F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > XDrive Camber Recommendation
proTUNING Freaks

11-05-2021, 01:34 PM   #1
GuestBen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i XDrive

XDrive Camber Recommendation

Greetings. I'm dropping my car off next week at a performance shop (RRT, Sterling VA) to have the following components installed: Koni Special Active shocks, Eibach Pro Kit AWD springs, H&R sway bars front/rear, SPL sway bar end links front/rear, SPL front lower control arms, and VAC front upper control arms. Thanks to all of the excellent posts from johnung, FaRKle! and others that guided me in selecting those parts.

Car currently has stock suspension (non-adaptive, non M Sport). For wheels and tires, I'm on OEM 403M staggered wheels (19 x 8 front, 19 x 8.5 rear) with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06, 245/35 in the front and 265/35 in the rear. I'm also running some mild spacers front/rear. It's a daily driver and never tracked.

So here's my question: with these parts, how much front negative camber can I safely run without inviting axle problems?

I'm not looking for anything crazy, just a marginal bump over stock to aid turn in and cornering. Welcome any thoughts or recommendations, thanks.

Last edited by GuestBen; 11-06-2021 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

It's always prudent to plan these changes one at a time.

All the upgrades mentioned represent one major change. I suggest to keep OEM alignment specifications and drive the vehicle for a few weeks before considering camber (or other) changes.

Koni Special Active shocks + Eibach Pro springs alone will provide a measurable improvement in suspension behavior.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 06:26 AM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

@GuestBen have you had the opportunity to test drive a car which has H&R bars fitted along with coil overs ?

I ran H&R on my car for a couple of years and had them replaced with Eibach units. The H&R bars are very stiff and I found they caused issues with traction through bumpy corners.

I'm much happier with the car now.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 10:17 AM   #4
GuestBen
Private
United_States
Rep

Certainly not a bad idea to get everything installed and drive for a few weeks to allow for break-in and settling, then go back to dial in configuration. With supply chain delays it's taken me months to source all of these parts, so I'm a bit over-eager and impatient right now. Good advice nonetheless, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #5
GuestBen
Private
United_States
Rep

And no Watsey, I haven't had the opportunity to drive another F30 with H&R bars. I chose that combination of parts based solely on reading (many, many) forum posts. A really important consideration of mine was/is to improve handling/steering response while maintaining everyday drivability, and not noticeably increase NVH over stock. The true measure of that is will my wife notice a difference driving the car??? Really hope this package of upgrades achieves that balance.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 07:57 PM   #6
GuestBen
Private
United_States
Rep

Update: all parts were installed last week and an alignment was performed. Evidently the SPL lower control arms adjusted to their shortest length are slightly longer than the stock XDrive LCAs. Front camber was set for -1.6 degrees. Overall I'm very pleased with the changes, will review under a separate post.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-16-2021, 11:42 PM   #7
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Congrats! She must feel great after those mods.
Just be careful with adjusting the camber using the control arms. With more negative camber using longer control arms, it pushes the hub away from the center of the car. When that happens it pulls the axle splines apart and puts undue stress on them. In some extreme cases it can completely pull them apart. This is where most of the stories about damaged front axles I've seen have come from. I don't mess with that at all to be safe. My E90 was xDrive as well as my current F30. Combined I've probably driven north of 80k lowered in those cars. I've only either had factory plates or camber plates. My current F30 has been lowered to the point of my fenders having about finger gap or less all around for about the last 50k. I've never had any axle issues on either car.
I'd really recommend getting camber plates to adjust your camber anything past factory spec to be safe. Granted I don't know the max amount you can pull the axles apart because I've never wanted to use one of mine as a lab rat to measure and I've not had access to anyone else's for the same reason. However, if you added the plates and a little more negative camber, it would pull the struts in towards the center of the car and the hubs along with it. That would help bring the axle joints back closer to the previous position. I drive around with about -2.3 front camber and experience very little increased inner tire wear. If you're concerned with street-ability, I believe there's a couple street camber plates with a poly bushing in them to dampen NVH.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 05:54 PM   #8
Figgs_1979
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i, 2010 MCS

nice work!

Sounds like an amazing setup. Looking forward to hear your review in it. Just be mindful that once those springs settle a bit you'll Def need another alignment as caster will negative out some more? Learn from my mistakes ...lol..

Also not sure but corner balancing will really dial it in, usually a track thing but your investment seems pretty nice and really would be worth the extra tweak.

Do you have pics of the car before and after? Would love a glimpse.

Stay safe and Happy Holidays
Figs
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 08:53 AM   #9
Dave340
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3

GuestBen do you have an update/feedback on how you like the set-up after driving for awhile? The true test, does your wife notice the difference from a potential loss of traction, noise, vibration, and harshness standpoint?

I am looking to do something similar.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 09:54 AM   #10
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Also curious! The first suspension upgrade I would have recommended though is the wheels. Unfortunately too many take for granted just how much stock wheels impact handling with unnecessary un-sprung weight.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 05:31 PM   #11
Dave340
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Also curious! The first suspension upgrade I would have recommended though is the wheels. Unfortunately too many take for granted just how much stock wheels impact handling with unnecessary un-sprung weight.
Thanks for the feedback dmanb2b, I am also looking at the APEX ARC 8 group buy that is going on right now. So many decisions.
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2123.00
      02-21-2022, 07:13 PM   #12
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave340 View Post
Thanks for the feedback dmanb2b, I am also looking at the APEX ARC 8 group buy that is going on right now. So many decisions.
Do it! there is no better deal they offer. I ended up jumping on the forged GB a few weeks ago. The discount, free shipping, no NY sales tax collected and replacement warranty makes it a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 01:56 PM   #13
Tommi_Mav
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F32 435dx

Garage List
Quote:
Do it! there is no better deal they offer. I ended up jumping on the forged GB a few weeks ago. The discount, free shipping, no NY sales tax collected and replacement warranty makes it a great deal.
You got the best looking colour of all!
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2123.00
      02-22-2022, 03:32 PM   #14
Dave340
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Great looking wheels

Still debating what to spend my money on this year.
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2123.00