F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Intermediate iDrive Bluetooth issue
ARMA SPEED

03-13-2023, 03:55 PM   #1
335inYEG
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I Alpine white

Intermediate iDrive Bluetooth issue

Hey everyone, i recently picked up a 2013 F30 335i and love it, however sometimes the bluetooth audio glitches and does not function regardless if i restart the car, lock/unlock the doors or restart my iphone 12.

What happens is..
-It connects to my iphone 12
-iDrive is showing its playing a song but i'm unable to go forward or backwards.
-When i change a song on my Iphone it changes and says its playing on the BMW but its not..
-When this issue happens, upon first connection for a split second you can hear the music from the iPhone before its just silence.

As potential solutions, I've:
-Unpaired the iPhone 12 and f30, repaired.
-Press & hold the volume button down to hard reset iDrive.

I'm thinking maybe the bluebooth module is bad?
Attached Images

Last edited by 335inYEG; 03-13-2023 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 09:23 AM   #2
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330e

Have you tried updating the car's Bluetooth compatibility?
You can download the update + instructions on bmw.com/update
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 11:37 AM   #3
335inYEG
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian204 View Post
Have you tried updating the car's Bluetooth compatibility?
You can download the update + instructions on bmw.com/update
Hello i have tried by inputting my VIN number in their website however it says that there is no later update
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 04:33 AM   #4
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep

I don't completely trust the BMW update website as it keeps saying there's an update available for my car, even though I've already installed that update last year. But it was the only thing I could think of since I don't really have any experience with this issue, sorry.

I'd assume if the Bluetooth module really is faulty, related error codes would show up if you scan the car for fault codes.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 07:37 AM   #5
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Its more likely an issue with the car not playing nicely with the phone. All of the BMW iDrive updates from their website are all "fixed compatibility issues with iPhone"

My 2008 had issues like that with the one Android phone I had. It wouldn't end a call and then get stuck in a weird silence state until I power cycled the phone.

Have you tried just power cycling the phone when this happens and see if it comes back up and connects fine again? Might be a software issue in the iPhone that needs to get reset for it to heal itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 11:34 AM   #6
335inYEG
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian204 View Post
I don't completely trust the BMW update website as it keeps saying there's an update available for my car, even though I've already installed that update last year. But it was the only thing I could think of since I don't really have any experience with this issue, sorry.

I'd assume if the Bluetooth module really is faulty, related error codes would show up if you scan the car for fault codes.
Ahh i see! I bet there are updates for this car, how did you end up updating it even though BMW's website said no further updates?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 11:36 AM   #7
335inYEG
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Its more likely an issue with the car not playing nicely with the phone. All of the BMW iDrive updates from their website are all "fixed compatibility issues with iPhone"

My 2008 had issues like that with the one Android phone I had. It wouldn't end a call and then get stuck in a weird silence state until I power cycled the phone.

Have you tried just power cycling the phone when this happens and see if it comes back up and connects fine again? Might be a software issue in the iPhone that needs to get reset for it to heal itself.
Hmm yeah i've tried power cycling the phone and the car a few times sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. A solution that another member suggested that seems to work so far is press mode on the steering wheel to go back n fourth between bluetooth audio and fm radio, i did this a few times and it worked! So far this has been the temp fix for now
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 02:59 AM   #8
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335inYEG View Post
Ahh i see! I bet there are updates for this car, how did you end up updating it even though BMW's website said no further updates?

Thank you
When I got the car I checked the software version in the car. Then I checked that website and downloaded the update, installed it and checked the version in the car again, and it was newer than before the update. However, whenever I check that website now it still says update available, and shows the update which I've already installed.

There's some more people having issues with this in this thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1411334

The only solution I've seen is taking your car to the dealer and asking for a software update because your Bluetooth isn't working properly. However, I have no idea what that would cost if you're out of warranty.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 12:45 PM   #9
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

My BT connection was always iffy. I run a police scanner app, and the car seemed to be very sensitive as to whether the app was already running without BT switched on in the 'phone. If I started the car and then turned on the BT on the 'phone, it could take a few cycles of messing with the iDrive selections to get the audio from the 'phone to appear on the stereo.

Things improved markedly after the last couple of iOS updates on my iPhone 11 Pro.
Appreciate 0