F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > CarPlay without Antenna - NBT Evo Q
proTUNING Freaks

09-13-2022, 03:18 PM   #1
Slashbored
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d Coupe

CarPlay without Antenna - NBT Evo Q

Hi all,

Can I enable CarPlay on my 2017 420D without the WiFi antenna being installed?

I've seen some people online selling the activation needed for it via ENET cable (which I've got), are there any recommended places to get it done that aren't super expensive?

Thanks,
Slash!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 04:12 PM   #2
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
You need the antenna. If you retrofit CarPlay to the head-unit software only, without installing the antenna, then pairing with your phone will fail.

I avoided installing the antenna, but relented in the end because of above.
      09-13-2022, 05:56 PM   #3
Slashbored
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
You need the antenna. If you retrofit CarPlay to the head-unit software only, without installing the antenna, then pairing with your phone will fail.

I avoided installing the antenna, but relented in the end because of above.
Thanks for the reply!

I've been putting it off as I know I'll end up breaking something trying to install it myself

I'll have to bite the bullet and give it a try! Thanks for confirming though, it's hugely appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 06:45 AM   #4
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

You can have it all done and back together in 10-15 minutes, it's pretty straightforward. Pull the air vent trim off and get a towel or something to rest it on in front of the iDrive screen - I don't even bother disconnecting the cables for the hazard light and air temp control, just have a towel covering the screen and dash area so nothing can get marked. Then undo the two torx T20 screws above the climate panel. If the trim looks like it'll fall or get in the way then just rest it back in where it's meant to be so it isn't going anywhere.

Pop the trim off underneath the climate panel, it just pulls out, and undo the other 2 screws. With those removed, the climate panel lifts off and there's 1 connector so just disconnect that and put it aside, then you can clearly see the HU. Just put another towel or similar over your cup holder/gear selector area, undo the 2 torx screws holding the HU in and pull it out. You don't even need to disconnect any wires, just pull it out enough to get to the antenna connector and plug it in then put it all back. Honestly you can't really go wrong especially if you don't even bother disconnecting any wires.

I've just got a small antenna plugged into mine, it's a connector with about 10cm of cable coming out of it and that's it, so nothing else to route anywhere else in the car (although there are other types if you want to go that route). Just plugged it into the Evo unit and left it behind the HU and it's all working perfectly.

Last edited by Zheez; 09-14-2022 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 07:54 AM   #5
Dpwhit3
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Msport

I agree- the antenna is needed. I tried to connect my phone after unlocking CarPlay and it just wouldn't connect. Once I installed the antenna, I didn't have any issues.

I was also worried about taking the dash apart because it seems like it never goes back together correctly. I bought a generic trim removal kit off Amazon and everything went smoothly coming apart and popped back together easily. Watch a couple YouTube videos to see where the snaps are and lightly pry around those areas
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 02:49 AM   #6
Gordrinne2
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpwhit3 View Post
I agree- the antenna is needed. I tried to connect my phone after unlocking CarPlay and it just wouldn't connect. Once I installed the antenna, I didn't have any issues.

I was also worried about taking the dash apart because it seems like it never goes back together correctly. I bought a generic trim removal kit off Amazon and everything went smoothly coming apart and popped back together easily. Watch a couple YouTube videos to see where the snaps are and lightly pry around those areas
Does Carplay need a seperate antenna for bluetooth and one for wifi installing? or is it just wifi that is required?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 09:10 PM   #7
TX552
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 21 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordrinne2 View Post
Does Carplay need a seperate antenna for bluetooth and one for wifi installing? or is it just wifi that is required?
Only WiFi.
Appreciate 0