and stuck her head in the sand.

The tech among the vast majority of top end phones is so close to being the same there is little reason to pay over the odds for something apple "just because it works". Do people think android phones don't work? Do people honestly think every single android user out there spends half of their day wishing their phone was easier or "just worked?"

I had a hardware fault with a phone so I called google who sent me a new one the next day. I had the new phone set up and looking the same as my previous phone with all apps, contacts etc within 15mins - lots of that time was pulling down the data for the apps.

Why can't people just accept that they bought an iphone to be cool rather than it doing so much more than an android phone?

I offered my 12 year old Niece a Samsung S6 that I had spare and she simply refused to take it as it wasn't an iphone. She was happy to wait X months before she was going to get given a shitty iphone4 or something. She also needed a laptop or a computer for school work and refused to take one of mine as it wasn't a mac.

When people refer to it as the "apple tax" I think they should just call it the "thick cunt tax"

I'm happy with my PixelXL as my personal phone and my Nexus 6 as my work phone. The 6 is old and big but it's been used daily for years and the only issue it has is with the OLED screen burn - I'd love a new phone but there is nothing in anything new at the moment that makes me need one. The tech difference between the PixelXL and PixelXL2 are so minute that you'll only notice the difference in benchmarks.
Appreciate 1
Ridg205.00
      09-13-2018, 06:22 AM   #96
Alice Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430dX M Sport

Quote:
I used to think that too when I had iPhones.

Now I have 'seen the light' and moved to Android, when I receive a text from an iPhone user, I often think 'what a shame, you're gullible'.

Yep agreed, you could apply the same philosophy to cars. But as most people see a car as a functional item and just want it to do its job of conveying them from A to B, I apply the same principle to phones.

What exactly does an iPhone excel in over the two Android phones I mentioned?
Integrates seamlessly with my iPad.
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      09-13-2018, 06:31 AM   #97
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-c View Post
Why can't people just accept that they bought an iphone to be cool rather than it doing so much more than an android phone?
You android boys are like religious zealots, which is usually the taunt thrown at Apple fans.

Is it really THAT hard to accept that some people prefer something different to you?

I've had eight or ten android phones over nine years and two iPhones over the last five - during which I have always had an android alongside. I was very late to the Apple party, as I thought they were a bit overpriced for the same functionality.

I use my android phone (currently a note8) for a couple of hours a day, and my iPhone 7 for maybe an hour. Where I have a choice of device, it's the iPhone I pick every time despite its inferior screen and camera.

The i7 has crashed or self-rebooted once in almost two years, I couldn't tell you how many times the Note has, because it's a routine event.

That's my preference, others using both phones may have a different one.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
sahajesh2294.00
strike4A513.00
      09-13-2018, 06:31 AM   #98
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I might consider the Xr, it has bigger screen & longer battery life than the X/Xs, and as far as I can see all you lose is the second lens and the OLED screen which I don't think is going to bother me!
Yup Xr for me. Needs to fit the wireless charge and ticks all the boxes. With trade in might get away with £400 long way from top spec crazy models.

Do we need OLED in phones? My old man eyes are happy with LED.
      09-13-2018, 06:46 AM   #99
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
You android boys are like religious zealots, which is usually the taunt thrown at Apple fans.

Is it really THAT hard to accept that some people prefer something different to you?

I've had eight or ten android phones over nine years and two iPhones over the last five - during which I have always had an android alongside. I was very late to the Apple party, as I thought they were a bit overpriced for the same functionality.

I use my android phone (currently a note8) for a couple of hours a day, and my iPhone 7 for maybe an hour. Where I have a choice of device, it's the iPhone I pick every time despite its inferior screen and camera.

The i7 has crashed or self-rebooted once in almost two years, I couldn't tell you how many times the Note has, because it's a routine event.

That's my preference, others using both phones may have a different one.
I'd say thats a problem with something you've got installed.
My Nexus 6 hasn't rebooted in months. My 6p has either never crashed or never that I can remember. Its rebooted due to having numerous updates.

I can accept that people prefer something different but the excuses given for the different thing are what gets me.

If someone tells me that Levi jeans are far superior to another pair of cheap shitty jeans and all they need them for is to cover their legs then they are idiots. If they say they are happy to pay extra because they look better then that is fine too. If they claim they are better made, sure.

Its just when people pay the extra and have no idea why they are doing it that really gets me and lots of people do this just to have a device that their friends have.

I personally NEED at least one rooted android phone because for me an iphone has limits to what it can do. If the iphone was as cheap as the equivalent android I'd probably have bought one for the missus.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 07:09 AM   #100
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Looking at what's actually on offer and the inflated Apple UK price, Im happy with my current iPhone 7 until I need to upgrade for 5G
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #101
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Blimey, its like walking in to a Flat Earth Society meeting.

I can't believe people are still buying in to Apples marketing and spending that much money.

Android; Huawei or Pixel.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT9DPh...ONiM/giphy.gif
I do agree the recent £1k and up pricing is ridiculous, but in reality the Xr at £750 is the same phone with a larger screen.

Compared to the Galaxy S9+ it has virtually the same size screen in a smaller form factor and is £120 less! Yes the Galaxy has an Amoled screen, but honestly the LCD on even my iPhone 7 is more than the resolution the human eye is capable of seeing. But of course the Xr has a much more powerful processor and more stable OS.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      09-13-2018, 07:39 AM   #102
Zippee
Banned
Rep

Samsung are just as bad as iPhones. They are shite because of all the Samsung bloatware they have on them. Overpriced fashion accessory.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #103
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Coupe View Post
Use a Cloud service rather than your phone. It's a step change but once you get used to it, everything is available and backed up all the time and you don't need to fork out for memory.
Tried it for a couple of months a few years back (out of desperation as ran out of memory)

Problem was slow/ relied on data.

I have a synology NAS drive with over 24TB which i use for cloud services to back my stuff up... but just rather have it all on my phone was ease and convenience.... and usually sell them off and the larger memory phones seem yo hold their value equally well so no really hassle apart from the initial outlay.

Athough no idea what i’d do with 512gb be like a kid in a sweet shop!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #104
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
I do agree the recent £1k and up pricing is ridiculous, but in reality the Xr at £750 is the same phone with a larger screen.

Compared to the Galaxy S9+ it has virtually the same size screen in a smaller form factor and is £120 less! Yes the Galaxy has an Amoled screen, but honestly the LCD on even my iPhone 7 is more than the resolution the human eye is capable of seeing. But of course the Xr has a much more powerful processor and more stable OS.
It's not just about the physical size of the screen though, the XR only has a slightly better than 720p screen .. who pays £750 for a phone that's not even 1080p in 2018. The Galaxy S9+ has 2k
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #105
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Quote:

It's not just about the physical size of the screen though, the XR only has a slightly better than 720p screen .. who pays £750 for a phone that's not even 1080p in 2018. The Galaxy S9+ is 2k
It's all meaningless when the human eye can't see any difference thought! (and actually the iPhone Xr screen is 828P)

Sure if you stretch 720p out to a 50 inch TV screen you can see the difference but at 326 DPI an iPhone Xr screen has almost double the DPI of even an 8K 50 inch TV!!

If you think there is any need for more than 720p resolution on a tiny 6 inch phone screen then you have fallen hook line and sinker for the marketing bullshit!
Appreciate 2
sahajesh2294.00
      09-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #106
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
It's all meaningless when the human eye can't see any difference thought! (and actually the iPhone Xr screen is 828P)

Sure if you stretch 720p out to a 50 inch TV screen you can see the difference but at 326 DPI an iPhone Xr screen has almost double the DPI of even an 8K 50 inch TV!!

If you think there is any need for more than 720p resolution on a tiny 6 inch phone screen then you have fallen hook line and sinker for the marketing bullshit!
It's still budget phone resolution in 2018 in an overpriced phone. Only Apple would be so bold. I guess it wouldn't be quite so bad if Apples Dollar > pound conversion was a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #107
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:

I did wonder about this too. My iPad Pro 10.5, which I think is still the current model has 264 pixels per inch and I'm not aware of any lack of sharpness. My iPhone 8 and the new XR has 326 ppi. You do hold an iPhone slightly closer than an iPad, but I still can't imagine getting any benefit from a higher resolution?

The 720p type of measure is fairly meaningless, when comparing with a TV. It's ppi which (up to a point) is relevant. Just that point is somewhere below 326ppi to my eyes at least.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #108
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I did wonder about this too. My iPad Pro 10.5, which I think is still the current model has 264 pixels per inch and I'm not aware of any lack of sharpness. My iPhone 8 and the new XR has 326 ppi. You do hold an iPhone slightly closer than an iPad, but I still can't imagine getting any benefit from a higher resolution?

The 720p type of measure is fairly meaningless, when comparing with a TV. Its ppi which (up to a point) is relevant.
you'll fit more on the screen
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #109
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Quote:

It's still budget phone resolution in 2018 in an overpriced phone. Only Apple would be so bold. I guess it wouldn't be quite so bad if Apples Dollar > pound conversion was a lot better.
But, as I say, the human eye can't see the difference in the resolution so why does it matter?

OLED does have A much better contrast ratio than LCD however, which is slightly noticeable to the human eye, but really why does it matter on a phone, I personally don't watch videos or view photos on my phone, I do all of that on my iPad
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #110
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
But, as I say, the human eye can't see the difference in the resolution so why does it matter?

OLED does have A much better contrast ratio than LCD however, which is slightly noticeable to the human eye, but really why does it matter on a phone, I personally don't watch videos or view photos on my phone, I do all of that on my iPad
It's not just what detail the eye can see though, ..the higher the resolution the more that can fit on the same size screen. The XS has a slightly smaller screen than the XR but the higher resolution more than compensates for this.
Appreciate 0