F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Rattles only heard from outside when playing music
ARMA SPEED
View Poll Results: Have you experienced these exterior rattles
Yes 16 76.19%
No 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

04-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Rattles only heard from outside when playing music

I was able to isolate the source of the rattles when playing music. The audio sounds fine from the interior, no complaints there. When you go outside to lock the car and close the door, that's when you are welcomed by these terrible rattles. It makes the car audio system sound terribly cheap, only from the outside.

I have experienced this with both the base and HK systems. Both 2013 and 2014 models and both South Africa and German built cars. I have even heard it when I pulled up to a guy in a 4 series playing his music loud (as you should )

The rattles are coming from the rocker panels. If you touch them you can even feel them vibrate.

I am interested in knowing how many of us have this issue. Anyone have any idea how it can be cured?

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp
I was able to isolate the source of the rattles when playing music. The audio sounds fine from the interior, no complaints there. When you go outside to lock the car and close the door, that's when you are welcomed by these terrible rattles. It makes the car audio system sound terribly cheap, only from the outside.

I have experienced this with both the base and HK systems. Both 2013 and 2014 models and both South Africa and German built cars. I have even heard it when I pulled up to a guy in a 4 series playing his music loud (as you should )

The rattles are coming from the rocker panels. If you touch them you can even feel them vibrate.

I am interested in knowing how many of us have this issue. Anyone have any idea how it can be cured?
I had a musicarNW package installed which included a corner sub. My wife and I checked for exterior rattles by BLASTING both electronic and hip hop. My license plate didn't even rattle.

I have heard others mention this with the HK. Maybe it is something with the additional HK speakers?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40
Quote:

I had a musicarNW package installed which included a corner sub. My wife and I checked for exterior rattles by BLASTING both electronic and hip hop. My license plate didn't even rattle.

I have heard others mention this with the HK. Maybe it is something with the additional HK speakers?
Thanks for the feedback and the votes.

The rattles occur with both the base and HK systems. Probably worse with the HK system since it's more powerful.

I think when they installed your system they must have added additional padding to make sure there are no exterior rattles.

It seems BMW figured since the interior is fine then no need to worry about the exterior. Logical but not exactly what I would expect at this price range.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

It's actually a known issue that was discussed here before. I did experience it once but interestingly I don't think it's happened again. I will give it a try. Not sure what the fix may be other than installing foam tape in strategic places.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330
It's actually a known issue that was discussed here before. I did experience it once but interestingly I don't think it's happened again. I will give it a try. Not sure what the fix may be other than installing foam tape in strategic places.
Where should the foam tape be placed?

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback and the votes.

The rattles occur with both the base and HK systems. Probably worse with the HK system since it's more powerful.

I think when they installed your system they must have added additional padding to make sure there are no exterior rattles.

It seems BMW figured since the interior is fine then no need to worry about the exterior. Logical but not exactly what I would expect at this price range.
I didn't have rattles with the base system. Also, my installer did not add additional padding. We discussed if but opted against it.

Good luck with finding the source!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Haven't done it nor have I heard it being done but it's the standard fix for rattles. It needs to be placed wherever the rocker panel contacts the car body. This may or may not be possible depending on how it's contacting the car. You may want to check if the dealer has a fix first, but, most likely they won't. They'll just try to reinstall them and if that doesn't work, tell you that it's normal and you shouldn't be into electronic music. Then you will try the foam fix...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Haven't done it nor have I heard it being done but it's the standard fix for rattles. It needs to be placed wherever the rocker panel contacts the car body. This may or may not be possible depending on how it's contacting the car. You may want to check if the dealer has a fix first, but, most likely they won't. They'll just try to reinstall them and if that doesn't work, tell you that it's normal and you shouldn't be into electronic music. Then you will try the foam fix...
Lol, I think you could be right. The dealership is not going to do anything about this and I can see the scenario you pointed out playing out exactly like that. We may be on our own here.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

If someone has a fix for this, i would very much be interested doing that to my car...

On top of depreciation, this rattle is the other thing that make my car loses value...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #10
amoeba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330i zhp, F30 335-MSport

I read somewhere the bass from HK vents into the side skirts. And it's the side skirts that's rattling.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoeba
I read somewhere the bass from HK vents into the side skirts. And it's the side skirts that's rattling.
Side skirts, I think that's a better description of where this is coming from. Thanks

I did experience the rattles in the base system too though. I guess both vent out into the same place

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
Coolhydro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ducati , f30 335i sport

It is coming somewhere from the door panels.
      04-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #13
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

I was at the NY Auto Show yesterday and we won't be alone with these rattles, the M3 and M4 have the same issue. The E9x has the same issue too

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #14
pflau
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

Mine doesn't have a rattle issue. I played a song with heavy bass, turned up way high to what I considering to be rather excessive volume level, got out of the car, close the door, and found that the sound heard from the outside is actually quite muted.

But than perhaps I don't have the HK sound.

Or perhaps the piece I played did not have enough low register bass. We should have a standard test song.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #15
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

On my old car just about everything vibrated inside and out including the licence plate, does it really matter if it's on the outside?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #16
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

I really want to get this fixed as well. It sounds god awful when people around the vehicle hear the rattles, it completely takes away the appeal of the vehicle. A buddy of mine couldn't believe BMW was serious by letting this kind of obnoxious rattling noise hit the roads to show off to the world. It sounds cheap, even though it's not.

I was considering taking it to the dealer, but after this post: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973825, I'm a little worried my result will turn out terrible as well.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #17
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

I did a test today and realized that the car sounds fine from inside, outside from the front and outside from the back. The car sounds turrible (think Charles Barley) from outside on both sides. Doesn't matter if volume is low or high. It just sounds turrible.

My other car was scheduled to go in for service for another issue which got fixed at another dealership this week. Since I have an open spot to get the car in this week I will just bring my f30 and tell them to fix this. They should be able to do something about it.

I will keep you guys posted

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #18
retiredmarine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i msport

yeah this has been discussed, and mine has the same issue. sounds like a ghetto big box chevy when you hear it rattling from the outside. its the rocker panels, and i have the m sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #19
DanielBimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

I had the biggest problem with this on my msport rocker panels, such a long story but I ended up getting new panels and they still rattle.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #20
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Is this a problem that's isolated to msports?

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #21
joz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

If you play your speakers loud enough in any car things will start to rattle. Everything on your car has a resonance frequency. When you excite a piece at the resonant frequency you get amplification or a slow decay (i.e. rattle). Car manufacturers design cars to avoid resonance from things like highway cruising RPM (so your steering wheel doesn't rattle etc.).

Music has quite a range of frequencies and inherently you will hit a note that will excite a specific component or even the car (chassis). The source of excitation may not always be high enough in amplitude to cause a rattle, but if you crank your sound system there will be enough energy. There are ways to minimize it via isolation and i'm sure BMW put a lot of effort into isolating the cabin. To be honest the last thing BMW wants to do is invest previous time into keeping the pedestrian beside you free from a couple rattles.

If your driving comfort isn't compromised then its probably not worth worrying about or designing for.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #22
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joz
If you play your speakers loud enough in any car things will start to rattle. Everything on your car has a resonance frequency. When you excite a piece at the resonant frequency you get amplification or a slow decay (i.e. rattle). Car manufacturers design cars to avoid resonance from things like highway cruising RPM (so your steering wheel doesn't rattle etc.).

Music has quite a range of frequencies and inherently you will hit a note that will excite a specific component or even the car (chassis). The source of excitation may not always be high enough in amplitude to cause a rattle, but if you crank your sound system there will be enough energy. There are ways to minimize it via isolation and i'm sure BMW put a lot of effort into isolating the cabin. To be honest the last thing BMW wants to do is invest previous time into keeping the pedestrian beside you free from a couple rattles.

If your driving comfort isn't compromised then its probably not worth worrying about or designing for.
I have never owned a car with rocker panels that vibrate. Granted BMW adds woofers in the floor of the front seats and no one else does this but my X5 which has a LOUDER audio system than the F30 NEVER rattles.

I think some people would be willing to leave with this but I paid a lot of money for this car and simply won't accept that every time I lock the car from the outside I hear these rattles. The volume does not even need to be at the 1/4 mark for those panels to rattle

Appreciate 0