F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Anyone fancying a Boxster / Cayman GTS for Xmas...
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-27-2020, 02:59 AM   #23
isleaiw1
Major General
4282
Rep
7,573
Posts

Drives: RS4 / Mini Cooper 5 door
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
Exactly the 718 GTS 4.0 will be the classic last petrol-engined mid-engined Porsche. Naturally aspirated engine and better steering feel than earlier Boxers and Caymans. Will become a collector's item. If I could garage two cars I would be placing an order.

The 2.5 718 GTS just not have the same attraction which is why they are at a discount and the GTS 4.0 worth more than the extra even when 2.5 discounted. Many think the 4.0 GTS 718 a better buy than current 911's which are not worth the extra money. At the time of the 981 Boxers/Caymens many on the Porsche forums thought the then 911 worth the extra and this 718 4.0 GTS a better car than equivalent 981 overall


https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...2020-uk-review


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33SC1IHld9Q
Absolutely true. When I specced a GTS 4.0 though I quickly got to near £80k with a few extras. That is a lot of money to finance if you want a car to use not to collect.

The 2.5T may not be a classic but we are talking a different price range at these sorts of discounts. And its still a very highly rated car.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 03:14 AM   #24
JustChris
General
JustChris's Avatar
Isle of Man
12191
Rep
21,231
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the heads up but personally would have to be the 4.0.... there's a reason they have 4 2.5s in stock
Appreciate 1
Sennen750.50

      11-27-2020, 03:17 AM   #25
JustChris
General
JustChris's Avatar
Isle of Man
12191
Rep
21,231
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
The 4.0 GTS is a fine car but you were alluding to a 'collectors car' and on that premise the GT4 will be the one to get.
Both will be collectors cars but unless prepared to pay over the odds in s/h market or have a record of buying a large number of Porsche's from an Official Porsche Centre and hence in their VIP or VIC "Customer" lists, the very limited no of GT4s are not available to most.
Agree, most reviewers point out little difference unless at 10/10ths on the GT car. Also the GT4 cnsrs are all bought by @@@@@@@'S and run for about 1000 miles and then sold for +£20k or at least listed for +£20k. I suppose someone must but them at mark up used but it won't ever be me!!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 03:36 AM   #26
F30Andy
Brigadier General
F30Andy's Avatar
United Kingdom
1141
Rep
3,083
Posts

Drives: F90 CP
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
Have you still got the 911?
Unfortunately yes.

Have given up on replacing it this year due to the amount of stuff I have going on at the moment.

Will explore it again in the new year.

If you want it, ill let you take it off me for £100k
Appreciate 1
DB118D397.00

      11-27-2020, 04:30 AM   #27
Sennen
Major
Sennen's Avatar
751
Rep
1,329
Posts

Drives: BMW M2
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Absolutely true. When I specced a GTS 4.0 though I quickly got to near £80k with a few extras. That is a lot of money to finance if you want a car to use not to collect.

The 2.5T may not be a classic but we are talking a different price range at these sorts of discounts. And its still a very highly rated car.
It is certainly not a bad car, the engine comes in for a lot of abuse but it is a potent unit and gets the job done.

The issue is Porsche are offering large discounts which is virtually unheard of....... a portent of things to come I suspect.

Unless you are desperate wait until next year would be my advice and let's see what far more desirable machinery hits the financial skids.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 04:32 AM   #28
isleaiw1
Major General
4282
Rep
7,573
Posts

Drives: RS4 / Mini Cooper 5 door
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Thanks for the heads up but personally would have to be the 4.0.... there's a reason they have 4 2.5s in stock
I think the 4.0 GTS is the pick of the bunch but you cant get one for £5k and £550/month, I know as I looked! I think here you are getting GTS style and trim for S money (or maybe less as stock cars)....

Anyway, much as i tried to justify trading the Mini for one its not for me given work / no pay rise and no bonus....
Appreciate 1
JustChris12191.00

      11-27-2020, 05:20 AM   #29
pmgreenwood
Captain
United Kingdom
160
Rep
768
Posts

Drives: F31 320D se auto sold 2019,
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Sussex UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I think the 4.0 GTS is the pick of the bunch but you cant get one for £5k and £550/month, I know as I looked! I think here you are getting GTS style and trim for S money (or maybe less as stock cars)....

Anyway, much as i tried to justify trading the Mini for one its not for me given work / no pay rise and no bonus....
But individuals buying a 4.0 GTS has a last ICE sportscar to keep well past 2030 will not be buying on PCP. If they need finance, they will sensible be planning how to deal with the GFV when due and sensible be planning to finance the vehicle with some form of personal loan.


I do accept the point you making about 2.5 GTS being in a different price bracket, I am just saying if they is anyway the individual can afford it then the extra for a 4.0 GTS is worth it as I suspect the only extra cost will be interest on the higher purchase price with depreciation being at worst similar
Appreciate 1
Sennen750.50

      11-27-2020, 05:25 AM   #30
isleaiw1
Major General
4282
Rep
7,573
Posts

Drives: RS4 / Mini Cooper 5 door
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
But individuals buying a 4.0 GTS has a last ICE sportscar to keep well past 2030 will not be buying on PCP. If they need finance, they will sensible be planning how to deal with the GFV when due and sensible be planning to finance the vehicle with some form of personal loan.


I do accept the point you making about 2.5 GTS being in a different price bracket, I am just saying if they is anyway the individual can afford it then the extra for a 4.0 GTS is worth it as I suspect the only extra cost will be interest on the higher purchase price with depreciation being at worst similar
Agreed. I was touting it more as a cheap way into a better than base Boxster. I think they are much easier to justify as a £50k car than a £75k car - well they are to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #31
Sennen
Major
Sennen's Avatar
751
Rep
1,329
Posts

Drives: BMW M2
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
But individuals buying a 4.0 GTS has a last ICE sportscar to keep well past 2030 will not be buying on PCP. If they need finance, they will sensible be planning how to deal with the GFV when due and sensible be planning to finance the vehicle with some form of personal loan.


I do accept the point you making about 2.5 GTS being in a different price bracket, I am just saying if they is anyway the individual can afford it then the extra for a 4.0 GTS is worth it as I suspect the only extra cost will be interest on the higher purchase price with depreciation being at worst similar
Totally agree.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if over a 5 year period a 4.0 GTS would actually work out cheaper than the 2.5GTS.

I havent driven a 2.5 but it has not been well received and imo your money would be far better off in a good used 981 for those that cannot stretch to a 4.0 718.
Appreciate 1
JustChris12191.00

      11-27-2020, 09:37 AM   #32
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
186
Rep
746
Posts

Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Edinburgh

iTrader: (0)

Agree on the general consensus re the 2.5 vs 4.0. At the same time though the price difference is pretty material so, a bit like comparing a 320 and 340i.

Whilst the engine in the 2.5 is considered a bit lacking don't discount it out of hand. My mate drove one at the Ring and said he was impressed and felt it was very effective on track and lighter on its feet than the 6 cylinder.

Last edited by Cootie; 11-27-2020 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
isleaiw14282.00

      11-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #33
isleaiw1
Major General
4282
Rep
7,573
Posts

Drives: RS4 / Mini Cooper 5 door
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
Agree on the general consensus re the 2.5 vs 4.0. At the same time though the price difference is pretty material so, a bit like comparing a 320 and 340i.

Whilst the engine in the 2.5 is considered a bit lacking don't discount it out of hand. My mate drove one at the Ring and said he was impressed and felt it was very effective on track and lighter on its feet than the 6 cylinder.
forum standard though...
OP -I can afford a 318i,,,
Varying responses - no you should buy a 320i...... if you are going for a 320i might as well buy a 330i.... I wouldnt get a 330i, I'd go for the best driving one and get a 340i, maybe even an M3....

OP - do I need an M3 for popping to the shops?

Only threw it out there in case anyone fancied treating themselves...it is black Friday after all!
Appreciate 2
adam.b99.00
MattRST101.00

      11-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #34
Bryans69
Captain
426
Rep
721
Posts

Drives: 540i Touring, MGB Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: surrey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
forum standard though...
OP -I can afford a 318i,,,
Varying responses - no you should buy a 320i...... if you are going for a 320i might as well buy a 330i.... I wouldnt get a 330i, I'd go for the best driving one and get a 340i, maybe even an M3....

OP - do I need an M3 for popping to the shops?

Only threw it out there in case anyone fancied treating themselves...it is black Friday after all!
At least with the Boxster we don't have to spend 6 pages arguing over whether to go for the pano sunroof
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #35
Sennen
Major
Sennen's Avatar
751
Rep
1,329
Posts

Drives: BMW M2
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Just had a look on the Porsche Configurator and the 2.5 GTS doesnt seem to be on there anymore, so these are going to be 'run out' models............... nothing wrong with that but there is 'only' a 10k differential between the 2.5S and 4.0GTS. I suspect the differential was only 5k ish between the 2.5GTS and 4.0GTS

Makes the 4.0GTS look like a bargain at £64k, i doubt i would add anything to it either.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #36
Goneinsixtyseconds
Major General
Goneinsixtyseconds's Avatar
United Kingdom
4084
Rep
7,449
Posts

Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
Agree on the general consensus re the 2.5 vs 4.0. At the same time though the price difference is pretty material so, a bit like comparing a 320 and 340i.

Whilst the engine in the 2.5 is considered a bit lacking don't discount it out of hand. My mate drove one at the Ring and said he was impressed and felt it was very effective on track and lighter on its feet than the 6 cylinder.
I drove one at the Porsche experience centre at Silverstone, it was brilliant on that track. First couple of laps I didn’t like it, lack of torque and sound wasn’t great. But then I sort of got it, it was light, not silly fast, and meant you could drive at much nearer 100% round the track.

I’d driven a Carrera 4S for 45 minutes before on the same track. The Boxter was miles and miles more fun to drive once you got used to it.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 11-27-2020 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
JustChris12191.00
MattRST101.00

      11-27-2020, 12:09 PM   #37
davyk31
Major General
701
Rep
6,574
Posts

Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Itís a fun little track at the PEC. Great day out and the only cost is you have to have ordered a new Porsche lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 12:11 PM   #38
JustChris
General
JustChris's Avatar
Isle of Man
12191
Rep
21,231
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
It’s a fun little track at the PEC. Great day out and the only cost is you have to have ordered a new Porsche lol.
Indeed 'free' with every £70k
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 12:37 PM   #39
DB118D
Major
397
Rep
1,055
Posts

Drives: 118d Sport
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
Have you still got the 911?
Unfortunately yes.

Have given up on replacing it this year due to the amount of stuff I have going on at the moment.

Will explore it again in the new year.

If you want it, ill let you take it off me for £100k
About £99k over my budget 😂
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #40
Goneinsixtyseconds
Major General
Goneinsixtyseconds's Avatar
United Kingdom
4084
Rep
7,449
Posts

Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
It’s a fun little track at the PEC. Great day out and the only cost is you have to have ordered a new Porsche lol.
You can pay to do corporate days with customers, which we did, and was great.

You can also just pay to go as an individual. 90 mins on track is £295 with the driving instructor next to you getting you faster and faster each lap.

Compared to the super car track day offers out there, where you get limited drive time and don’t get to go flat out, seems like a bargain to me.

Think I might go for another go in the Spring.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 01:23 PM   #41
pmgreenwood
Captain
United Kingdom
160
Rep
768
Posts

Drives: F31 320D se auto sold 2019,
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Sussex UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
You can pay to do corporate days with customers, which we did, and was great.

You can also just pay to go as an individual. 90 mins on track is £295 with the driving instructor next to you getting you faster and faster each lap.

Compared to the super car track day offers out there, where you get limited drive time and donít get to go flat out, seems like a bargain to me.

Think I might go for another go in the Spring.
At present with Covid restrictions, from reports on the Porsche forums, the instructor is in a car behind you and talking electronically. Those who have gone still enjoying it but others saving their attendance until the normal operation has returned.

When I was thinking of ordering a Macan, one Porsche centre said to put a refundable deposit for a spot on the waiting, that then triggered a PEC session where you could try different specs of car eg wheel and suspension choices to help settle the spec. In practice, I did that by trying three different used cars for sale at different dealers and did my 1/2 day at PEC 3 months after my car was delivered and I had got well used to road driving the model before trying the same model on the track. I think I learnt more that way.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #42
isleaiw1
Major General
4282
Rep
7,573
Posts

Drives: RS4 / Mini Cooper 5 door
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
At least with the Boxster we don't have to spend 6 pages arguing over whether to go for the pano sunroof
Can you get a sunroof on the Cayman...

12 pages on whether you need sport chrono, PASM, torque vectoring, and the multitude of other extras that you can spend money on - heated seats maybe....

at least if its in stock you take what they have....
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:00 AM   #43
davyk31
Major General
701
Rep
6,574
Posts

Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

iTrader: (0)

I did my half day at PEC almost 3 years after getting my Macan. Did have to get them to reauthorise the invitation but was fine. Also didnít want to go and drive a Macan so asked for a 992 which was no problem and great fun. As a Porsche client you get breakfast and lunch as well as the driving time, wife and 2 kids are there too for no extra charge and a great day our family will remember for a while. Wife and kids also got a few fast laps with the instructor which they loved.
Appreciate 3
      11-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #44
Wills2
Barge driver
Wills2's Avatar
United Kingdom
6747
Rep
10,982
Posts

Drives: X3M
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

I've been lucky to have gone 5 times to the PEC by invite, it's a really good day I think they have given up on me now though!
__________________
X3M/Z4C, Gone G11 740d xdrive/F80 M3/F10 M5/F31 335d/e92 M3 x 2/F10 520d x 2/997 C2S/e46 M3/e46 320d/SL320/Touareg 3.2V6/Audi allroad 2.7TDi
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST