F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F36 Cabin Filter
proTUNING Freaks

06-15-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
F36 Cabin Filter

I need to replace the cabin filter in my '16 F36, but wondering what is the best one to buy, or if they're all the same. I.e., are the cheap $15-20 ones legit? I see some with activated charcoal, some regular looking ones... Any recommendations?
      06-15-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Also, if I change it, will the vehicle recognize the new filter? I'm just wondering if the dealer will keep telling me it needs to be changed because they don't have a record of it being changed by them, or if the computer will indicate that it's been replaced already.
      06-15-2021, 02:46 PM   #3
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4CP & 2017 440i GC

It's not expensive, buy OEM if you can. For the same reason, it's all right if the dealer change it again at service time. The car can't tell whether the filter has been changed or not, unless you tell it.
(I think the same way about changing the oil myself when necessary. I don't record the change in the service history, as if I never changed it and let it record only the official service by the dealer.)
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2021, 02:56 PM   #4
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
The quality of the filter is up to you...if you just want to make sure it keeps large dust particles out, the cheapest of the bunch works fine. If you want to make sure it filters out allergens, you'll want to step up a grade or two. If you want to make sure absolutely everything, including smells, never reaches the cabin, you'll want to step up further to the charcoal filters. The automatic recirculate does a good job of keeping offensive odors out already, so I generally don't worry about much other than the particulates. I wouldn't worry about that, either, except some of my passengers have allergies.

Very simple and easy job to DIY, and your car has absolutely no idea what's going on with the cabin filter, so no coding or resets required. Would definitely recommend DIY if you can, the dealer charged me $190 to change the thing. Could have done it myself for $20.

Appreciate 2
      06-15-2021, 03:12 PM   #5
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post
The quality of the filter is up to you...if you just want to make sure it keeps large dust particles out, the cheapest of the bunch works fine. If you want to make sure it filters out allergens, you'll want to step up a grade or two. If you want to make sure absolutely everything, including smells, never reaches the cabin, you'll want to step up further to the charcoal filters. The automatic recirculate does a good job of keeping offensive odors out already, so I generally don't worry about much other than the particulates. I wouldn't worry about that, either, except some of my passengers have allergies.

Very simple and easy job to DIY, and your car has absolutely no idea what's going on with the cabin filter, so no coding or resets required. Would definitely recommend DIY if you can, the dealer charged me $190 to change the thing. Could have done it myself for $20.
Excellent, just what I needed. Thanks for the lesson! I don't mind taking it to the dealer for oil service, but for the cabin filter, I would much rather do it myself.
      06-15-2021, 06:41 PM   #6
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

My assumption is that F36 cabin filter DIY is the same as F30 job, which takes 15 mins if experienced. The first time took my 45 mins. as the panel had to be aligned exactly one way.

The BMW cabin filter for F30 is around $25-35, and it is tied to brake fluid service.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2021, 07:36 PM   #7
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

I used this on my F30:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/cab...r-cto-80004354

Identical to OEM, is charcoal, but doesn't have the BMW stamp. I got it for $8! When I bought the filter from the dealer I paid $89 (just the filter no install)

Idk what the F36 needs, but if it's the same, than I would recommend it.

Price isn't everything.
      06-15-2021, 08:25 PM   #8
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post
I used this on my F30:

Identical to OEM, is charcoal, but doesn't have the BMW stamp. I got it for $8! When I bought the filter from the dealer I paid $89 (just the filter no install)

Price isn't everything.
Damn that's awesome! I just picked up a basic one from AutoZone for now so I could get a new filter in since it's overdue, and it was one of the only ones I could pick up locally today. Figured I'll order a better quality one online later on.
      06-15-2021, 08:30 PM   #9
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSilver_ View Post
Quote:
I used this on my F30:

Price isn't everything.
Damn that's awesome! I just picked up a basic one from AutoZone for now so I could get a new filter in since it's overdue, and it was one of the only ones I could pick up locally today. Figured I'll order a better quality one online later on.
Ya there's some good deals out there for sure. Just go for OE in place of OEM. Same thing, same supplier, same factory, just a different logo on it.
      06-15-2021, 08:48 PM   #10
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I used this on my F30:

Price isn't everything.
I tried the corteco cabin filter. The one I got had thinner pleats(e.g. 35%?) than BMW ones.

That is not bad given the price, except the plastic frame banged on the enclosure over bumps, and that drove me nuts!

So I swapped that out with genuine BMW one for $25 for peace and quiet.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:56 PM   #11
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSilver_ View Post
Do note that the non-BMW ones tend to not bend/fit like the BMW ones, so the cabin filter may not sit tight in the enclosure(i.e. air leaks), and/or plastic frame may bang on enclosure(annoying), so buyers beware.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 09:24 PM   #12
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

This is what I bought for my F30:
https://www.amazon.com/TYC-800195C-R...3810014&sr=8-3

No issues with bending to install (I do know some do). Just keep in mind whatever you pick, BMW DOES NOT make filters. They find a supplier, ask them to but a really expensive B M W stamp on them.

I don't know what their cabin filter supplier is, but they do use Mann for other things like oil filters.

BMW has one of the oddest installs for a cabin filter. On Honda's they just pop straight into place. On the F30, it's bend and then rotated up to get it in there. Not impossible, and watching a quick video will make it pretty clear. Mine took a bit longer the first time since the dealership removed the airbag bolt, and then used that to secure the plastic bottom cover (all wrong BTW).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #13
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Quote:
I used this on my F30:

Price isn't everything.
I tried the corteco cabin filter. The one I got had thinner pleats(e.g. 35%?) than BMW ones.

That is not bad given the price, except the plastic frame banged on the enclosure over bumps, and that drove me nuts!

Maybe we are talking about different ones. I scrutinized the two and they looked completely identical. I couldn't tell any difference between the two other than the logo. The feel, the texture, the appearance, material, etc. Installed just the same.
      06-15-2021, 10:01 PM   #14
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Contorting a cabin air filter for installation is sadly not unique to BMW, and is becoming commonplace. My last car basically required crushing the filter flat from end to end and I guess hoping it would expand back to full size once you shoved it in there.

I wouldn’t spend more than $30 on a cabin filter. Rock Auto has the extra-lux air filtration examples (even filters germs) for around that price. The above poster is correct, BMW manufacturers no filters of any kind themselves. Don’t be fooled into paying them more so they can slap a stamp on someone else’s product.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 10:07 PM   #15
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I used this on my F30:

Price isn't everything.

Possibly also worth mentioning that Corteco is OE for BMW.

It's like buying the BMW engine oil filter. The MANN hu816x is exactly the same.

BMW does not manufacture any of their filters. They rely on suppliers.
Wires1657.50
      06-15-2021, 10:17 PM   #16
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Contorting a cabin air filter for installation is sadly not unique to BMW, and is becoming commonplace. My last car basically required crushing the filter flat from end to end and I guess hoping it would expand back to full size once you shoved it in there.

I wouldn't spend more than $30 on a cabin filter. Rock Auto has the extra-lux air filtration examples (even filters germs) for around that price. The above poster is correct, BMW manufacturers no filters of any kind themselves. Don't be fooled into paying them more so they can slap a stamp on someone else's product.
I completely agree. It's just an air filter for the cabin.

If I had allergies, than an advanced filter might make sense to me in that case. But for keeping dust, pollen, and other things, lots of filters can do a good job.
      06-15-2021, 10:49 PM   #17
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:

It's like buying the BMW engine oil filter. The MANN hu816x is exactly the same.

The Corteco OE cabin filter(bought from fcpeuro) I got had plastic ends, do yours have those? The rigid ends were inflexible, and didn't sit slug in the enclosure, and rattled like crazy, plus not as much filter material.

Similar issue was experienced with my F30 Fuyao side glass. The first Fuyao without BMW marking squeaked and had vertical lines, while the 2nd Fuyao from BMW dealer fit like a glove with no defect.

My take is that OE (non genuine BMW) is not guaranteed to have identical spec.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 10:57 PM   #18
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Just go for OE in place of OEM..
I think u meant OE versus genuine BMW, as fcpeuro defines OEM as:

"....produced by a manufacturer that supplies at least one OE part to a vehicle manufacturer. OEM parts may not have been original to the car, but are held to higher-quality standards and stringent quality control."

BTW, this is an interesting clip comparing BMW star vs. non BMW PS4S from Michelin, genuine BMW PS4S is designed to a different spec to non BMW PS4S.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 10:59 PM   #19
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The Corteco OE cabin filter(bought from fcpeuro) I got had plastic ends, do yours have those? The rigid ends were inflexible, and didn't sit slug in the enclosure, and rattled like crazy, plus not as much filter material.

Similar issue was experienced with my F30 Fuyao side glass. The first Fuyao without BMW marking squeaked and had vertical lines, while the 2nd Fuyao from BMW dealer fit like a glove with no defect.

Ya, I would be annoyed with that as well. I understand your perspective.

To be honest, mine was identical to the part I bought from the dealer. One was $8, the other was $89. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

Hope you have better part endeavours next time.
      06-15-2021, 11:05 PM   #20
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I suspect your issue was with the installer, not the product itself. A lot of technicians will buy B grade products for the cost savings, and on top of that don’t always know what they are doing. A BMW dealer of course, will follow neither path.

A Fuyao window or Mann filter is produced by the same machinery in the same factory whether it has a BMW stamp or not. BMW, of course, only allows A grade units to put their stamp on. Rejects that are fully functional, but may have cosmetic or other ‘first world’ issues are sold at a heavy discount.

Buy your parts from a reputable source (Rock Auto, FCP Euro, etc), and there shouldn’t be an issue. They also source A grade parts, but don’t surcharge for the brand label.

Appreciate 1
      06-15-2021, 11:07 PM   #21
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hope you have better part endeavours next time.
Thanks! Yeah hunting for quality parts can be part of the fun.

E.g. several years ago I got news the dealers sold BMW air filters for $5, and wiper sets for $10, and brake pad sets for $30. Naturally I loaded up big time.

The cheapest BMW cabin filters were from eBay@$25, it was risky but the markings and pleat counts, thickness, heights, frame build, and hologram logo(on the box) all checked out.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:17 PM   #22
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I suspect your issue was with the installer, not the product itself. A lot of techniA Fuyao window or Mann filter is produced by the same machinery in the same factory whether it has a BMW stamp or not. BMW, of course, only allows A grade units to put their stamp on. Rejects that are fully functional, but may have cosmetic or other ‘first world’ issues are sold at a heavy discount.
Yes your point of A grade or otherwise is spot on. E.g. that B/C grade Fuyao glass had a slight curve at the top edge that rubbed into the rubber grommet, and didn't sit flush to the frame while fully closed. That slight gap created an air pocket that squealed at highway speed.
Appreciate 0