F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d Xdrive black smoke and strong exhaust smell
Studio RSR

08-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
C0nn0r91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d m sport xdrive

335d Xdrive black smoke and strong exhaust smell

Hi all,

Another question from me, since i only acquired the car last week and you'll all have more experience than me with this particular model.

When idling and revving when stationary there is a very strong diesel exhaust smell and black smoke when revved.

The same black smoke can be seen if floored when driving, or anything past about 3/4 throttle. The exhaust tips are sooty after a short drive!

I can see the DPF is fitted, can't tell whether it's been gutted or not, although there is a black braided line (centre of the photo) which i assume to be the pressure sensor tubing, it looks kinked, would this effect anything?

20180824_181401 by Connor B, on Flickr

Do these engine's have a Cat as well or just the DPF?

The MOT passed very recently and the emissions/ smoke levels were very low.

I don't think the engine has been remapped, although it is the same speed as my brothers EVO 5.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on possible things to check?
I've driven on motorways when collecting the car and kept it around 3000rpm for 20 or so miles to try and get the dpf to regenerate. No difference.
MPG so far when calculating myself manually is 46.7mpg which is very good.

Thanks,
Connor.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Crikey mate, where did you get this car? Did you put the twin exhaust, wheels and M Performance kit on it?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
C0nn0r91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Crikey mate, where did you get this car? Did you put the twin exhaust, wheels and M Performance kit on it?
I got it from up North,
No i didn't put any of those things on the car unfortunately, otherwise i'd know more about it haha. The twin exhausts is just a backbox with the tips modified from what i can see.

Mileage is nearly 32,000 if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 05:35 PM   #4
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

There should be no smoke at all.

Something is very wrong, maybe the cars been mapped to high and the DPF is removed.

Either way there should be no black smoke
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

I'm no expert, but its probably been re-mapped. Someone has spent an awful lot of time and money on that car. A re-map would be a logical modification as well.

That probably explains the smoke and the high MPG.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #6
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

There should be no smoke at all.

Something is very wrong, maybe the cars been mapped too high and the DPF is removed.

Either way there should be no black smoke
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0nn0r91 View Post
I got it from up North,
No i didn't put any of those things on the car unfortunately, otherwise i'd know more about it haha. The twin exhausts is just a backbox with the tips modified from what i can see.

Mileage is nearly 32,000 if that helps.
So with that amount of modifications it’s very possible the internals of the DPF have been removed.

Also it looks like it has illegal tints on the front side windows?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #8
C0nn0r91
Enlisted Member
Rep

From what i've read on different forums it doesn't feel like it's been remapped but it's certainly what i thought considering the smoke when under hard acceleration.

I'm not going to be able to tell if the DPF internals have been removed without taking the DPF off.

The tints do look illegal and i'll most likely end up removing them, they're lighter than the rear side windows but still a little too dark at night, really.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #9
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
So with that amount of modifications it’s very possible the internals of the DPF have been removed.

Also it looks like it has illegal tints on the front side windows?
I think that's just the lighting or something on the one photo .. on the next photo the windows don't look dark at all to me.

Agree it sounds like the intervals of the DPF have been removed.. I would get that checked out.
Appreciate 2
      08-26-2018, 12:40 AM   #10
Steveo.G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Performance

Garage List
2016 F30 335d  [0.00]
I'd say mapped with the dpf gutted too mate.
My 535d had dpf removed and mapped and you get the same smell and smoke from it.
I had an Evo 5 at the same time ( car I actually owned twice lol) and I'd say it was similar speed to my 335d that I've just fitted a DTUK box to.
I'm just starting with some mods to my car and the first thing I wanted was better performance and handling so looking at your car I'd say the previous owner would have possibly been of the same mindset.
My friend who is an MOT tester had said that the new software has been fitted to his emissions testing equipment in his garage and I'm guessing that would be able to detect wether or not your dpf has been removed so if you know someone who could stick your car on one then this could be a potential easier way to find out rather than removing dpf to try and find out??... Not 100% sure thats going to give you the answer though as I don't know how well these new emissions tests are at detecting this
      08-26-2018, 02:13 AM   #11
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Private or trade sale?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 03:18 AM   #12
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Hi all,

Another question from me, since i only acquired the car last week and you'll all have more experience than me with this particular model.

When idling and revving when stationary there is a very strong diesel exhaust smell and black smoke when revved.

The same black smoke can be seen if floored when driving, or anything past about 3/4 throttle. The exhaust tips are sooty after a short drive!

I can see the DPF is fitted, can't tell whether it's been gutted or not, although there is a black braided line (centre of the photo) which i assume to be the pressure sensor tubing, it looks kinked, would this effect anything?

[img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1819/...3550d507_c.jpg[/img]20180824_181401 by Connor B, on Flickr

Do these engine's have a Cat as well or just the DPF?

The MOT passed very recently and the emissions/ smoke levels were very low.

I don't think the engine has been remapped, although it is the same speed as my brothers EVO 5.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on possible things to check?
I've driven on motorways when collecting the car and kept it around 3000rpm for 20 or so miles to try and get the dpf to regenerate. No difference.
MPG so far when calculating myself manually is 46.7mpg which is very good.

Thanks,
Connor.
That blue zippy tie is certainly evidence that someone has been tinkering and the DPF should still be effective in a mapped car - don't recall guys noting any smoke whatsoever even with a fairly aggressive map - so it may have been removed... I assume the MOT was pre-reg changes as it sounds like it would fail as it is now? When did you buy it? - I don't know but I would have thought whoever sold it has to take some responsibility?

Hopefully DPF is OK and it is something else like the map that is causing it but it looks like something physical has been done - which I guess could just be a tuning box fitted and removed... Rossiters should be able to advise on this too
      08-26-2018, 06:12 AM   #13
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Not meaning to be rude, but the steering isn't right, the suspension isn't right, it kicks out black smoke and you can smell diesel. Did you not notice any of these when you test drove the car?
Appreciate 1
Hooded1669.00
      08-26-2018, 08:05 AM   #14
C0nn0r91
Enlisted Member
Rep

To answer a few questions.

The car was bought from a dealership who have many cars including high end ones. They said they have owned the car previously and did contact the previous owner to see if any mods were carried out. They weren't in his possession so they can't go any further than that.

The mot was done under the new laws no less than 2 weeks ago. Apparently the mot station are really strict and like I said the results show very low on the smoke test.

The steering is just me not being used to electric power steering, it's the suspension that isn't right. And from what a lot of people say the standard suspension (if this is standard) isn't brilliant. I was reading a car review by a magazine regarding the 335d xdrive and they mention the same thing about the steering and the spring to centre kind of feel.

There is no diesel fuel smell, it's diesel exhaust fumes I can smell and black smoke when being floored and when revving up stationary with a lot of throttle.

When I test drove the car because its new to me I wasn't concentrating on whether I could see black smoke or not, I was more concerned with looking after an expensive car. The suspension did feel a little harsh and I mentioned it at the time. It felt no different to another one I'd driven, albeit it wasn't driven fast or over really bumpy roads. Its difficult on test drives to pick up all the small problems and you only get to know a car when you're in it daily. From my experience.

Thanks,
Connor.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 08:10 AM   #15
330XDave
Major
Rep

Have you thought about going back to the dealer with any of these issues?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 08:14 AM   #16
C0nn0r91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
Of course, I phoned them up yesterday and that's when they contacted the previous owner. He (dealer) said the car felt no different to drive than any other ones he's been in. And mentioned about the mot station being strict regarding the emissions. He did try and say that m sports had firmer suspension so I corrected him that the xdrives have SE suspension.

I'm not sure what else I can do really.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 08:22 AM   #17
330XDave
Major
Rep

Quote:
Of course, I phoned them up yesterday and that's when they contacted the previous owner. He (dealer) said the car felt no different to drive than any other ones he's been in. And mentioned about the mot station being strict regarding the emissions. He did try and say that m sports had firmer suspension so I corrected him that the xdrives have SE suspension.

Go back and show him the black smoke? I assume you had some sort of warranty with it?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #18
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:

You are taking the word of a used car dealer?

If he is so confident the car passed the MOT without the old switcheroo trick that used car dealers and their pet MOT testers use, ask if he is happy to have an independent MOT done with you being present. ANY smoke is an immediate fail.

Good luck
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2018, 08:31 AM   #19
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

How long ago did you buy it? If less than a month take it back and demand your money back.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      08-26-2018, 08:39 AM   #20
C0nn0r91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Go back and show him the black smoke? I assume you had some sort of warranty with it?
I don't believe there is a warranty with the car. One wasn't mentioned. It was purchased on finance through them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
You are taking the word of a used car dealer?

If he is so confident the car passed the MOT without the old switcheroo trick that used car dealers and their pet MOT testers use, ask if he is happy to have an independent MOT done with you being present. ANY smoke is an immediate fail.

Good luck
Thanks,

That's something I can try, I voiced my concerns come next mot how it would pass with the smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemacca01 View Post
How long ago did you buy it? If less than a month take it back and demand your money back.
I picked it up 9 days ago. I'm not sure it works like that considering it was purchased on finance?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #21
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
I don't believe there is a warranty with the car. One wasn't mentioned. It was purchased on finance through them.

Thanks,

That's something I can try, I voiced my concerns come next mot how it would pass with the smoke.

I picked it up 9 days ago. I'm not sure it works like that considering it was purchased on finance?
It does work like that. Consumer rights act. Informing the finance company would be your first port of call.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #22
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Just seen the pictures on Flickr.
That is an example of a modified 335d. The ride height is definitely not standard, the wheelbarrow exhausts are not standard, etc. Chances are it has been mapped and dpf gutted. You only gut the dpf on a serious power remap job. The remap has possibly been removed. The ECU has to be opened up on earlier remaps, you will probably be able to tell it has been done.

As above, I would look to reject. The history of that car could indicate a hard life.
Appreciate 2
Hooded1669.00