F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Coding
ARMA SPEED

01-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
Gsport
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i Sportline

Coding

I have been reading all the really useful info on the Forum in regards to coding and there are some pretty useful changes that can be made....however....I don't think I am brave enough to tackle this on my own not withstanding pretty clear instruction being available. Some options
Does anyone know of someone in the Melbourne area that has the experience to do this?
Alternatively if anyone is interested then maybe a few of us could buy a cable and get brave enough to share the experience.
I do have a friend that does work on my Gransport that's very tech savvy and has the ability and kit to fiddle with my ECU settings so I am sure he could get up to speed with doing this if sufficient numbers are interested
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Just do it mate.

$20 for the cable and $50 for the token!

It is not as hard as it initially looks mate and I, and others, are more than happy to help you through it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
J
It is not as hard as it initially looks mate and I, and others, are more than happy to help you through it.
I have to agree. Once you've sorted the software side out and have a few cheat sheets available (happy to share my 'step by step' coding sheet), then you're all set.

As HFW003 says, others are willing to assist. To a degree, there's too much info out there, it just makes things confusing.

Last edited by SimonB; 01-07-2014 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:50 AM   #4
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

It is pretty easy, I was petrified I was going to stuff something up the first time I did, but It worked a treat. I have a few cheat sheets and instructions of mine own at home as well if you are interested.
Speaking of which, HFW003 is there any new and exciting coding out? I haven't coded in a couple of months.
Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:04 AM   #5
Gsport
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks everyone I'll have a go when the car is delivered which is hopefully early next week. The daughters Getz is OK but......
Any recommendations on where to buy the cable and token?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:26 AM   #6
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallust View Post
It is pretty easy, I was petrified I was going to stuff something up the first time I did, but It worked a treat. I have a few cheat sheets and instructions of mine own at home as well if you are interested.
Speaking of which, HFW003 is there any new and exciting coding out? I haven't coded in a couple of months.
Hello mate, there's been nothing I have been interested in doing, unfortunately.

I'll keep my eye out for you!

Be safe.

H
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:28 AM   #7
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsport View Post
Any recommendations on where to buy the cable and token?
I'll send you a PM with the details mate.

I just happened to be looking at docsimon's car today and I have to download all new files as the new cars have updated ECU files.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:31 AM   #8
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

I am from Melbourne and i have done some coding myself. Very straight forward and a lot of help to get started in this forum. My software is out of date so give it a shot! just remember to backup and nothing can go wrong
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:27 AM   #9
Gsport
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
I am from Melbourne and i have done some coding myself. Very straight forward and a lot of help to get started in this forum. My software is out of date so give it a shot! just remember to backup and nothing can go wrong
Thanks very much . I am sure I'll have lots of questions before I'm done so thanks for your support and encouragement.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
jamesp
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
I'll send you a PM with the details mate.

I just happened to be looking at docsimon's car today and I have to download all new files as the new cars have updated ECU files.
Ditto for me please, I don't get the car until March but want the cable. What is the token used for?

I have a Ross-Tech Vag-Com cable here that soon won't be getting any use, thinking I should hold onto it just incase I don't like the 335i 8-).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #11
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
Ditto for me please, I don't get the car until March but want the cable. What is the token used for?

I have a Ross-Tech Vag-Com cable here that soon won't be getting any use, thinking I should hold onto it just incase I don't like the 335i 8-).
The token is what you need to purchase to be able to FDL code, without it you cant do any "normal" coding.

You'll love the new car mate!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 04:55 AM   #12
jamesp
Private
Australia
Rep

Cable arrived today (21 Jan) - ordered 8 Jan.

Still waiting for the car...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #13
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:

James,

I don't know of anyone else in Adelaide that has tackled coding.

I'm rather gun-shy of tackling coding myself (especially for the first time), but if you are game to do this and could help me out, I would be more than happy to contribute to the costs of the cable and token if you could assist me with some minor coding.

I'm sure, after some hands-on tuition, I could probably pick up the art of coding. A picture (in this case a demonstration) paints a thousand words.

When will your car arrive?
      01-22-2014, 01:35 AM   #14
GAV-F30
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328I M-SPORT

Quote:

My I ask where you buy this cable I want one also......Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 02:08 AM   #15
jamesp
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
James,

I don't know of anyone else in Adelaide that has tackled coding.

I'm rather gun-shy of tackling coding myself (especially for the first time), but if you are game to do this and could help me out, I would be more than happy to contribute to the costs of the cable and token if you could assist me with some minor coding.

I'm sure, after some hands-on tuition, I could probably pick up the art of coding. A picture (in this case a demonstration) paints a thousand words.

When will your car arrive?
Late March/early April which is a bit later than promised when I placed the order.

I have done a few Audi's using the Ross-Tech cable, but that is a US developed emulation of the VAG system so it's all in English. I'm less confident on the BMW side as the tools appear to be more complex, but happy to give it a shot. Just need to find a windows laptop. Happy to learn together as well. There's another F30 335i M-Sport in our Adelaide office so I might see if he lets me get some practice in on his first!

Once I worked out the Audi system I did some coding on my travels to other states with colleagues as well and suspect will do the same with the BMW if it's easy to work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAV-F30 View Post
My I ask where you buy this cable I want one also......Thanks
PM sent.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 03:08 AM   #16
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Late March/early April which is a bit later than promised when I placed the order.

I have done a few Audi's using the Ross-Tech cable, but that is a US developed emulation of the VAG system so it's all in English. I'm less confident on the BMW side as the tools appear to be more complex, but happy to give it a shot. Just need to find a windows laptop. Happy to learn together as well. There's another F30 335i M-Sport in our Adelaide office so I might see if he lets me get some practice in on his first!

Once I worked out the Audi system I did some coding on my travels to other states with colleagues as well and suspect will do the same with the BMW if it's easy to work out.

PM sent.
James,

Haven't received your PM, but I have a couple of windows laptops. The older one has been "cleaned" and is now just sitting at home doing nothing. It's running Win7 Ultimate.
You're more than welcome to play with this as it has none of my work stuff on and I'm not fussed should it inadvertently get corrupted.

I'm overseas at the moment, but if you would like to pick up the laptop to have a play, I'll let my wife know about it.
      02-03-2014, 03:31 AM   #17
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

PM sent.
JamesP,
Did you manage to practise any coding on your friend's car?
If not, and you're willing to give coding a try, I'll be back in Adelaide for almost a month (fly in 13th Feb). I'd be willing to donate my car as the guinea pig.
I also have a laptop PC that we could use.
      02-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #18
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not yet, too busy traveling and I've only been in the Adelaide office briefly in the past few weeks so haven't even spoken with my colleague.

After the 13th might work. Dealer now says my car will arrive late March.
No worries. I'm sure we can sort something out.
I'll send you a PM with my Adelaide phone numbers. Perhaps you can call when it's convenient for you (after 13th Feb).
      02-10-2014, 05:26 AM   #19
hifer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i

Will coding void warranty?

Hey guys, I'll getting my new 320i in 2 days time and I can't wait to play around with the codes!

Before I get started, does anyone know whether I'll void my warranty by say activating the Sport+ mode and launch control on my car? Do you guys normally restore the stock codes before sending it in to the stealership for service?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #20
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

The general rule of thumb would be the warranty would be voided IF the coding actually caused the issue and it could be proven so.

Coding as such is just changing already existing values in the ECU's and therefore it would be highly unlikely this would have an impact on warranty.

I have never "changed back" my car and I have never heard of anyone doing so. In my experience the dealer, even if they actually noticed a change, wouldn't give a flying fark.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 05:59 AM   #21
Uri
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i Sportline JB4 Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifer View Post
Hey guys, I'll getting my new 320i in 2 days time and I can't wait to play around with the codes!

Before I get started, does anyone know whether I'll void my warranty by say activating the Sport+ mode and launch control on my car? Do you guys normally restore the stock codes before sending it in to the stealership for service?

Thanks!!
Wow didn't realise there was the ability to set a launch mode within Sport +. Now I'm interested in this coding thing. Also would love to say good bye to the Warning screen each time I start up. Anyone in Perth done any of this coding? i'd love to learn more. thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 06:01 AM   #22
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Simonb has, haven't seen him around much though.

Send him a PM maybe?
Appreciate 0