F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Regarding changes in wheel size and weight
ARMA SPEED

12-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
Cpatel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N26 328i

Regarding changes in wheel size and weight

I live around a lamborghini dealership and was window shopping yesterday evening and someone came in with a merci with aftermarket rims into the service station. the car reported malfunctions and damages to drivetrain and transmission. They immediately diagnosed it to the 20inch rims he had on it.

Does putting bigger and heavier wheels on a BMW do the same damage? What are the size and weight limits of the wheels? Does anyone have information on this?
I was thinking of putting on some 19 inch BBS rims and comparing it to the OEM (17 inch) wheels the car came with, its a considerable amount of weight added on.

ALSO. If you throw on larger wheels, wouldn't it affect the speedo and odometer? The readings would be incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:00 PM   #2
Spielzeugauto
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 Touring

Wheel size has nothing to do with speedometer reading. That is solely determined by tire diameter, which you would select to be close to stock.

OEM wheels are usually heavier than aftermarket so that's rarely a problem either. Massively increasing the unsprung weight is not a good idea, but you'd really have to be trying.
Appreciate 0